Tocchet as Coach - I feel insulted

CoachX

"There is undeniable optics to this head coaching hire for the Flyers. And bringing in Tocchet would be good optics.

Fans showed their frustration and fatigue this season by not showing up. Attendance seriously dwindled as the Flyers' 25-46-11 season plodded to the finish line.

Hiring Tocchet, an adored former Flyer who understands what success looks like in Philadelphia, would seemingly reinvigorate the fan base before the first puck is even dropped"

So, we fans are unhappy about the team. Lets fix that by giving them Tocchet? Yeah, how about you go FCK yourself.

We fans are pissed because our team is unwatchable. That won't be fixed becasue Tocchet is here. Unless he plans on jumping on the ice to punch Crosby in the face, I don't care. We want a better team. Better players. Better management. Not gimmicks. We have enough of that at the rink with the Gritty show. Don't give me another ex flyer head coach so you can push my nostalgia button. It never works.

Hire a coach who can turn the franchise around. And LET HIM DO HIS JOB! Don't insult my intelligence

That is all!

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

Yeah I don't think Tocchet is the answer. His coaching career hasn't really been impressive to this point.

At this point, I don't really care though. If they want to put a goon team together with a goon coach, I'm in. I'll either take a winning team or a goon team. That's where I'm at. The last thing I want to see is a small young team that will slowly develop into a mediocre team.

• Like 1

Think about this. I'm 41 years old. I don't remember the 80s flyers or most of the 90s flyers. Starting in 2000, this is the first time the flyers will go into a season without a true star on the team (unless they sign or trade for a big star, which nobody expects will happen). They went from Lindros and LeClair to Primeau and Roenik to Foresberg to Carter and Richards and Gagne to Briere and Giroux and Jagr to only Giroux to....a bland team with no expectations. This past season was the first season I ever remember when the flyers had to trade their star for prospects because they're not going anywhere and they don't want to give him another contract

Who's pumped for 2022/23!

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

2 minutes ago, icehole said:

Think about this. I'm 41 years old. I don't remember the 80s flyers or most of the 90s flyers. Starting in 2000, this is the first time the flyers will go into a season without a true star on the team (unless they sign or trade for a big star, which nobody expects will happen). They went from Lindros and LeClair to Primeau and Roenik to Foresberg to Carter and Richards and Gagne to Briere and Giroux and Jagr to only Giroux to....a bland team with no expectations. This past season was the first season I ever remember when the flyers had to trade their star for prospects because they're not going anywhere and they don't want to give him another contract

Who's pumped for 2022/23!

Haysee! Haysee! Haysee!

• Haha 1

This off-season is going to go a long way in determining my level of interest in the Flyers going forward.

I can easily see the team stepping all over their cranks and continuing to "2010"s their way to irrelevance. 

The coaching hire is important, the approach to the roster and draft are of similar weight.

There are deal breakers for me this off-season. Quenneville, Maurice, Torts,  I'm out, JvR still taking his stick for a skate 15 minutes a night, no thanks, 30ish year old little forwards "coming home" ...nope. 

Recycling of aging players and coaches, not interested in that at all.

I didn't think the team would be as bad as it was this season when the season started in November. 

However, injuries aside, it became clear there is something wrong with the culture of the team.

I can't take too seriously those opinions that lay those failures at the feet of the former captain. 

It's' not like the Flyers coalesced around Giroux's departure and a raised the level of their play.

It seems pretty clear, to me at least, that guy wasn't the problem.

Changes are needed so we don't have to watch hung-dog players taking beatings for years.

There needs to be a direction set and adhered to. 

Time to quit chasing the 70s and what worked last season, I'd like to see the team start doing something unique. 

I don't have a lot of hope for a threading of the needle required to jolt this moribund organization back to being interesting. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This off-season is going to go a long way in determining my level of interest in the Flyers going forward.

I can easily see the team stepping all over their cranks and continuing to "2010"s their way to irrelevance. 

The coaching hire is important, the approach to the roster and draft are of similar weight.

There are deal breakers for me this off-season. Quenneville, Maurice, Torts,  I'm out, JvR still taking his stick for a skate 15 minutes a night, no thanks, 30ish year old little forwards "coming home" ...nope. 

Recycling of aging players and coaches, not interested in that at all.

I didn't think the team would be as bad as it was this season when the season started in November. 

However, injuries aside it became clear there is something wrong with the culture of the team.

It's' not like the coalesced around Giroux's departure and a raised the level of their play.

It seems pretty clear to me that at least that guy wasn't the problem.

Changes are needed so we don't have to watch hung-dog players taking beatings for years.

There needs to be a direction set and adhered to. 

Time to quit chasing the 70s and what worked last season, I'd like to see the team start doing something unique. 

I don't have a lot of hope for a threading of the needle required to jolt this moribund organization back to being interesting. 

:HijackedThread::lol:

any thoughts on Tocchet?

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

30ish year old little forwards "coming home" ...nope. 

If that forward plays for Calgary now then I can live with it if JVR is gone.

Otherwise they don't even have the cap space...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CoachX said:

:HijackedThread::lol:

any thoughts on Tocchet?

He doesn't move the needle for me.

I wouldn't be all the way out if he were to get the job.

He is a recycling effort that I would find insulting too.

