Game 43: Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals; 1/14/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am guessing you don't follow hockey besides the NHL.

I still think he makes a good point, i.e. one guy ain't fixing what's broken with the Flyers. I'd love to have the #1 pick this year too but I don't think it'll happen unless the Flyers trade for it - and then I'll really start to worry. 

As you know this year's draft is one of the best in a long time. I don't watch a ton of hockey other than the NHL but I watch some college games and I caught some of the World Juniors last month. There are quite a few guys who look promising. I wouldn't move heaven and earth trying to snag Bedard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I still think he makes a good point, i.e. one guy ain't fixing what's broken with the Flyers. I'd love to have the #1 pick this year too but I don't think it'll happen unless the Flyers trade for it - and then I'll really start to worry. 

As you know this year's draft is one of the best in a long time. I don't watch a ton of hockey other than the NHL but I watch some college games and I caught some of the World Juniors last month. There are quite a few guys who look promising. I wouldn't move heaven and earth trying to snag Bedard. 

That's ok cause nobodys trading him. 

• Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That's ok cause nobodys trading him. 

You think there's zero chance of AZ, Chi Whoever trading the #1 pick even if they get back a top 3 or 4 pick plus ... whatever...?

I haven't followed it too closely. Is Connor Bedard seen as another Crosby, MacDavid etc. ? If that's the case then yeah it would be kind of crazy to trade him away.

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

You think there's zero chance of AZ, Chi Whoever trading the #1 pick even if they get back a top 3 or 4 pick plus ... whatever...?

I haven't followed it too closely. Is Connor Bedard seen as another Crosby, MacDavid etc. ? If that's the case then yeah it would be kind of crazy to trade him away.

I don't think he's quite Crosby/ McDavid, but he's probably the best prospect since those two. I think a team like Chicago knows you don't trade away potential best player in the league.

Who knows wtf Arizona would do. They should have folded ten years ago.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yeah i never said anything about a trade for him. No one in their right mind is trading this kid.

And he isn't just "one guy" to be adding.

We're talking about a generational talent (arguably better than Mcdavid) maybe.

And i would love to try to add him and see what the results would be than not add him. But it is moot because we know they will never get him anyway.

On 1/15/2023 at 2:08 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Saucy that is just a running joke here.

I do not think they are a playoff team.

LOL I ran straight into that wall, then.

Still, don’t let today’s 6-0 beating take away from your recent 7 of 8 run.  Bruins are just beasts this year.  

Perhaps a more realistic result is for the Flyers to finish above the Capitals.  (Doesn’t say very much right now 😝)

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

Still, don’t let today’s 6-0 beating take away from your recent 7 of 8 run.  

We're a fanbase that has had 10 game winning and 10 game losing streaks in the same season.

We good.

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Still, don’t let today’s 6-0 beating take away from your recent 7 of 8 run.  Bruins are just beasts this year.  

Oh  i am not Flyer need more of those ass whippings.

I think more those maybe will brings change if they were to squeak into a playoff spot then they will not blow this team up like it needs to be.

So to keep winning in my mind is worse for what the team needs we are past the point of just make the playoffs anything can happen.

I am not being a negative Nancie is just want to turn this club around.

Now i think they have some very good pieces to build around.

This team also needs to purge the dead weight and add some much needed star power to compliment what they already have in place and soon to be called up to the NHL by maybe next season to propel them forward in the direction they need to go.

And i all start at top with everyone above Torts shown the door.

I maybe one of the few who as we speak have enjoyed what Torts is bringing and done. Accountability and that starts with being honest and calling a turd a turd and then also speaking well on the guys who do fit. 

Fingers crossed the misery ends after this season...

On 1/16/2023 at 8:28 PM, SaucyJack said:

LOL I ran straight into that wall, then.

Perhaps a more realistic result is for the Flyers to finish above the Capitals.  (Doesn’t say very much right now 😝)

and that team has no top 5 picks accept taylor hall, they are mostly composed of lower first round players, heck even the lightning player that's unstoppable in the playoffs in point is a seventh round pick.

16 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

and that team has no top 5 picks accept taylor hall, they are mostly composed of lower first round players, heck even the lightning player that's unstoppable in the playoffs in point is a seventh round pick.

yes, but those teams have real GMs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

yes, but those teams have real GMs. 

do you ever want to find positive about anything about this team or do you want this team to be bad? because if you dont get your way aka bedard by tanking the crap out of this team, you may just want to look another team root for because there's no hope with this team in the future like who are the superstars that want to come on this team that's really bad? like you really think nhl is going to give us a superstar, i lost my faith in that when they screwed us in the kane draft for jvr, which i dont know how anyone believes that it's not rigged based on that.

like come on, you really think us winning now and attracting a superstar with our draft picks playing well is not a positive thing to look forward to, it's insanity.

