Ivan Fedotov

So the Flyers finally signed the Russian goaltender.

I am wondering, what their plans is with him. They signed him to a 1 year contract for now.

Is this contract like a test run? Kind to see how his game is in the NHL?

If he does good, do they give him a multi year contract? Will he take over Hart's position as the #1 guy? If they decide to keep him, will they move Hart?

I just don't trust the management and I see nothing good coming from this

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darthbal said:

So the Flyers finally signed the Russian goaltender.

I am wondering, what their plans is with him. They signed him to a 1 year contract for now.

Is this contract like a test run? Kind to see how his game is in the NHL?

If he does good, do they give him a multi year contract? Will he take over Hart's position as the #1 guy? If they decide to keep him, will they move Hart?

I just don't trust the management and I see nothing good coming from this

Is he any good?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Is he any good?

Suppose to be. I want to find out.

Going from the big ice to the smaller ice sometimes takes time and some are never as good as they are on the big ice...so hope we get to see...but they need better cheaper options not names Martin Jones.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Jeez really. What the hell? He's going to need a custom glove that's for damn sure.

The normal pic...

FSLgLJUWYAMKHqA.jpg.aa24011d228cb1c9de565c913b6b27f7.jpg

Still big mitts. Guy is what 6-7 or 6-8??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

but they need better cheaper options not names Martin Jones.

Jones’ salary is a bit high for a backup but he’s a former #1 so it may be nothing to rave about but it does put him well ahead of career backups and guys on the farm team.

I think most people who watched the Flyers this year feel he played well. He never got the hook IIRC. Not that that means so much but it does indicate that when the team was losing, Jones’ performance wasn’t the problem. I emphasize “watched” because his numbers, like Hart’s, really do suck. 

Is anyone in Lehigh knocking on the door? Apparently Sandstrom isn’t in the Flyers’ future. So unless they can get Fedotov out of Russia the cupboard AFAIK is pretty bare.

Anyway I got no complaints about Jones’ game this year. And realistically how much will the Flyers save replacing him? A million? That’s not nothing but it’s not exactly a make-or-break the cap type of number right? But you watched a lot of the games this year too what did you think of his game? 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Jones’ salary is a bit high for a backup but he’s a former #1 so it may be nothing to rave about but it does put him well ahead of career backups and guys on the farm team.

I think most people who watched the Flyers this year feel he played well. He never got the hook IIRC. Not that that means so much but it does indicate that when the team was losing, Jones’ performance wasn’t the problem. I emphasize “watched” because his numbers, like Hart’s, really do suck. 

Is anyone in Lehigh knocking on the door? Apparently Sandstrom isn’t in the Flyers’ future. So unless they can get Fedotov out of Russia the cupboard AFAIK is pretty bare.

Anyway I got no complaints about Jones’ game this year. And realistically how much will the Flyers save replacing him? A million? That’s not nothing but it’s not exactly a make-or-break the cap type of number right? But you watched a lot of the games this year too what did you think of his game? 

It isn't about this playing well or not it is time to get the kids some on the job training.

Best man wins.

Fedotov

Sandstrom

Ersson

Ustinmenko

Iron sharpens iron.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It's just that first step to get him here to the U.S.  Training camp will probably decide the rest.  The backup position will probably be an open competition with a few of these young goaltenders.

Fedotov does appear to have the talent.  However, we come back to Kim Dillabaugh still being here coaching these guys.  It just won't help them in any way.

Let cam and preseason sort it out.

Time to continue the purge and transitioning to more kids.

See what we have.

I fall back to my bootcamp days only so much you can do in  class room it is time to get their hands dirty.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It isn't about this playing well or not it is time to get the kids some on the job training.

Best man wins.

Fedotov

Sandstrom

Ersson

Ustinmenko

Iron sharpens iron.

Right except that besides Sandstrom no other callups in net this year. What's that about? Wouldn't the coaches want to see them face NHL shooters? It's not like the Flyers were in a tight PO race they had 30+ games after the Flyers were eliminated (realistically if not mathematically).

But I know you follow the prospect pool a lot closer than I do and if Jones is out that's fine by me. Maybe it'll even be Fedotov if things work out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It's just that first step to get him here to the U.S.  Training camp will probably decide the rest.  The backup position will probably be an open competition with a few of these young goaltenders.

Fedotov does appear to have the talent.  However, we come back to Kim Dillabaugh still being here coaching these guys.  It just won't help them in any way.

Your not a Dillabaugh fan?

Who knew? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Considering how bad the team in front of them sucked, I dont think you can make an accurate assessment of any Flyer goalie

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

33 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Right except that besides Sandstrom no other callups in net this year. What's that about? Wouldn't the coaches want to see them face NHL shooters? It's not like the Flyers were in a tight PO race they had 30+ games after the Flyers were eliminated (realistically if not mathematically).

But I know you follow the prospect pool a lot closer than I do and if Jones is out that's fine by me. Maybe it'll even be Fedotov if things work out.

Because Ersson was hurt and Ustimenko struggled a little and then was hurt to finish the year - the Flyer way.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, yave1964 said:

At this point Hart is a veteran goalie, he does not need the safety net of a Jones/Elliott type,

No of course Hart is a veteran. He doesn't need coddling but he does need a backup he can work with, without generating drama the way goaltending has in Philly for 30 years pre-Hart.

So I look at how Jones played this year and thinking of his recent years out West...it's like he got a new lease on life in Philly. Maybe I'm assuming too much but I figure his resurgence has at least something to do with Hart and Dillabaugh.

They made a good tandem. In front of nearly the worst team D in the league Jones gave the Flyers every chance to win. Unfortunately they couldn't score goals so his efforts were largely wasted.

@FireDillabaugh Yes Jones' cap hit was $2mil. If you replace Jones...how much will the team save? [clue: invariably the new guy wants to get paid too.] Savvy? 😛 

On 5/8/2022 at 3:21 PM, FireDillabaugh said:

guess you didn't notice they signed Fedotov to the ELC?  Because, that's exactly what it accomplishes.  Gets him to the U.S.

NIce! So Ivan shows up at Moscow's Dept. of Emigration, shows them a copy of his ELC and just like that he's on the next plane...Beautiful!

Seriously yes it may help Fedotov now that he's got a contract. But I'm not counting on it.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

27 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

[clue: invariably the new guy wants to get paid too.] Savvy?

Well it is an entry level contract so it is sort of set.

925K plus incentives. 

So basically half of what Jones was asking.

It is time for the prospects and no more time for a vet.

Get the ball rolling.

• Like 2

I don't care about Jones.

Me neither.

I do care about Carter Hart reaching and playing to his potential.

And one has nothting to do with the other. A good solid goalie coach is what Hart needs.

It reminds me of when Carson Wentz had his best friend as his QB coach and let him slack off with his fundamentals and mechanics and well Carson has never recovered form that in fact the same guy followed him to Indy and well we know how that ended.

The coach has to do his job and fix Hart because he slipped big time this year.

• Like 2