Will Ellis be ready next season

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 8:27 AM, SCFlyguy said:

Ready for what, surgery?

Good news as of the beginning of May is that Ryan Ellis will not require surgery for his pelvic injury. Unless there are setbacks in any way he should be ready to return for training camp next season. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Good news as of the beginning of May is that Ryan Ellis will not require surgery for his pelvic injury. Unless there are setbacks in any way he should be ready to return for training camp next season. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Considering the great job done by the Flyers training and medical staff ,I'm 100% confident Ellis will return in the fall and play a full season. 😆 🤣 😂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

FWIW, he wasn't going to require surgery while he missed this whole season...

Until he's on the ice for full contact he's a big ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

I agree with you 100%. I am just going by what the report stated that I saw. 

Welcome to the board. 

The report I saw at the beginning of the season was the Flyers were a contender...I didn't know that meant contending for 1st overall draft pick.

• Haha 2
  • Good Post 1

9 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Unfortunately, that "report" was nothing more than he has a "plan".  After being injured for 6 to 7 months, he has a "plan".  Some quality healthcare there.  That "report" was nothing more than just more propaganda from this organization's front office.

Imo, that "plan" is simply allowing Ellis to collect his paycheck while remaining on LTIR and being the next Rathje of this organization.  And, that's why he doesn't require surgery.  Because, he's never going to play in the NHL again.

I suppose we all wait till training camp starts and see if Ellis is ready to go or not. If he is not in need of surgery then there and he is still not able to play then what is all this waiting around for. He either needs surgery and he rehabs from that or he tries to give it a go. No more in the middle just waiting around.  

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 3:10 PM, radoran said:

They don't need a 32-year-old Ryan Ellis, they need the next 25-year-old that's going to be Ryan Ellis.

For sure. But even when the Flyers do land a young, bright D-man the organization seems unable to help him reach the next level. 5 years later and Provorov still needs "the right partner." Remember how he looked his rookie year? His calm demeanor, his decision-making and puck-handling were all obvious strengths whereas now they're his worst attributes. He should be a steady and reliable badass #1 by now but he's still a "project." There's even talk about trading him.

And Sanheim will never be the offensive weapon he should be while carrying Ristolainen up and down the ice. Yet evidently the Flyers are happy with that pair. I don't get that at all. "We want Big Hits" okay fine I get that but crippling Sanheim's game in the process is just dumb, irresponsible management.

Some of the stagnation is on the player of course. But when numerous guys' games fall off year after year there's more to it than just guys who can't cut it or aren't willing to work for it.

//preaching to the choir

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

For sure. But even when the Flyers do land a young, bright D-man the organization seems unable to help him reach the next level. 5 years later and Provorov still needs "the right partner." Remember how he looked his rookie year? His calm demeanor, his decision-making and puck-handling were all obvious strengths whereas now they're his worst attributes. He should be a steady and reliable badass #1 by now but he's still a "project." There's even talk about trading him.

And Sanheim will never be the offensive weapon he should be while carrying Ristolainen up and down the ice. Yet evidently the Flyers are happy with that pair. I don't get that at all. "We want Big Hits" okay fine I get that but crippling Sanheim's game in the process is just dumb, irresponsible management.

Some of the stagnation is on the player of course. But when numerous guys' games fall off year after year there's more to it than just guys who can't cut it or aren't willing to work for it.

//preaching to the choir

Whatever it is that Chuck Fletcher has for Rasmus Ristolainen it is f-ing up the entire defencive unit. I believe that Fletcher thinks that Risto can add that offense to the defence and I just don't know where he is getting that from. Sanheim is the player that is used correctly can provide that from the back end. He can do it more productively if used correctly than that of Risto. The problem is Risto brings down everything else when he is on the ice. He is god awful on defence and will never produce a + at the end of the season. We all know the Flyers are stuck with him because of the ridiculous salary he makes, so we pretty much have to live with that pairing or maybe hope someone steps up and can push him down to the 3rd pairing. 

