pilldoc

Yeah or Nay or Don't care  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Your reaction to Bellows being claimed by Flyers

• Yeah
    • Nay
    • Don't Care / Does it really matter

Flyers claim former first-rounder Kieffer Bellows off waivers from Islanders

The Philadelphia Flyers have claimed Kieffer Bellows off waivers from the New York Islanders. New York placed the 24-year-old on waivers after he appeared in just one game this season, skating only seven minutes and not registering a shot on goal. Last season, Bellows played in 45 games for the Islanders scoring six goals and 19 points.

Bellows was selected by the Islanders with the No. 19 overall pick in the 2016 NHL Draft. Bellows signed a one-year, $1.2 million contract this past off-season and will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-claim-islanders-kieffer-bellows-nhl-waivers

Bellows, who played 68 career games for New York, was a first-round pick of the Islanders in 2016. He went three spots ahead of Germon Rubtsov, a Russian center the Flyers selected at 22nd overall. Rubtsov was sent to the Panthers in the Claude Giroux trade and is now back playing in his home country.

The 24-year-old Bellows is a power forward type at 6-foot-1, 195 pounds. Back in the summer of 2016, many saw goal-scoring potential with Bellows, who had 50 markers for the U.S. national U-18 team during his draft year.

With the Islanders, Bellows played a career-high 45 games last season. He finished with six goals and 13 assists while playing 11:52 minutes per game.

• Like 1

I like the claim. This is a low risk/high reward type scenario.  IIRC, Bellows was on the Flyers radar in his draft year…or at least on the radar of the armchair GMs on this site, (I was one of them).  He could be one of those players that didn’t fit the system being used on the Island and will blossom with the change of scenery.  Hopefully, things work out for him with the Flyers.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Is he Brian Bellows kid? 

Yes.

10 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Is he any good? 

Nope.

4 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

He could be one of those players that didn’t fit the system being used on the Island...

And the system that a very good team and program were using at Boston U.  Or the system that a very good team was using at Bridgeport.

Again, it's great to have hope.  But, when there are clear facts available, hope won't suddenly change that.  And, yes, when this organization realizes he's the bust he is, they can just place him on waivers again(which he'll clear) and send him to Lehigh.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

From our 2016 HF.net Mock Draft

He's proven often since 2016 that evaluation doesn't relate when it comes to Bellows in professional hockey, or even NCAA hockey.  He was very good at the USHL/USD and the WHL levels.  Unfortunately, that skill hasn't followed him to the AHL or NHL.  Yes, would love to see him suddenly change and be a player that can actually produce at the NHL level.  But, holding out on false hope that's been proven to be false usually only turns out to be futile.

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

But, holding out on false hope that's been proven to be false usually only turns out to be futile.

Never said anything about holding on to false hope.  Just found an old post we did years ago when we did our own mock draft and some of the thoughts from draft pundits at the time.  We all know zebras's can't change their stripes.  See Yakupov, Nail and Daigle, Alexandre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Never said anything about holding on to false hope. 

Yes.  My apologies.  Wasn't addressing the false hope comment towards you.  But, instead, more towards the responses in the thread that are happy and hopeful with the claim.  Sorry.  My bad.  I should have been more concise about that.

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Yes.  My apologies.  Wasn't addressing the false hope comment towards you.  But, instead, more towards the responses in the thread that are happy and hopeful with the claim.  Sorry.  My bad.  I should have been more concise about that.

I get it. Nothing wrong about having hope.  I hope he sincerely has a turn around and can become productive on the ice.  Nothing wrong with others having hope either.  Believe it or not many of us have realistic views on this transaction.  Young players with potential simply do not get waived unless there is a specific reason behind it. 

As you can see by the responses to the poll, many feel indifferent.  (granted it is a very small sample size)  I don't think many on here have illusions of grandeur about Bellows.  It is what it is ... a low risk, cost the organization nothing move that the FO is hoping might work out.  If not, Bellows will be moving on to his 3rd team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

...a low risk, cost the organization nothing move that the FO is hoping might work out.

The one cost is it's another roster spot(23/23) taken by a player that's shown to not be capable of playing hockey at a pro level.

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

The one cost is it's another roster spot(23/23) taken by a player that's shown to not be capable of playing hockey at a pro level.

that is true and a very valid point .....

Edited by pilldoc

I get up in the morning and read about the franchise's injuries. Then I read about the large cracks in the team's roster which Tort's accountability and coaching can't cover forever. All that puts Bellows' presence into perspective.  How 'bout we call it one notch over desperation? And to top it off, it may be a sad comment on limited talent in Lehigh. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...