The Best NHL Duo of the Past 20 Seasons?

pilldoc

The Best NHL Duo of the Past 20 Seasons?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. The Best NHL Duo of the Past 20 Seasons?

• Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin
    • Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton
    • Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin
    • Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews
    • Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom
    • Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman

When I think of NHL Duos, I think of guys who were constant linemates...almost joined at the hip, as they say, when it came to how often they would be seen on the ice together... even strength or on special teams.

Some of those choices are of two good franchise players, but not necessarily guys who spent the bulk, if not all of their time, together as linemates.

The Sedins definitely qualify though, as well as Ovechkin and Backstrom, who it seems, whenever both were healthy, were ALWAYS out there together for the Capitals (hence that really funny commercial where Ovie's wife asks questions about their insurance premiums and why Backstrom was always at their house for breakfast! :bigteeth:  ).

My vote went to Ovie and Backstrom over the Sedins, and basing it on not only were they a fantastic producing duo, but they actually have a Stanley Cup ring...something the Sedins cannot say.

• Like 2

1. Daniel Sedin / Henrik Sedin (2000-2018) Vancouver Canucks

2. Patrick Marleau / Joe Thornton (2005-2020) San Jose Sharks

3. Sidney Crosby / Evgeni Malkin (2006-Present) Pittsburgh Penguins

4. Patrick Kane / Jonathan Toews (2007-Present) Chicago Blackhawks

5. Alexander Ovechkin / Nicklas Backstrom (2007-Present) Washington Capitals

6. Steven Stamkos / Victor Hedman (2009-Present) Tampa Bay Lightning

109 Evgeni Malkin assists on Sidney Crosby goals as of Crosby's 500th goal. I will have to find if any others occurred after.

Evgeni Malkin congratulates himself for assisting on Sidney Crosby’s 500th goal

Malkin’s personality certainly hasn’t faded over the years.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2022/2/17/22938142/malkin-instagram-comment-letang-crosby-500-goals

Edited by NHL HHOF

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Are we talking the best duo or the duo who put up the most points together?

There's a big difference.

The best duo regardless of whether or not they put up the most points together.

The reason I chose the combos I did is because that's how the media always refers to them. It's always Crosby-Malkin, Kane and Toews, and so on.

• Like 2

Stanley Cup Championships

Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin

2009 - Pittsburgh Penguins

2016 - Pittsburgh Penguins

2017 - Pittsburgh Penguins

Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews

2010 - Chicago Blackhawks

2013 - Chicago Blackhawks

2015 - Chicago Blackhawks

Seven years between the first and second Crosby-Malkin Stanley Cup Championships, and one year between the second and third.

Three years between the first and second Kane and Toews Stanley Cup Championships, and two years between the second and third.

I'll get a little bit more in depth when I have the time. I voted for Kane and Toews. I found their skating abilities, their speed, and their scoring to be a lot more exciting than Crosby-Malkin, plus the fact that the Chicago franchise had not won the Cup since 1961, when they won it in 2010, and then again in 2013 and 2015. I'm going to go and watch both, the Blackhawk, and the Penguins, Stanley Cup clinching games again to check for a few things.

Also, it looks like Stamkos-Hedman and the Tampa Bay Lightning are going to become the first NHL team to three-peat since the 1982 New York Islanders, 40 years ago.

Edited by NHL HHOF

11 minutes ago, NHL HHOF said:

Also, it looks like Stamkos-Hedman and the Tampa Bay Lightning are going to become the first NHL team to three-peat since the 1982 New York Islanders.

That's who I voted for.

For one reason, I think Hedman has been the best defenseman in the league for about 5 years now.

He is the Nik Lidstrom of this era, always seems to be in control of the game when he's on the ice... And he always seems to be on the ice.

Crosby and Malkin were terrifying for many years, and it's too bad Crosby lost those couple years of his prime to injuries.

Even today as "olds" when they're out together it feels like they can score at will.

6 minutes ago, Math said:

If we give Pavelski an 8-year extension, Pavelski/Robertson could be a legitimate contender :shifty:

I love Pavelski, but I am not sure about 8 years. ROBO is definitely a future 50 goal scorer for the club. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nicklas Backstom has the soft hands to provide the sweet passes from anywhere it seems in the offensive zone and because he has a pure shooter in Alex Ovechkin who has a rocket of a shot and great placement it works like magic a lot of the time. That pair gets my vote. 

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...