Game 70: Florida Panthers at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/21/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Florida is favored (-200) and is 7-3 over their last 10, while we are 3-6-1. 

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/florida-philadelphia-odds-march-21-2023-1706826

We've split the first two meeting with identical 4-3 scores.  The big difference between the teams is scoring/PP:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/fla-vs-phi/2023/03/21/2022021122  Goals Against is virtually identical.  

Egor Zamula will be in the lineup.  According to Torts, this will be short--Egor will be back with the Phantoms for their next game on Sunday.  I am seeing Hart versus Bobo.  

Hart vs Bob should be a good one, a little past/present look at the Flyers goaltending. Hart eventually made me forget how stupidly the Flyers handled Bobrovsky, particularly Laviolette (if the stories were accurate ).…reminiscent of the way Clarke and Holmgren always “valued” goaltending.

• Like 1

I might make it for the last period post-work.  Meanwhile, I remember the days we consistently beat Florida.  Lifetime, we have done well against this team. 

http://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Florida_Panthers#:~:text=History Versus Florida Panthers Overall Record%3A 57 W,- 6 T (147 GF - 131 GA)

But in recent years, they've done well against us, particularly in Sunrise.  I'd say they are a good contrast with us in terms of drafting and fill-in trades.  Tallon and Zito constructed a strong club with excellent draft picks and good trades.  They may have peaked last year but the franchise has a nucleus of good players for several seasons.  Tallon, in particular, was stressing skill and speed for the new NHL.  Their playoff performance has been pee poor, but at least they are entertaining and competitive.  Where the O and B have an edge is Wells Fargo and the surrounding area--a lot more interesting than Sawgrass Mills--a large and hugely successful outlet mall. 

Getting Montour for a 3R has to be one the best pickups ever made. I guess he was struggling in Buffalo but in FLA he’s been spectacular. And a Flyers killer to boot he scores nearly every time they play. Like tonight.

wow Laughton super duper deke-o-rama! Flyers up by 1 again. Strange like you say the Panthers have been beating the Flyers more often but this year….Wowza! Sanheim….Travis Sanheim with his 2nd goal of the night what is happening here? 4-2. Anyway…. what I was about to…WOW and now Provorov! 5-2. …ok one more try….the Flyers have matched up with them really well this year. 1-1 vs FL so far. If they hold on tonight…first of all I’ll be shocked and second they’ll have a 2-1 record against a really good (and loaded with talent) team.

• Like 1

Weird game.

Prolonged periods offensive zone time for each team.

The youngsters don't look too shtty tonite.

What are people thinking about Brendan Lemeiux?

In the small sample size since his arrival he's been pretty good.

He's noticeable in the good ways, he seems tenacious and not stupid. 

Murder Face's Paddy Kane impersonation was great.

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Travis Sanheim with his 2nd goal of the night what is happening here?

Have you not seen the new there is a new sheriff in town and his son has already sent a message....you see this wheelchair??

Next time you screw up Danny told them it won't be a wheelchair it will be one of you guys flung down a flight of stairs!!!!!!

Rumor has it Danny has ties to the Black Hand....things is changing around here!!!!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

In the small sample size since his arrival he's been pretty good.

He's noticeable in the good ways, he seems tenacious and not stupid.

Grumbled when hearing he joined the Flyers,

His father killed us on blue line goal on Hexy to beat us to the next round....but

His father turned it on during Playoffs, if he inherited that DNA he can be a keeper if he wins us a round or two. All will be fine. 

• Like 1

I can't say i have watched every second but as of the little i have watched i have no complaints.

In fact he has been way better than i expected. Will he earn an extension?? Well depends on who it blocks coming up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

In fact he has been way better than i expected. Will he earn an extension?? Well depends on who it blocks coming up.

One of the Flyers biggest problems has been handing out contracts for something somebody did for a very short period of time. Lemieux should be given a contract for his career. The guy has played SIX games. Hayes looked good for longer than that. Deangelo looked good for longer than that. JVR looked good for that many games spread over his entire career. There's over $19 million thrown down the dumpster. 

Heck, Ellis looked good for 2/3 of that. Theres another wasted $6 million.

Lemieux is Lemieux. He's scoring at a career pace. For a contract. For his 4th team in 5 seasons. Those are the things you should be considering. Hell no.

I missed an entertaining game. Two goals from Sanheim. Six goals. That's 3X our average. Florida played back-to-back, but this score is surprising.  I guess Lyon is a career AHL guy. Torts looked sad in the post-game. Strange.

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I always thought he was a liability. Dirty player who takes dumb penalties and no team has seemed to want to keep him for those reasons despite his scrappiness BUT he's been playing solid bottom 6 hockey so idk. Finally figured it out? Knows he's running out of chances? Likes Torts and this system? He looks like a fit but he's also playing for a contract so I'd be afraid of offering him too much term. 

Team is playing well though. They all happy with Fletcher's firing or something? maybe it's not all BS and Torts has in fact built the foundation for a new culture. Looking better than when the season started, that's for sure. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not even a one year deal?

