This team needs a new Captain asap

Guest phlfly

Well, it's clear Pronger is gone and doesn't come back, so time to move on. We need a captain now otherwise this team will not make playoff.

So my candidate would be Bryzgalov. He is well speaking with media; fans loved him, even NHL fans loved across a country. just imagine, he skates to the refs and saying to him - "why are you so upset and sending my player to the box, it's just a game!" Well I'm just kidding!!! :)

Seriously, would you think a good idea to make Timmo or Jagr or Giroux or Talbot a captain of this team. My first choice would be Timmo second - Talbot third - Jagr fourth - Giroux

A Hundred times no. I said this before when it came up and I'll say it again. Until Chris tells the team to give the C to someone else, you do NOT take it away. It sends a poor message to everyone else.

Besides, Timonen, Jagr, Talbot...they're not going to become better leaders just because you slap the C on their chest. A leader is a leader regardless of title. The team needs a real leader in the locker room. If they have one, he's already stepped up and assumed de facto captaincy through his words and actions. If they don't, a letter isn't going to change things, and may make things worse by putting pressure on someone who isn't comfortable in the role.

A Hundred times no. I said this before when it came up and I'll say it again. Until Chris tells the team to give the C to someone else, you do NOT take it away. It sends a poor message to everyone else.

I have to disagree on this with you AJ. Chris Pronger needs to understand what his team needs right now. He can't give it to them so He should turn in the "C" at the very least until he returns to the ice...There have been many instances where a Captain could intercede with the media and take some of the pressure off of the comment king. There have also been instances where people have gotten extra penalties for commenting to the refs where if the had the "C", it is possible that it would have made a difference. Pronger by his own admission is not getting better and if he does not want to step to the plate and do what needs to be done then it is on the Flyers Brass to make it happen...

Which is exactly what I said. If he gives it up, that's fine. In fact, I agree that at this point, Pronger should give it up. But taking it away from an injured player, regardless of the fact that everyone involved is 99% sure he'll never play again, sets a poor precedent and gives the players the wrong message.

Anyone in that room could step up and talk to the media and take them away from Bryzgalov. Giving the C to someone and forcing them to take that role when they may not be comfortable with it can be a recipe for disaster. See: Richards, Mike.

The Alternate Captains have just as much right to talk to the refs as the Captain does. The two minute unsportsmanlike given to Timonen in the Pittsburgh game had a lot more to do with the Ref involved than whether Timonen had an A or a C. Since my assumption is that should the captaincy get moved, it would go to Timonen, it's unlikely the result would have changed, since he already has an A.

I don't see why you shouldn't have an interim Captain if Pronger is gone for the year. It just makes sense to me.

I actually think it should be Talbot. The guy continues to impress. Great signing. He's a guy you go to war with, he might as well have the "C" on when you do.

A Hundred times no. I said this before when it came up and I'll say it again. Until Chris tells the team to give the C to someone else, you do NOT take it away. It sends a poor message to everyone else. Besides, Timonen, Jagr, Talbot...they're not going to become better leaders just because you slap the C on their chest. A leader is a leader regardless of title. The team needs a real leader in the locker room. If they have one, he's already stepped up and assumed de facto captaincy through his words and actions. If they don't, a letter isn't going to change things, and may make things worse by putting pressure on someone who isn't comfortable in the role.

Talbot and Timmo are already leaders, as we speak.

I should agree Talbot is making a good captain, people told while he was in Pens, players were listening him, and he is guy. How many times Talbot would take game and turn around it.

Pronger should give up just for reason, in playoff you need a captain, and otherwise team is disorganized.

Maybe I just don't get it. In my experience, a leader leads. They don't need a letter on their chest or a rank on their shoulders to step up and start pulling everyone along with them if they know it needs to be done. Case in point: Briere in game 6 of the Buffalo series last year stood up and told the team that he wasn't ready to go home, and they shouldn't be either. He wasn't Captain, he wasn't an Alternate, but he took charge and did something. Either this team has someone who can do that full time or they don't. Assigning Talbot or Timonen or Giroux or Rinaldo the Captaincy won't change who the leaders are in the locker room, and it won't miraculously make whomever they choose any more of a leader than they already are. It won't all of a sudden make the players on the team respect him. This idea that they MUST have someone wearing that letter on their chest in order for the team to have leadership and direction is a bunch of horsedung, IMO. There has to be someone willing and able to take on that responsibility. And if that person exists in the locker room, they're already doing it, and the other players know who it is, and the C is irrelevant. If nobody's doing it, then there's nobody on the team capable of truly being that leaader (yet), and giving the C to someone serves no purpose.

I don't see why you shouldn't have an interim Captain if Pronger is gone for the year. It just makes sense to me.

I actually think it should be Talbot. The guy continues to impress. Great signing. He's a guy you go to war with, he might as well have the "C" on when you do.

Totally agree Podes. A captain does not have to be the best player or guy who gets the most ice time, but rather a guy who lays it out there every shift, is respected, and is not afraid to speak up. Talbot epitomizes those qualities.

The Flyers should give it to their worst player being the luck they have with the weight of the "C"

Lindros

Dejardins

Primeau

Footberg

Hatcher

Smith

Richards

Pronger

I say give it to Lilja or Walker and watch a Norris Trophy candidate develop right before your very eyes.....

Well, it's clear Pronger is gone and doesn't come back, so time to move on. We need a captain now otherwise this team will not make playoff.

So my candidate would be Bryzgalov. He is well speaking with media; fans loved him, even NHL fans loved across a country. just imagine, he skates to the refs and saying to him - "why are you so upset and sending my player to the box, it's just a game!" Well I'm just kidding!!! :)

Seriously, would you think a good idea to make Timmo or Jagr or Giroux or Talbot a captain of this team. My first choice would be Timmo second - Talbot third - Jagr fourth - Giroux

I've said it several times already in other threads so I'll just boil it down to the essentials.

3 A's the rest of the season. Let whoever is going to take over slide into the spot in the off season where it isn't a distraction to the mess they are currently trying to work out.

I'm convinced the C is poisonous anyway. Not much luck with captains of late and I still have a sour taste in my mouth with stripping Lindros of his C. Not that they did it but how they did it. Remember when they actually showed on TV one of the staff removing the patch from the jersey? Yeah, that'll be productive mid season.

Out of respect to Chris, I'm sure they aren't too worried about stripping him of it so quickly. They let him take his time last off season to decide if he wanted it in the first place. He's under enough stress as it is to worry about his place on the team IF he can miraculously get back to playing at all. Negativity and depression are not key ingredients to a speedy recovery.

but in the end, my first reason is really all I need. It won't solve anything so why bother right now. More harm than good can come of it so that says to me to just leave it alone for now.