Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Whoa...just a minute there rad....that's Scott Laughton, World Championship Gold medalist!

He's really happy with where his career has taken him.

He hopes to be a part of that going forward.

:hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

You fckers are twisted

Look, I'm sorry that we're harshing on ya boi Laughts, but sometimes we gotta make the calls we gotta make.

Edited by radoran
  • Uggh... 1

14 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The term they handed Couturier was a head scratcher too.

At the time* Couturier was in his prime (pre injury), had won a Selke trophy and was the best player on the team. 

He was going to make big bank somewhere. 

Maybe you'll remember a lot of guys getting out of their scoring slumps when they played on #14's wing. 

The report was he took less .aav in exchange for term so the team could add more good players. 

It wasn't a head scratcher, it was doing right by a player that had done right by the team. 

14 hours ago, radoran said:

Because I'm told that professional athletes - top line, competitive professional athletes - want to win.

And I'm seeing guys who have won bupkus being perfectly happy to sign long term with a franchise in neutral, sliding backwards (where they were at the time).

So there is a school of thought that a would argue a competitive athlete thinks they can win no matter where they play.

I'm not so old as to remember my days playing competitive sports and thinking exactly that.

Guys with talent most likely think they are good enough to elevate the team they play for.

If a person with talent and drive likes the city where they live and the trappings of the organization they play for- they may want to be the person that is responsible for turning things around and bringing a winner back to the city. Competitive people want to be a part of the solution.

I don't subscribe to the narrative that guys are just collecting paychecks. 

• Good Post 1

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Guys with talent most likely think they are good enough to elevate the team they play for.

I get it - as I said. And there are positives to that.

But there are also guys who have said "this team is going nowhere and I want out" (for various franchises) and more often than not they've been right.

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If a person with talent and drive likes the city where they live and the trappings of the organization they play for- they may want to be the person that is responsible for turning things around and bringing a winner back to the city.

And Claude Giroux was that for 10 years and is now in Ottawa.

I'm saying that I don't like guys who are fat and happy on a team that has done nothing for a decade.

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't subscribe to the narrative that guys are just collecting paychecks. 

There are absolutely guys "just collecting paychecks" in the league.

I'm not necessarily saying Laughton and Couturier are that (although #14 did "just collect a paycheck" last season).

But, again, the team captain took a look at the situation and bailed for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in six years.

#definitelyaplayoffteam

I do believe there is a potential for a "new era" but it remains potential until it is a "new era." And I don't mean a new shade of orange in the dot on the logo.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

At the time* Couturier was in his prime (pre injury), had won a Selke trophy and was the best player on the team. 

He was going to make big bank somewhere. 

Maybe you'll remember a lot of guys getting out of their scoring slumps when they played on #14's wing. 

The report was he took less .aav in exchange for term so the team could add more good players. 

It wasn't a head scratcher, it was doing right by a player that had done right by the team. 

The team was going nowhere at the time and bringing Couturier back for that long wasn't going to move the needle.  Trading him at the deadline the year before that would have moved the needle (a lot).  I said so at the time.

The Flyers need to learn how to sell high.  It's my biggest complaint the last 12 years.  Simmonds, Giroux, Couturier each could have brought in a massive haul if traded at the right time.  We waited too long in each case.

• Like 1

When a guy is 29 years old…I think Couturier was 29 at the time, maybe 28…either way when you extend him for EIGHT YEARS it’s a head scratcher unless the guy is truly irreplaceable, which Couturier is not. I’m happy he’s reportedly healthy again but that contract was the definition of unnecessary. 

44 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I’m happy he’s reportedly healthy again but that contract was the definition of unnecessary. 

Hindsight is always 20/20.

You are right, he was 28 when he signed the extension. 

There was some howling here as I remember, I think most of the criticism was people thinking the contract was 2 years too long. 

The guy was a Patrice Bergeron type player. Patrice finally slowed down this season at 37. 

It was not a terrible bet at the time to think that Couturier could play a similar role for this club as Bergeron did for the B's. 

The contract would take Couturier until he was 37 also. 

Two missed seasons due to the back injury and the uncertainty around Sean's recovery make the contract onerous for certain.

When the extension was signed, I didn't have a problem with it. 

I like the player, I thought he was slow enough already that losing a step wouldn't really matter. 

His hands, vision and hockey IQ made up for his lack of speed, those things don't fall off at the same rate or as abruptly as speed does. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Good Post 1

I don’t recall what I posted about it at the time, if anything, but for me it’s got nothing to do with hindsight. I just think it’s irresponsible to extend any 29-year old for 8 years unless he’s a superstar who’s indispensable to the team’s future.

I’m a big Couturier fan. Pardon me if I toot my own horn but I “knew” he had 30-goal seasons in him back when he was still skating 3rd line minutes. I based it on the fact that when he got an offensive zone start (which wasn’t often) he generally made those opportunities count. He was noticeably offense-minded, even if his skating wasn’t the best. I only say that to illustrate that I have no bias against him, rather the reverse.

But even without the multiple surgeries his value going forward past 32/33 was always a bit doubtful, wouldn’t you agree? Let’s face it there aren’t many like Crosby and Bergeron who can still produce well into their 30s. I do hope Couturier is one of them!

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

You are right, he was 28 when he signed the extension. 