7 hours ago, radoran said:

FWIW, he wasn't going to require surgery while he missed this whole season...

Until he's on the ice for full contact he's a big ?

So he misses an entire season and the injury doesn't require surgery?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yep. K. Hayes is good at that too. And the problem is they bring down everything even when they're not on the ice.

Two of the three signature moves of the current GM.

The third has played four games...

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

Two of the three signature moves of the current GM.

The third has played four games...

Yeah, and the only one that made sense on hockey terms was Ellis. That trade was okay on the face of it but it still meant more of the Flyers same ol' same ol' ...

Watching the Rangers these past few weeks is like extra salt in the wound those stupid moves made.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Can't wait to see what he does for his "aggressive retool". 

What the hell can he really do? He is so strapped with the salary cap and the players like JVR and Risto make such ridiculous salaries, I don't think any other team will be stupid enough to take them on. Chuck Fletcher is pretty much at the mercy of other teams because of the stupity he has done with past players. Even with Konecny, I don't think he is going to get true value for him. So really in my opinion I think we have got to hope for some of these young players to really step up  and improve. I don't see Chuck Fletcher and the way he has run things in the past doing anything very productive to help this team. 

55 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

He is so strapped with the salary cap and the players like JVR and Risto make such ridiculous salaries,

as for Risto, "Feltch" has no farther to look then the mirror. Thats totally on him

Edited by CoachX

2 hours ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

players like JVR and Risto make such ridiculous salaries, I don't think any other team will be stupid enough to take them on.

He's not looking to move Ristolainen - he just re-signed him. They LIKE the player.

JVR is another issue we've touched upon. They can get $2.4M or so in cap space this year and pay $1.4M or so next year with a buyout or they can retain $3.5M in a trade scenario.

Ristolainen is going no where.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

But, where do you think there's interest in JVR, even at a 3.5 cap hit?  Very curious where you seem to believe there is Fletcher-like incompetence out there among NHL GMs.

There are many many incompetent GMs out there.

Arizona exists. 😃

I'm not saying "will" happen I'm saying "could" and that it "would" be better if they did.

And it doesn't have to be a straight up retention and deal for nothing l, could be part of a larger package...

(I'm NOT saying I want this but his name has been "out there") a team getting Konecny for three years might take JVR for $3.5M for one...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, radoran said:

He's not looking to move Ristolainen - he just re-signed him. They LIKE the player.

JVR is another issue we've touched upon. They can get $2.4M or so in cap space this year and pay $1.4M or so next year with a buyout or they can retain $3.5M in a trade scenario.

Ristolainen is going no where.

I know Ristolainen goes no where. It is just more responding to the many that seem to think magically he will disappear and some other GM will be stupid enough to take on his ridiculous salary. He is stuck on the D pairing. 

What gets me though is because of stupidity of the GM they will still be hit. I highly doubt no other team will take JVR unless they are stupid so the team will still be hit in someway because of his ridiculous salary. 

I'm wondering if we should start looking at Chinese players to draft...I mean Fletcher has dug a pretty big hole that's going to take a few years to get out of, but I'm pretty sure he's going to go waaaaay deeper before he finally gets fired. And by fired I mean promoted. So if he's going to keep digging we may as well draft players closer to where we stand.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm wondering if we should start looking at Chinese players to draft...I mean Fletcher has dug a pretty big hole that's going to take a few years to get out of, but I'm pretty sure he's going to go waaaaay deeper before he finally gets fired. And by fired I mean promoted. So if he's going to keep digging we may as well draft players closer to where we stand.

He can dig. Hell I'll give him the shovel to dig his way all the way through to China to get him as far away from the club as he can get. 

1 hour ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

I highly doubt no other team will take JVR unless they are stupid so the team will still be hit in someway because of his ridiculous salary. 

I'll predict RightNow that no one is going to pay JVR $7M next season.

But two teams might.

😀

The key thing is that it is a one year deal.

• Like 1