You're saying just move on?

There's a reason why he's been on 4 teams in 5 years. 

There's a reason why Hayes wasn't wanted by either of his previous teams, even though Winnipeg lost a 1st over it.

Theres a reason Deangelo is on his 4th team. 

Those aren't the type of players you build a winner with. Those are "hey, our ceiling is first round playoff exit" cornerstones.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Theres a reason Deangelo is on his 4th team. 

Two of them are actually in the playoffs and the third is Arizona.

Technically, his fifth organization as he was drafted by the Bolts. They traded him about a year after Yzerman was confident he'd "change and grow up."

Spoiler alert...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing is for certain if they can't move Hayes after having his most productive season on this dumpster fire of a team then i am good buying him out and moving on whatever way is best.

And that is AFTER offering to pick up 50% of his salary and no one still wants him.

I'm picking up 50% of TDA contract too just to move on as well. I look at it as free 6 mill and two roster spots.

Not saying teams will line up to get these guys but i expect Danny to go ahead cut ties and move on if he does this he will have earn some good faith from me.

Then all they would have left to find a way to get rid of is Risto. But one boat anchor on the team for another year would be survivable i think.

2023 could look like this maybe...if they decide to move TK too.

86 Joel Farabee - 14 Sean Couturier - 74 Owen Tippett
91 Elliott Desnoyer - 48 Morgan Frost - 52 Tyson Foerster
21 Scott Laughton - 49 Noah Cates - 57 Wade Allison
44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 58 Tanner Laczynski - 23 Bobby Brink

9 Ivan Provorov - 45 Cam York
6 Travis Sanheim - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
24 Nick Seeler - 8 Ronnie Attard
54 Egor Zamula

79 Carter Hart
32 Felix Sandström

I think Torts can get a lot more production out of this group. Should be an uptick in goal scoring it think.

Yes i know this doesn't account for Atkinson but i think they can move him somewhere as a salary dump for picks.

10 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Dirty player who takes dumb penalties and no team has seemed to want to keep him for those reasons despite his scrappiness BUT he's been playing solid bottom 6 hockey so idk. 

Finally figured it out?

That’s what I’ve seen too but “figured it out” meaning he’s now a reliable bottom 9 guy, a good teammate etc? I doubt it and so it comes down to a choice, gamble on him or rebuild with good prospects, veterans you know can help you win PO rounds. At best he’s now a dime-a-dozen player and with his history why bother with Lemieux? To echo the refrain there’s a reason he’s on his 4th or 5th team at 27 years old.

• Like 1

RE: B Lemeuix

I feel like his time with the team has been mostly good. He's brought high tempo and compete level with him. His line seems to feed off his energy.

I have appreciated what I've seen from him since the trade.

I didn't know he was on his 5th team in 4 years- or whatever.

I don't think he is a guy that needs to be extended or brought back unless it is for a team friendly contract then, fine, whatever. 

To me there are 5 Brendan Lemeuixs on the team already, bottom 6 guys isn't what the Flyers lack so, if it were me, I'd be fine letting him walk at season's end and filling his spot with younger cheaper version. 

I was just curious what everyone else was thinking. 

He's not the problem nor is he the solution. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I was just curious what everyone else was thinking. 

He's the kind of player the Ancien Regime would adore - pedigree, "toughness", and fairly nondescript as an actual "hockey" player at age 27.

Hopefully Danny Briere says "thank for your service" and moves along.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

That’s what I’ve seen too but “figured it out” meaning he’s now a reliable bottom 9 guy, a good teammate etc? I doubt it and so it comes down to a choice, gamble on him or rebuild with good prospects, veterans you know can help you win PO rounds. At best he’s now a dime-a-dozen player and with his history why bother with Lemieux? To echo the refrain there’s a reason he’s on his 4th or 5th team at 27 years old.

I don't disagree with that but it all depends on who is available and the term. I definitely wouldn't sign him to a long term deal but if he wants to stay on maybe a 2 year deal for bottom end money why not take the chance? Not really risking all that much. I'd rather look at Hathaway or some of the other FAs first though. 

Also all depends on whether we can free up cap space or not. If we're still stuck with all those big dumb contracts we have now there won't be much room to make any choices at all. 

34 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I don't disagree with that but it all depends on who is available and the term.

I'd say there are younger, cheaper guys on the A/NHL roster with higher upside potential than Lemieux.

Brink, Desnoyers, Wisdom, Tuomaalaa, Foerster off the top of the head.

Essentially, you know what you have in Lemieux. I'd rather find out what we don't know about other players.

30 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

if he wants to stay on maybe a 2 year deal for bottom end money why not take the chance?

because:

there are 5 Brendan Lemeuixs on the team already, bottom 6 guys isn't what the Flyers lack

That sums it up for me, hopefully for Briere too. Even if he didn’t have a history of getting bounced off every team he’s been on since turning pro, what distinguishes him from the crop of bottom 6 the Flyers already have? Nothing really. What he does bring isn’t enough to overlook his history imho.

• Like 1