Edited by tucson83

7 hours ago, tucson83 said:

do you ever want to find positive about anything about this team or do you want this team to be bad? because if you dont get your way aka bedard by tanking the crap out of this team, you may just want to look another team root for because there's no hope with this team in the future like who are the superstars that want to come on this team that's really bad? like you really think nhl is going to give us a superstar, i lost my faith in that when they screwed us in the kane draft for jvr, which i dont know how anyone believes that it's not rigged based on that.

like come on, you really think us winning now and attracting a superstar with our draft picks playing well is not a positive thing to look forward to, it's insanity.

I really don't think the Flyers are getting Bedard. I hope they do, but it's highly unlikely. All I want is competent management. I don't think that's too much to ask. Right now, we have none.

If you want to get all excited about beating the lousiest teams in the NHL shortly after going through yet another 10 game losing streak (what's that, our 6th in Fletchers reign?)  and watching the team claw its way to just barely out of the playoffs and another mediocre pick, enjoy it. I simply can't. I've seen this play out way too many times. 

This team isn't "attracting" a superstar. Fletcher doesn't know what one is. He thinks Ristolainen is a superstar.

On 1/19/2023 at 5:19 AM, flyercanuck said:

I really don't think the Flyers are getting Bedard. I hope they do, but it's highly unlikely. All I want is competent management. I don't think that's too much to ask. Right now, we have none.

If you want to get all excited about beating the lousiest teams in the NHL shortly after going through yet another 10 game losing streak (what's that, our 6th in Fletchers reign?)  and watching the team claw its way to just barely out of the playoffs and another mediocre pick, enjoy it. I simply can't. I've seen this play out way too many times. 

This team isn't "attracting" a superstar. Fletcher doesn't know what one is. He thinks Ristolainen is a superstar.

because you want gm to tank this roster that's it and yet you see other teams that have done it, they cant figure out how to win, what makes you think it will work for us especially even if we did get bedard and next year's draft class is trash and get the second coming of jvr and nolan patrick, how is that going to make things better? that's why the oilers are having a ton of problems winning because the players they tanked for were trash in every draft class until they got mcdavid and still cant figure out how to win.

you are saying you have no patience, how are you going to have the patience going through a 20 year tank and build method? what's the goal to get 5 stanley cups in a restricted salary cap? you cant accept one cup?

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Name a Cup team whose 2 best players were  acquired as UFAs?  I'm trying to think of one.

I'll say the St. Louis Blues in 2018, but that's one example of the past *checks notes* 16.

Then there's the post-lockout Hurricanes who had *checks notes* Rod Brind'amour and Justin Williams. Who let those guys get away? 🤔

EDIT: I was thinking OP meant "home grown" vs. acquired

Edited by radoran

54 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

because you want gm to tank this roster that's it and yet you see other teams that have done it, they cant figure out how to win, what makes you think it will work for us especially even if we did get bedard and next year's draft class is trash and get the second coming of jvr and nolan patrick, how is that going to make things better? that's why the oilers are having a ton of problems winning because the players they tanked for were trash in every draft class until they got mcdavid and still cant figure out how to win.

I don't want the GM to tank this roster. I want the GM fired. Tell me how doing the exact same thing this org (minus Hextalls 4 years) has done for decades is working out. Lets see, we have no chance at a cup. We either miss the playoffs or go out in the first round. Our "best players", the ones the GM is building the team around, get benched because they suck and lack effort or are just plain stupid. We're back in cap hell yet again. Back to throwing away 2nd and 3rd and sometimes 1st round picks for garbage.

Yay, what was I thinking...I should be cheering right there beside you!

54 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

you are saying you have no patience, how are you going to have the patience going through a 20 year tank and build method? what's the goal to get 5 stanley cups in a restricted salary cap? you cant accept one cup?

I have tons of patience....just not when there's no plan.

Oh look, theres a guy nobody else wants, lets give him a huge contract, that'll win us a cup!  And that's how our resident genius GM locked up Hayes/Risto/Deangelo/DesLauriers...I can't think of a better way to spend $20 million a year...can you?

I can't accept one cup? What? We haven't won a cup in FIVE DECADES! I'd LOVE to win ONE CUP!!!

49 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Oh, c'mon now, there's a plan. It's just not a good plan. And it's not a plan that works. But there is a plan...

Make the playoffs and anything can happen.

They're also not particularly good at executing the first part of that "plan."

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Edited by radoran
  • Good Post 1

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't want the GM to tank this roster. I want the GM fired.

what gm do you want? how do you know he would want to come here? what plan do you want it to be?

8 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Who were the UFAs?  Cause Binnington, Tarasenko, and Pietrangelo were all Blues draft picks and O'Reilly was acquired via trade.

Right, good point. I was thinking "home grown" vs acquired. Same goes for Carolina.

I don't know that there is a good "UFA" example in the post-cap era.

:hocky:

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

what gm do you want? how do you know he would want to come here? what plan do you want it to be?

Anyone. There isn't a worse GM in pro sports. Give me Matt Millen from the 2008 Detroit Lions. Give me the manager of the Wendys down at the corner. 

STOP giving away draft picks for nothing. STOP signing lousy free agents. STOP trading for the dumbest players/laziest players/slowest players/douchebagiest players in hockey.

There's a plan better than doing all the above.

• Like 1