Wild trade Talbot to Ottawa.

According to ESPN, and now being discussed on NHL Network Radio. The Wild get Filip Gustavasson as the return and it frees up $2.879M in cap space. I guess Talbot let it be know he wasn’t going to be real happy playing for BG.

Edited by TallyTigerShark
Typo

8 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

According to ESPN, and now being discussed on NHL Network Radio. No word yet on the return for Minnesota. I guess Talbot let it be know he wasn’t going to be real happy playing for BG.

Will be interesting to see the return and what kind of cap space this frees up as free agency begins.

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/wild-acquire-gustavsson-trade-talbot-071222/c-334947286?fbclid=IwAR3qBqRh_O9yQjhulzHKsjsuLTCTxGdAIisDAcTYHZXiCK3SrVK1cI6i7fQ&mibextid=dp3N4g&fs=e&s=cl

On the Power Play right now on NHL Network Radio, they note Gustavasson is on a one way deal and that there is no way in their opinion that he will be the tandem with MAF. They are also stunned that Toronto didn’t jump in on this, if this is all Minnesota got in return.

20 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The ol "Nip it in the bud" move...

I think that 'Bud' had already 'Flowered'.😇

I never really bought into that friendly competition between Talbot and MAF. Once signed, Cam had to know the writing was on the wall and it was inked come the platoffs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

I never really bought into that friendly competition between Talbot and MAF. Once signed, Cam had to know the writing was on the wall and it was inked come the platoffs.

I think this is a solid move for the Wild. 

And you guys have Jesper Wallstedt on a slower simmer over seas.

But i think his entry level starts burning since he will be 20 this year.

But he i think will be in the SHL on loan next season?

37 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

While I think 'friendly competition' CAN exist between goalies on the same team, I would have to say I lean towards your point about that not being the case here.
Usually, goalies know what their role is, whether starter or backup, well before they sign...or even if the crease is still up in the air.

But both Talbot and Fleury, in their minds, were the starter. Period.
While I've never been a fan of Cam Talbot the starter (I think he makes a great backup), I can see his point of view because when he signed with Minnesota, he was the starter, and really didn't do anything egregious to lose his job other than the Wild signing a former SC winner to the roster.

He went from signing as the starter to possibly hand off the reigns at the end of three years to Kahkonen, to just being sat in favor of Fleury.
There can't be anything friendly there.

All in all though, I think the Wild come out on top here.
I mentioned elsewhere when I saw Ottawa unloaded Matt Murray to Toronto, that Ottawa should be good with Anton Forsberg and Filip Gustavsson....now this. 
Sens weakened their position by making this deal, while the Wild strengthened their position, giving themselves more cap room, removing possible disgruntled issues, and possibly set something up where Gustavsson, still only 24 himself, could compete with Wallstedt for the reigns in net after Fleury's two year stint ends....or even beforehand if Fleury proves frail and/or ineffective.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

31 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

While I've never been a fan of Cam Talbot the starter ...

All in all though, I think the Wild come out on top here.
I mentioned elsewhere when I saw Ottawa unloaded Matt Murray to Toronto, that Ottawa should be good with Anton Forsberg and Filip Gustavsson....now this. 
Sens weakened their position by making this deal, while the Wild strengthened their position, giving themselves more cap room, removing possible disgruntled issues, and possibly set something up where Gustavsson, still only 24 himself, could compete with Wallstedt for the reigns in net after Fleury's two year stint ends....or even beforehand if Fleury proves frail and/or ineffective.

NOOooooo 😮 ;)

With the goalie picks/signings, We've got a young crop to all battle for the jobs. Should be healthy for the team and fun to watch to see who comes out as starter and backup.

• Like 1

Minnesota Wild trade Cam Talbot to Ottawa for Filip Gustavsson

I share my thoughts on the deal.  I will admit, this one I get a bit opinionated.  Not sure how this really helps us to win other than provide $$$ to fill out the last few roster spots.  

Sure, there won't be any real goaltender controversy but now you have to wonder if Gustavsson is good enough to start 25-30 games next season?  (sigh)

• Like 1

I am not a Talbot fan, but I won't accept the narrative that he was the one crossing the line for being annoyed / upset how things played out in the post-season.  If Guerin wants to say he had no right to be mad, he can look in the mirror because he and the coaching staff created that situation.  Talbot did not.  So for anyone telling me how it would've sent a terrible message if Guerin didn't honor his agreement with Goligoski and how that would affect other players would perceive this organization how do you think he looks now?  

Talbot got treated like trash.  One could argue the team treated Fiala like trash too.  

Sincerely, I am OK with that trade. Hopefully in the future we will have a tandem of 2 young Sweden goalies taken as a 1st round draft (Walstedt) and a 2nd round draft (Gustufsson). Maybe one of them will turn as a star goalie. Not sure if Talbot will have same results for Ottawa team as he had for the Wild team. And I do not think he is a star goalie at his 35 y.o. age. I am also not surprised any more how Guerin is trading players. It is normal for his style of reaching better outcome. If he does not like this piece of chess game then he easily is trading to the other piece. How many pieces I wanted to keep and how many I did not want to see in our team ,but he had a different vision to them. I think it brings more interest/ more intrigue to our team. I was more surprised that a Stanley Cup winner Colorado team already easily traded not a bad goalie Kuemper to Capitals and signed Georgiev as a starting goalie. It seems Frankouz will be a backup goalie for the Avs. Or maybe someone else?

