Will Ellis be ready next season

I think since Ellis is an older player who had a history injuries, he can't be counted on to play alot of games next season. He missed an entire season, there is no definitive diagnosis of his injury and he did not get surgery. I have never seen this situation with injured players before. So  after 7 months of rest with no results, do you honestly think that suddenly he is magically gonna be ready for next season? 

I think he probably has some degenerative hip injury that will either end his career or have him in and out of the lineup. We are counting on him to be the #1 guy and the anchor man of the defense. I think they are delusional . I believe that we are either gonna trade somone like Konecny for a defenseman or we are going to draft a dman with our pick.

Nemec and Jiracek are both playing internationally and are probably close to NHL ready. I'm not saying they will be ready immediately or that they will be able to be the #1 guy, but they may be able to step in half way through the season. 

As much as we could use Savoie, I think that if Ellis doesn't show improvement by the draft, we will pick a dman. You have potentially two good dmen available near our pick and when will they have an opportunity like this again?

51 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I think since Ellis is an older player who had a history injuries, he can't be counted on to play alot of games next season. He missed an entire season, there is no definitive diagnosis of his injury and he did not get surgery. I have never seen this situation with injured players before. So  after 7 months of rest with no results, do you honestly think that suddenly he is magically gonna be ready for next season? 

I think he probably has some degenerative hip injury that will either end his career or have him in and out of the lineup. We are counting on him to be the #1 guy and the anchor man of the defense. I think they are delusional . I believe that we are either gonna trade somone like Konecny for a defenseman or we are going to draft a dman with our pick.

Nemec and Jiracek are both playing internationally and are probably close to NHL ready. I'm not saying they will be ready immediately or that they will be able to be the #1 guy, but they may be able to step in half way through the season. 

As much as we could use Savoie, I think that if Ellis doesn't show improvement by the draft, we will pick a dman. You have potentially two good dmen available near our pick and when will they have an opportunity like this again?

Well we've picked dmen 17 times in our last 8 drafts, including 3 with our 1st pick, Sanheim, Provorov and York. I wouldn't have an issue with either of Nemec/Jiracek since that's around where they're supposed to go. Just pick the most skilled guy...not the biggest galoot.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well we've picked dmen 17 times in our last 8 drafts, including 3 with our 1st pick, Sanheim, Provorov and York. I wouldn't have an issue with either of Nemec/Jiracek since that's around where they're supposed to go. Just pick the most skilled guy...not the biggest galoot.

Realistically,  I think Savoie will be there when we pick and we could really use his skill to replace Giroux, but I just have a feeling they will pick defense due to the status of Ellis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Realistically,  I think Savoie will be there when we pick and we could really use his skill to replace Giroux, but I just have a feeling they will pick defense due to the status of Ellis.

Well it is good if they do take Savoie but you can't take a kid in the first round and expect him to plug a hole immediately if it is to replace Giroux or even Ellis.

That is what got them into trouble with Patrick - Hextall penciled him into the lineup instead of plugging the hole and expecting Patrick to beat out who ever the hole plugger was.

Instead he basically handed it to him and he really needed more time in juniors because he hadn't finished a season in juniors yet due to injuries.

So Ron did Nolan a disservice by doing that and well Nolan hasn't been the same since.

We'll never know if that was the reason he got derailed but we also will never know it wasn't either.

So best player available and not to plug a hole now the prospect more than likely still needs development time.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Good Post 2

The three potential guys we may pick from are closely rated and we do have a need for both a center and a dman since G is gone and Ellis is probably on his way out sooner, rather than later. Im not saying any of the young guys will step in and replace 10 year veterans  right away ,but it's a big step to a better future if we make the right pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it is good of they do take Savoie but you can't take a kid in the first round and expect him to plug a hole immediately if it is to replace Giroux or even Ellis.

This -- so much this. I haven't heard of any of this year's draft class being the kind of guy who should definitely be on an NHL team next season. I could see MTL rushing Wright, though I'm not convinced even that would be a good idea. But I'm 100% with @OccamsRazor in that we need to start being patient with these players. Sure, you occasionally get the McDavid, Matthews, whatever types who are NHL ready from the start, but those guys are rare. That should never be the expectation.

We can talk about this when we snag Bedard -- not Savoie, and even less any kind of dman.

And as far as Ellis goes, history suggests we should not expect him to play a full season. In 11 NHL seasons, he's played more than 70 games only four times. He's had less than 60 the rest of the time, including three recent seasons under 50 GP. I don't know whether he'll come back, but it seems prudent to suggest he's not the kind of player who plays a full season anyway.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

He missed an entire season, there is no definitive diagnosis of his injury and he did not get surgery. I have never seen this situation with injured players before. So  after 7 months of rest with no results, do you honestly think that suddenly he is magically gonna be ready for next season?

I do not. I figure he retires this summer. Either that or he comes back and gets hurt early in the season, then retires. It would be nice if the supposedly new-and-improved Flyers' PR department would give fans some news about him. I mean before he retires.

• Like 1

You'd think an organization* with experiences like Rathje, Hatcher, Pronger, and Niskanen would stop betting on 30+ veteran defencemen, but you'd be wrong...

Is there a recent good example that I'm missing? Braun wasn't bad but he was meant to be a bottom six.

I liked the concept of the Ellis trade at the time, but if he isn't going to be "Ryan Ellis" even for ~60 games then that's an awful big "miss" whether they have LTIR or not.

Not that ol' Fletch has a history of making bad deals. Ask Bill Guerin about the $12.7M of dead cap space next season and the $14.7M in dead cap space in each of the two years after that...

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

They don't need a 32-year-old Ryan Ellis, they need the next 25-year-old that's going to be Ryan Ellis. That's moves for guys like the Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Eric Desjardins...

You want to pay for the 25-30 years, not pay for what they did when they were 25-30...

• Good Post 1

I think he'll be ready to play, at some point next season. The big question from where I sit, is how many minutes can he actually handle now? Is he going to be able to be a top pairing defenseman, anymore? I have serious doubts, due to his recent injury troubles and also...he isn't exactly a spring chicken, anymore.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

You'd think an organization* with experiences like Rathje, Hatcher, Pronger, and Niskanen would stop betting on 30+ veteran defencemen, but you'd be wrong...

Is there a recent good example that I'm missing? Braun wasn't bad but he was meant to be a bottom six.

I liked the concept of the Ellis trade at the time, but if he isn't going to be "Ryan Ellis" even for ~60 games then that's an awful big "miss" whether they have LTIR or not.

Not that ol' Fletch has a history of making bad deals. Ask Bill Guerin about the $12.7M of dead cap space next season and the $14.7M in dead cap space in each of the two years after that...

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

They don't need a 32-year-old Ryan Ellis, they need the next 25-year-old that's going to be Ryan Ellis. That's moves for guys like the Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Eric Desjardins...

You want to pay for the 25-30 years, not pay for what they did when they were 25-30...

Amen brother!

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Only thing I'm certain of is they will still wear orange and black, play in Philly, and beers will be overpriced 

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

but it's a big step to a better future if we make the right pick.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Quote of the century! (no smarm directed at you RJ, at the franchise)