Flyers interested in Dustin Brown?

Guest Phillygrump

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA still owes us the future considerations from the Roenick deal.

Done.

Seriously, though, I don't see the point in Brown. And I wouldn't give up JVR for him straight up. Having watched some Kings, I just think his effort sometimes makes JVR look determined.

Three words to describe him this year (in my humble opinion): Diver, streaky, lost.

This is not what you expect from somebody who is supposed to be leading by example. If he were still the hard hitting motivator, I would be all for it. However, this is by no means addition through subtraction. I'd sooner see how JvR pans out.

Seriously, though, I don't see the point in Brown. And I wouldn't give up JVR for him straight up. Having watched some Kings, I just think his effort sometimes makes JVR look determined.

Wow, I'm just shocked to hear that. I had no idea. He still manages to be 2nd among all forwards in Hits, so he's doing that at least on a consistent basis.

He still manages to be 2nd among all forwards in Hits, so he's doing that at least on a consistent basis.

judging from what i've read on some king's boards, that is all he does. he isn't a hardnosed player with a nasty streak, he just hits. bails out of after-whistle scrums, doesn't like digging in the corners, doesn't do any of the things you usually think of when you think of a big hitter. he...just hits.

@aziz

From the limited Kings games that I have seen this year, I think that sums it up perfectly. I have a few friends on the Left Coast that are huge Kings fans and they are more than disappointed in his game this year.

With the exception of being hurt this year, JvR doesn't look terrible, also he is five years younger. Not that I am always right on these kind of things, but I would expect JvR to have a little higher value than Brown straight up.

Wow, I'm just shocked to hear that. I had no idea. He still manages to be 2nd among all forwards in Hits, so he's doing that at least on a consistent basis.

I've watched more Kings games recently than probably before (I added Brown to the ol' FHL squad so I'm no hater lol) and I've tried to keep an eye on him and just haven't been wowed.

It could be a "change of scenery helps" situation? That top line in LA has just never really gotten untracked.

But does it surprise you that much? that a guy of Brown's caliber and reputation has fallen off his game this year with the Kings? That team has been a mess for a long time now and maybe, maybe it's finally coming together. But who knows. My guess is there are few players in the NHL who would benefit more from a change of scenery than Dustin Brown. I'd love to see what he could to in Philly. And I'd be fine with trading JayVeeAreWeEverGoingToGetaFullSeason'sEffort? for him.

i dunno. brown's leadership has a very talented team sitting outside the playoffs at the moment, and LA's management is impressed enough with said leadership to think about trading him.

from everything i've heard of his highly incomplete game, his astoundingly terrible career +/-, his continually questioned work ethic....i really can't see what the upside would be. aside from the hits...but if he is then going to run away when people get in his face, the hits are a little empty, i think.

But does it surprise you that much? that a guy of Brown's caliber and reputation has fallen off his game this year with the Kings? That team has been a mess for a long time now and maybe, maybe it's finally coming together. But who knows. My guess is there are few players in the NHL who would benefit more from a change of scenery than Dustin Brown. I'd love to see what he could to in Philly. And I'd be fine with trading JayVeeAreWeEverGoingToGetaFullSeason'sEffort? for him.

Dustin Brown was born to be a Flyer.

I don't watch all the Kings games out here (watch the Ducks more often), but I have always thought Brown was a tough, gritty forward who can also put the puck in the net.

Never had a reason to question his effort (unlike the Flyers in games like last night).

Maybe JvR is enough to fetch Brown and Bernier?

i dunno. brown's leadership has a very talented team sitting outside the playoffs at the moment, and LA's management is impressed enough with said leadership to think about trading him.

There's also rumblings of a riff between he and Richards in the locker room. Maybe that has more to do with the lack of leadership on the team than Brown himself.

Why all this talk about trading JvR? He is young and at times plays like it, but he has shown he can do work in the playoffs and he has a low cap hit for a while. They don't need just another forward or d-man, they need a true leader. Someone, like Pronger, wouldn't put up with this take games or take shifts off crap. I think, if your gonna trade someone young and has a lot of potential and draft picks and not get that in return is a big mistake. As I see it now, they make the playoffs and possibly win a series. So just adding another minor piece is not gonna push them over the top. If they can add a leader like a Jason Smith, who they got pretty cheap, (did have to give a young d-man, but everyone was on Joni anyway), and with his leadership quite possibly push them over the top, then do it. If not, then keep what you got and look at what happens during the off season.

JVR is five years younger, and currently has three fewer goals and 4 fewer assists than Brown... in TWENTY-ONE FEWER GAMES.

I'll pass.

Bernier would be the key acquisition, IMO.

Brown is a very good player who would nicely fill a depth role for the Flyers.

Bernier would be the key acquisition, IMO.

Brown is a very good player who would nicely fill a depth role for the Flyers.

Bernier has shown less in his NHL career than Bob, imo. And I'm not trading JVR for depth. Compare Brown's career stats to JVR's at similar ages. JVR's ceiling is much higher.

I really like Brown and agree with Andy 100%.

This would help the team by adding some grit and attitude for the playoffs.

except i keep hearing that brown has no grit or attitude, except that he hits. 10 fighting majors in his 8 year career, only 1 this season. 43PIMs, which is almost a timonen-like placidity. keep hearing he doesn't like the corners, doesn't like scrums, doesn't like traffic, doesn't like to backcheck.

obviously, i've "heard" all of this, haven't seen much of him recently. maybe i'm way off base, just going off what is out there, board and blog-wise. watched him a good bit a few years ago when he was specializing in jaw dropping minus numbers, but not so much recently. the stats kind of bear it out, though, that he isn't a hartnell in-your-face gritty player. i mean, danny briere has 18 more penalty minutes than brown does this season. and as many fights. can a grit-and-attitude player really get through a season that squeeky clean?

here's his one fight this season. kinda gets worked by doan:

http://youtu.be/yS5mG7SYMs4

Edited by aziz

I really like Brown and agree with Andy 100%.

This would help the team by adding some grit and attitude for the playoffs.

I think both him and JVR could use a change of scenery and could be a pretty fair swap.

. . .and it would free up more cap space for Homer to use in the offseason (i.e. Suter).

We could use some more leadership. Brown would bring that. We have too many let down games where we lack focus. A vocal leader like Brown could go a long way there.

I've seen plenty of Kings games and watched numerous off ice/between period interviews with Dustin Brown and he is NOT a vocal leader type. If anything he is more soft spoken like Richards and just as boring with a mic in his grillle.

I've seen plenty of Kings games and watched numerous off ice/between period interviews with Dustin Brown and he is NOT a vocal leader type. If anything he is more soft spoken like Richards and just as boring with a mic in his grillle.

He grew up having a pretty severe stuttering problem, so he is a lot of things, but "vocal" isn't exactly one of them.

He has done a great job of overcoming it, but he's no chatterbox.