Should the Flyers trade for Chycrun if Ellis is on borrowed time

RonJeremy

Let's say Ellis isn't coming back or is gonna be in and out of the lineup from now on...do we trade for a guy like Chycrun? 

In order to have the assets AZ would want, do we trade Provorov to another team for a top young NHL ready player and a first round pick and then add a guy like Frost in a package to AZ for Chycrun? In doing this you are replacing Provorov with Chycrun and losing Frost who can be replaced with somone like Savoie in the draft. So we really are not gutting the team with this type of trade.

I have not seen AZ play at all this year, so I am only going by what I hear about him. Is Chycrun that good and a legit #1 guy? Is he that much better than Provorov, that we should trade Provorov? Anyone who had seen Chycrun play, please add some comments and insight.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

do we trade Provorov to another team for a top young NHL ready player and a first round pick

I don't think Provorov will fetch anywhere near that much. And I wouldn't trade him because eventually he will be worth that much - and of course once he is there'd be no point in trading him.

I like your thinking. Chychrun is a nice upgrade right now and his contract is friendly. I'd love to have him but not at the expense of Provorov - or Sanheim...or even the younger D-men like York, Attard, Zamula.

For once I think it's time the Flyers just concentrate on developing what they've got. Unload JVR, figure out what's up with Ellis, and hope that Hayes' injuries are ... no wait I shouldn't do that... Anyway - I hope there's only small moves this summer.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Let's say Ellis isn't coming back or is gonna be in and out of the lineup from now on...do we trade for a guy like Chycrun? 

In order to have the assets AZ would want, do we trade Provorov to another team for a top young NHL ready player and a first round pick and then add a guy like Frost in a package to AZ for Chycrun? In doing this you are replacing Provorov with Chycrun and losing Frost who can be replaced with somone like Savoie in the draft. So we really are not gutting the team with this type of trade.

I have not seen AZ play at all this year, so I am only going by what I hear about him. Is Chycrun that good and a legit #1 guy? Is he that much better than Provorov, that we should trade Provorov? Anyone who had seen Chycrun play, please add some comments and insight.

Can the Flyers really afford anymore of the Fletcher special 2 for 1, 3 for 1, 4 for 1? (Ok, not all his trades are 2 for 1...Ghost was 2 for none)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Can the Flyers really afford anymore of the Fletcher special 2 for 1, 3 for 1, 4 for 1? (Ok, not all his trades are 2 for 1...Ghost was 2 for none)

What we really can't afford is to sign another fading 30 yr old player to a long and bloated contract. I don't care how good a season Godreau and Kadri had, it's a contract year and they will never equal it again, you might get two more good years and that's it. Unfortunately that's exactly what Schmuck will do since we are only a few pieces away according to his BBB plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don't think Provorov will fetch anywhere near that much. And I wouldn't trade him because eventually he will be worth that much - and of course once he is there'd be no point in trading him.

I like your thinking. Chychrun is a nice upgrade right now and his contract is friendly. I'd love to have him but not at the expense of Provorov - or Sanheim...or even the younger D-men like York, Attard, Zamula.

For once I think it's time the Flyers just concentrate on developing what they've got. Unload JVR, figure out what's up with Ellis, and hope that Hayes' injuries are ... no wait I shouldn't do that... Anyway - I hope there's only small moves this summer.

If Ellis is done, there's no way Shmuck does not go after another washed up vet for the first pair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

No pass on this he is not better than Provy.

He maybe slightly better than Ghost.

He is not what they need.

I'd rather pull up within the organization.

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Correctomundo. The biggest problem with the Flyer blue line is the Flyer forwards. Worst in the league. They would make Hedman and Makar look bad. Lazy, soft, low IQ.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

What we really can't afford is to sign another fading 30 yr old player to a long and bloated contract. I don't care how good a season Godreau and Kadri had, it's a contract year and they will never equal it again, you might get two more good years and that's it. Unfortunately that's exactly what Schmuck will do since we are only a few pieces away according to his BBB plan.

You're preaching to the driver of the bus of the orchestra of the lynch mob that hated Chuck the day he was hired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think most teams want to work with the players they drafted and work with them to see the progress. At least that is the way I think it is supposed to go.  Trades that are unilateral like Provorov for Chycrun just don't make much sense.  Now if some team is offering an upgrade of a player that is around the same age as Provorov that makes sense. Just don't make a trade because a player is having a down year that is just going to end up giving you the same type of player in return. 