There was some howling here as I remember, I think most of the criticism was people thinking the contract was 2 years too long

I would have been good with 5 and let's revisit this...but ain't nothing we can do about it now.

If you could ever convince him to be traded anywhere it might be with his best bud Giroux maybe.

I'd take just Shane Pinto and a pick to just move the contract....but yes i know i'm dreaming.

But you could put Debrincat back on the top line RW spot drop G down on the 2nd to play with Coots.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But you could put Debrincat back on the top line RW spot drop G down on the 2nd to play with Coots.

Couturier will need to show what he’s got left in the tank before anything else. But if he’s able to go like he used to I can see teams at the TD being interested…if he wasn’t signed until 2057 that is. Frankly he’s borderline untradeable with that albatross of a contract. 

The good news for the Flyers is he’s had a lot of time to heal. Hopefully he’s back skating by now.

Laughton and JVR are exactly the type of players who are satisfied to toe the line and cash their paycheck

JVR was then, and is now, a pu$$y. I dont think the guy ever cared about anything more than getting paid and getting out. 

Laughton on the other hand, lucked into getting signed by a franchise where his meager contribution is overvalued due to the lack of any significant lly better options around him. He is perpetuating a fraud, and Flyer fans are buying it

Personally I think there are a lot more athletes today who are quite content playing for the money. Do they want to win? Sure. But as long as they get paid, winning is a luxury, not a necessity. With the amount of money being thrown around these days, any bum can be a millionaire

*see Laughton above

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

Laughton and JVR are exactly the type of players who are satisfied to toe the line and cash their paycheck

Let.....it.....go

There's a lineup of guys you HAVE to move before you get to Scott Laughton.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CoachX said:

JVR - well obviously. But Scott Laughton? You don't like him that's fine but you don't really believe he's - to paraphrase - a paycheck player do you? Seriously??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Frankly he’s borderline untradeable with that albatross of a contract.

If he comes back and plays well, do the Flyers need to trade him?

The dude ****** cares, he competes, he plays hurt, did everything the team ever asked of him. What's wrong with having that guy around? 

Teams of just young guys don't win anything, some effective veteran presence is usually required to wrangle the energy of the "talented youngsters".

Sean Couturier, if healthy, would certainly be an effective veteran presence. 

Obviously, we don't know how Sean will play after 2 years off, from a significant injury. 

If he is a shell of his former self, He will be at least useful and overpaid.

If he comes back playing to a similar level as he was when he was injured,

-A perennial challenger for Selke trophy signed at around 7.something .aav-  Where's the problem? 

12 hours ago, CoachX said:

Personally I think there are a lot more athletes today who are quite content playing for the money. Do they want to win? Sure. But as long as they get paid, winning is a luxury, not a necessity. With the amount of money being thrown around these days, any bum can be a millionaire

Do the clouds yell back?🤪

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If he comes back and plays well, do the Flyers need to trade him?

I know this wasn't directed at me but feel compelled to answer. No.

Because he does play the right way and he is a great leader i think on and off the ice.

Back when they had Giroux, Jake and him of those 3 if they were to get stuck with one a little longer if someone was to ask - Coots would have been my choice to be that guy.

In a year or two he will be the perfect guy you can slot down in the 4th line center role.

And i get by then he will still have a cap hit of 7.75 mill with 4 years left on it at 34 years of age.

I know i know not where you want to be but as of right now let's just see how this plays out and hope for the best because he is still at this point the least of this teams worries right now as they sort this mess.

But in the future yes we know now he will more likely be a buyout candidate they will have to consider by the 2026-27 season...and that is not now. Some good luck could take place between now and then...fingers' crossed. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But in the future yes we know now he will more likely be a buyout candidate

I thought he would live out every hockey player's dream and finish his career on LTIR in Arizona.

Edited by radoran
  • Haha 2
  • Good Post 1

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

I thought he would live out every hockey player's dream and finish his career on LTIR in Arizona.

Well honestly he was born in Arizona and raised there - so maybe just maybe before he gets to that point maybe they could actually trade him there in a few years before that takes place...they are always need new ways to spend to the cap and he would help.

Sure i know huge ask and no i have not had any bourbon yet this morning but stranger things have happened.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

-A perennial challenger for Selke trophy signed at around 7.something .aav-  Where's the problem? 

Well, this:

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

In a year or two he will be the perfect guy you can slot down in the 4th line center role.

And i get by then he will still have a cap hit of 7.75 mill with 4 years left on it at 34 years of age.

There's risk in signing any contract. But, again, signing a guy for a career-ending contract risks situations we've seen before in Prongerand Weber especially when you're doing it a year early like Voracek (just #flyerrelated).

So, now we're looking at a former perennial Selke winner signed at around $7M for the next seven years with a full NMC who hasn't played a minute of the contract yet.

It's not the biggest "problem" on the roster, but it's not not a problem.

I hope he comes back and can be an effective NHL player.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

So, now we're looking at a former perennial Selke winner signed at around $7M for the next seven years with a full NMC who hasn't played a minute of the contract yet.

Dont-worry-about-it GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2

Zamula will require waivers next season so they need a plan there and i'd hate to lose this kid for free with trying to keep a guy like Seeler around.

Zamula is only 23 and has some upside and is a great fit to start of the bottom pair no less.

I don't think he would survive waivers at all.

• Like 1