Edit: What would Tocchet represent as a coaching hire ? new thinking? not sure- accountability? probably-.

There's nothing about his resume to this point that says he's the guy to build you a winner. Nothing.

He's Torts-lite and a bone thrown to those yearning for glory years past. 

Also, the coaching hire is just one component that needs to be done correctly.  The failures of the organization are systemic. I am having a hard time pulling one thread and thinking this one change will fix *gestures broadly* this. Tocchet's hiring would represent stale thinking to me.

Thread not high-jacked-expanded upon.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Good Post 1

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Edit: What would Tocchet represent as a coaching hire ? new thinking? not sure- accountability? probably-.

There's nothing about his resume to this point that says he's the guy to build you a winner. Nothing.

:PostAward4::PostAward4::PostAward4::PostAward4::PostAward4:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Flyer fans "I'm sick and tired of the old boys club, can't they think outside the box?"

IF the Flyers hire Tocchet as coach...

Flyer fans "YA! I f***ing LOVE Rick Tocchet!"

Not me. If that happens, it means (A) they are still employing from "The Ol' Boys Network". (B) They aren't going after the best head coach available and so, (C) They are not making a genuine attempt to really improve this hockey club because (D) they are a bunch stupid, ignorant, arrogant jack*sses from Holmgren and Scott, on down through the *Organization.

(E) It also likely means that I will continue to not watch them next season, because it will be a (losing) charade.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 4

I think it's true that there's something wrong with the culture and the team lacks leadership. No question. I also think management realizes this. Where they seem to differ with most of us, is they believe you bring back Flyer pride and Flyer hockey by increasing the old boys club. The spin on a Tocchet hire will be obvious, but it won't fix the team. Team needs a surgical tear down and then rebuild. No coach can fix this. I think even Trotz could raise us to mediocrity maybe, but not to excellence, not with this roster. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I also think management realizes this.

i dont think management knows the season has ended

Edited by CoachX

34 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I think it's true that there's something wrong with the culture and the team lacks leadership. No question. I also think management realizes this. Where they seem to differ with most of us, is they believe you bring back Flyer pride and Flyer hockey by increasing the old boys club. The spin on a Tocchet hire will be obvious, but it won't fix the team. Team needs a surgical tear down and then rebuild. No coach can fix this. I think even Trotz could raise us to mediocrity maybe, but not to excellence, not with this roster. 

That is like building a house on unstable ground....not very wise especially when it jeopardizes the foundation they foundation is paramount.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Can't speak for flyercanuck.  But, I believe he was being facetious, talking about the many among this fanbase that buy into the propaganda they're fed(like Jordan Hall's "story" today), and believe the hype that the ex-Flyers like Tocchet(or even Lappy for that matter) can benefit this organization.

Knowing Chuck and his many mistakes he's made in his career, Tocchet is probably the guy this front office will hire.  But, he won't be the proper, competent choice if things are going to improve.  Just as settling for promoting Lappy certainly won't be either.

If they have to hire a X Flyer I would rather it be Dineen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is like building a house on unstable ground....not very wise especially when it jeopardizes the foundation they foundation is paramount.

I'm not 100% sure which "that" you are referring to, but if it's their plan to just change the coach without changing the core players we agree.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If that forward plays for Calgary now then I can live with it if JVR is gone.

Otherwise they don't even have the cap space...

That forward that plays for Calgary is only going to help make us mediocre again, giving us a worse draft, and then probably 4 years of Why the F did we sign this guy? at the end of it...just like JVR/Hayes/Ristolainen/most of Homers great signings and probably Ellis.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I'm not 100% sure which "that" you are referring to, but if it's their plan to just change the coach without changing the core players we agree.

I know I started this thread, and its about Tocchet, but I want to address this POV. Dave Scott came out and said, 'blank check". Now I don't have any faith in that guy at all, but he must be intelligent to get to where he is today. I don't see an intelligent guy, coming out and making that statement, if he intended it as lip service. There WILL be changes. I think significant changes. We wont get a rebuild, but I expect a complete turnover that resembles one. You also can't make that statement, then tank for Bedard. I don't think they will hire a lame duck to sit behind the bench for a few seasons. I do think they will seriously consider Tocchet (UGH! I HATE ME FOR TYPING THAT). I think he is the front runner. It allows Dave Scott an out. If Tocchet fails, and I think he will, they can always say they went the Flyer angle. I hope they resist that urge, and go with a proven coach. But at the start of the season, the core won't be the same as it was at the end of this season

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That forward that plays for Calgary is only going to help make us mediocre again, giving us a worse draft, and then probably 4 years of Why the F did we sign this guy? at the end of it...just like JVR/Hayes/Ristolainen/most of Homers great signings and probably Ellis.

When Danny Briere signed with the Flyers, he was 29. The Flyers were the worst team in the league at the time he signed. I remember many here bytching hard about not wanting him. He was getting old. He was too expensive, too small, and too soft. He played 11 seasons to that point, 565 games, 186 goals, and 249 assists. Today he is Flyer legend, and many want him as the new GM. I guess we see how that worked out

Johnny G has played 9 seasons (602 games, less injuries than DB), he has 210 goals, and 399 assists. Not sure why we wouldn't a guy like that? History can repeat itself

just sayin is all

• Like 2