3 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

I think most teams want to work with the players they drafted and work with them to see the progress. At least that is the way I think it is supposed to go.  Trades that are unilateral like Provorov for Chycrun just don't make much sense.  Now if some team is offering an upgrade of a player that is around the same age as Provorov that makes sense. Just don't make a trade because a player is having a down year that is just going to end up giving you the same type of player in return. 

Unless of course your entire org. is run by idiots...which ours is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We need to keep this team in tact for next year. Resign Thompson and he can the power play for all I care.  Connor Bedards stats as 16 year old - 100 points and 51 goals on a bad team.  I can live with a couple bad seasons if it means getting Bedard.

• Good Post 2

If Arizona would take 3-4 of your old talent for Chycrun heck yea. 
But I doubt they will. 
Why trade your good young talent for someone else’s young talent?

Chycrun is good but at what cost?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

If Arizona would take 3-4 of your old talent for Chycrun heck yea. 
But I doubt they will. 
Why trade your good young talent for someone else’s young talent?

Chycrun is good but at what cost?

Especially when you know damn well Fletch will get fleeced in the deal.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

We need to keep this team in tact for next year. Resign Thompson and he can the power play for all I care.  Connor Bedards stats as 16 year old - 100 points and 51 goals on a bad team.  I can live with a couple bad seasons if it means getting Bedard.

But they won't see JVR and Nolan Patrick.

If it wasn't for bad luck wouldn't have any.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

If Ellis is done, there's no way Shmuck does not go after another washed up vet for the first pair.

Yeah of course you’re right, and the phony Philly press will all see the “wisdom” of replacing Ellis with another 30-year old who can mentor….blah blah blah. Never mind that Provorov’s best games have been after the TD. Sanheim’s played better, he’s more confident without having to drag along Ristolainen.

But hey that cap money doesn’t do any good unless you spend it. Jeez they should’ve just kept Holmgren on the job.

3 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

Flyers fans watch him day in and day out in games and get frustrated,

The frustration with Provorov has all but ended since the TD. Justin Braun played well as his partner but Provorov’s game was terrible. Braun gets traded, Provy gets York, sometimes Sanheim, and suddenly no more mistakes. At least no more head-scratching WTF kind of mistakes. 

If Fletcher trades Provorov and the return is anything less than OMG YES!! ….well I won’t even let myself think of it. It’s only a game right? Right.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, albertaflyer said:

I wish but, with the infusion of the young players and with Hayes and Coots and possibly Ellis being healthy, I don't see us being anywhere near this bad. The only chance we have is if they hire Yandle to coach the defense. 

Edited by RonJeremy

18 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I wish but, with the infusion of the young players and with Hayes and Coots and possibly Ellis being healthy, I don't see us being anywhere near this bad. The only chance we have is if they hire Yandle to coach the defense. 

Wonder what this means...

What about the players...

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/04/flyers-trainers-sue-comcast-others-after-cancer-diagnoses-allegedly-resulting-from-zamboni-chemicals-in-voorhees-practice-facility.html

Flyers Trainers Sue Comcast, Others, after Cancer Diagnoses Allegedly Resulting from Zamboni Chemicals in Voorhees Practice Facility
Edited by OccamsRazor

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What about the players...

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/04/flyers-trainers-sue-comcast-others-after-cancer-diagnoses-allegedly-resulting-from-zamboni-chemicals-in-voorhees-practice-facility.html

Flyers Trainers Sue Comcast, Others, after Cancer Diagnoses Allegedly Resulting from Zamboni Chemicals in Voorhees Practice Facility

Wow, if this is the case I feel bad for the trainers but can zamboni chemicals also cause repeated injuries and constant do over surgeries to so many players. Maybe they are breathing in the chemicals and that's why they are lethargic for long stretches in the second period. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The frustration with Provorov has all but ended since the TD. Justin Braun played well as his partner but Provorov’s game was terrible. Braun gets traded, Provy gets York, sometimes Sanheim, and suddenly no more mistakes. At least no more head-scratching WTF kind of mistakes. 

If Fletcher trades Provorov and the return is anything less than OMG YES!! ….well I won’t even let myself think of it. It’s only a game right? Right.

Sometimes chemistry is a huge key in the mix of things and there can be times when a player just doesn't fit in or in this case work with another player. 

Any trade for a guy with the youth of Provorov and the talent has to land something back that is going to say WOW that trade just made our team a hell of a lot better. Not a trade where you get a player that is going to end up giving you the same sort of stats as the player you traded. 

• Good Post 1