I don't think Gustavsson is going to turn into a star player, but he will be a RFA after the 2022-23 season so they have the option to keep him around longer if they want.  Gustavsson is going to have to get 25-30 starts, if he can't do that then the trade in the short term has to been seen as a fail.  

Lots of goalie movement throughout the league, but I still think this move could've been prevented with more thoughtful communication.  

On 7/12/2022 at 6:47 PM, ClusterChuck said:

I think keeping MAF is a mistake. Especially come playoff time, if the Wild make it there.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 10:44 PM, wildstars95 said:

just think we have an old crusty past due date goalie that's good for 2 softies a game and a sieveier back up. 😏

I for one won't miss talbot 

talbot.jpg

Your observation skills are the best. Their is someone who sees what I see in Fleury.

On 7/12/2022 at 6:47 PM, ClusterChuck said:

Nice pun!

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

I think keeping MAF is a mistake. Especially come playoff time, if the Wild make it there.

There seems to be a 50/50 split on that among Wild fans that I've seen in regards to keeping Fleury.  Most try to rationalize it as him being a mentor for Wallstedt eventually.  I am pretty skeptical on this being a playoff team.  I think Dallas and Nashville will pass up the Wild in the Central.  

7 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Nice pun!

It was just sitting there begging to be pruned. 😁

Having MAf in goal now for the majority of games makes me think of how the Av's got through their season with Kuemper in goal. Not outstanding by any means and they just had to score a lot more to cover.
Problem...We don't have the offensive weapons like the Av's did. 😬

Riding MAF much more now could result in an injury (Hopefully not) but it would make for some interesting decisions to be made at that time.

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

There seems to be a 50/50 split on that among Wild fans that I've seen in regards to keeping Fleury.  Most try to rationalize it as him being a mentor for Wallstedt eventually.  I am pretty skeptical on this being a playoff team.  I think Dallas and Nashville will pass up the Wild in the Central.  

I dont think I would want him as a mentor. The way he plays is a key reason in key situations. He isnt the guy a team could rely on. His numbers look good. He loses sight of rebounds. More often than not when a team hits the post the next shot is in the net. He may have trouble judging the puck coming when shot from the blue line. (Ask a Flyer fan about the shift.) I think its time he retires.

• Good Post 1

I was a Talbot fan mostly because it seemed the team played more consistent in front of him. His games down the stretch proved that.
Sure he had some rough games and the so called 1 softie per night but if you watched highlights from the league that night, You'd see just as many from other goalies.
Kahkonen had some nice streaks but then he became very inconsistent...Fleury and his flambouyant style made many love him but I found it sloppy.
Entertaining, Sure but I'd like a calmer presence in goal myself.
If there was no Cap issue or controversy, Would I want Talbot to continue here for a few more years? Probably not given his age and Wallstedt coming up so trading him now instead of at deadline to get 'something' for him is fine.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

I was a Talbot fan mostly because it seemed the team played more consistent in front of him. His games down the stretch proved that.
Sure he had some rough games and the so called 1 softie per night but if you watched highlights from the league that night, You'd see just as many from other goalies.
Kahkonen had some nice streaks but then he became very inconsistent...Fleury and his flambouyant style made many love him but I found it sloppy.
Entertaining, Sure but I'd like a calmer presence in goal myself.
If there was no Cap issue or controversy, Would I want Talbot to continue here for a few more years? Probably not given his age and Wallstedt coming up so trading him now instead of at deadline to get 'something' for him is fine.

Talbot will certainly get his shot to prove whether his play was a product of the Wild 'system', or whether he really was as good as the numbers say he was.

The overall defense is a downgrade in Ottawa when compared to Minnesota's, but, he does get the chance to "lead the way" by being good enough to keep his team in the game while the very promising forward corps there does their thing.

He is in a contract year, so that should also help motivate him as he plays on this season for the Sens.
He does have a history of doing well in the first season or two when arriving in a new team (some exceptions of course), then tapering off.
The Senators have a giant goalie prospect (6'7 Mads Sogaard) in their minors system waiting in the wings, who isn't quite ready, so if Talbot is as good as the numbers say he is, he will have time to put his stamp on an up n coming Ottawa squad.

If indeed the Wild buoyed him more than he anchored things down in net, well, then, he will be sorely exposed with the Senators.

Reading some stories where he says he looks forward to the challenges with the Sens, and while he didn't want to leave Minnesota, he does understand the decision and holds no ill will towards the franchise, whom he thanked for giving him the opportunity to be a full time starter once again.

I really do think Fleury and Talbot manning their own nets on their own teams is best, however. From where I sit, I am happy with Fleury instead of Talbot, though I REALLY would like some young hotshot goalie to come on up and put all that mess to rest and help lead this team for the next 10 seasons!
Is Wallstedt that guy? Hmmm...

• Like 1