NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Eastern Conference RD 2: Toronto (A2) vs. Florida (WC2) - (Florida wins series 4-1)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 2: Toronto (A2) vs. Florida (WC2)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Leafs sweep in 4
    • Leafs in 5
    • Leafs in 6
    • Leafs in 7
    • Panthers sweep in 4
    • Panthers in 5*
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I am as surprised as anyone at what the Florida Panthers have been able to accomplish so far in these playoffs.

First off, even MAKING the playoffs after their wildly inconsistent play throughout the season, then to knock off the season wins record setting Bruins, THEN to be up 2-0 in a best of seven against the Leafs, keeping their 'vaunted' offense to just 2 goals per game.

But, if you dig a bit deeper into the Florida team, you realize, 'Hey, not so long ago, these guys were considered by many to be a team on the rise!'
I believed that too. Until I saw the steps backwards they seemed to take during the season, and while the acquisition of Mat Tkachuk was splashy, and frankly, pretty damned good, they DID give up long time Panther, fan favorite, and consistent goal scorer, Jonathan Huberdeau, and just as important, gave up defenseman MacKenzie Weegar, who, IMO, helped keep the Florida defense stable.

So Florida needed help strengthening their defense WITH Weegar still, then go and trade him, and not get any real replacement for him.
Then the end of the season rolls around, there are the Panthers in it, and here we are now with them in the 2nd round, having already eliminated one SC hopeful, and dealing with another.

They must have figured out SOMETHING on their defensive side and Bobrovsky has helped his own cause by playing some of the best hockey I've seen him play in years, under the big spotlight of the playoffs!

As a TB fan, I don't really care for either the Leafs or the Cats.
But dammit all if Florida doesn't impress me and I find myself rooting for those damned felines, even if they DO employ that rat fink Ryan Lomberg on their squad :shifty: 

You would think I'd root for the Leafs so that, if they win it all, I can say my team lost to the very best.
But, in this case, %$#@ the Leafs.
If they can't deal with a Florida Panther team that just managed to figure things out after 82 games, then they deserve whatever further misery they get!

Lots of series left, but for fans of the Maple Leafs, it HAS to feel like a pressure cooker.....Florida patio style! 😎

I still think they are just lucky.  Hockey has more luck than any of the major sports.  Arguably.  We have seen teams come back from 3-0 several times in hockey.   Can happen.  Unlikely but not impossible.  I now would rank the Devils vs Carolina winner the favorite in the East.  

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Seriously, Toronto...seriously!??

Florida and their fair weather fans do not belong in the NHL.  And now they show up?  Where were their fans the last few years?  Empty seats night in and out.  I watched my Sabres play there over the years and the place was empty but for a few Buffalo fans in south Florida.  I don’t know how they survive financially.  They won’t get to the finals.  You can put those words up in lights!

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

We have seen teams come back from 3-0 several times in hockey.   Can happen.  Unlikely but not impossible.

For those keeping score at home ....

NHL Successful comebacks:
In Stanley Cup Playoffs history, 204 teams (as of May 7, 2023) have faced down a 3-0 deficit in a best-of-seven series. Of those, only four teams successfully overcame them - a success rate of just under 2% - and only one of those did so in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Three comebacks were completed with game 7 on road ice, while one was completed on home ice.

The last successful team down 3-0 to come back to win was 9 years ago ....LA over the Sharks

image.png.7ee633fbb31f34c50a91290bc4df4326.png

NHL Unsuccessful comebacks:
Five other NHL teams have evened a series after being down 3–0, only to lose game 7.[8][9] Four of these teams were the visiting team in game 7, while the Detroit Red Wings were the only home team in game 7.

image.png.a257514906befbada17a7556c0221a93.png

The Leafs will become the Laffs once again .... I hear the fat lady warming up .....

Its Over Viking GIF

Here is a link for teams down 3-0.  Only happen once in MLB, only 3x in NBA.  Outside of the MLB / NBA / NHL there have been a handful of other teams outside the US to come back down 3-0.

image.png.21aaee53f258f351074f82bc5aa60138.png

Edited by pilldoc

27 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And now they show up?  Where were their fans the last few years?  Empty seats night in and out.  I watched my Sabres play there over the years and the place was empty but for a few Buffalo fans in south Florida.  I don’t know how they survive financially.

You are not wrong here ......  we joke about it every year and post photos of the Florida arena 2/3 empty.

Edited by pilldoc

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Eastern Conference RD 2: Toronto (A2) vs. Florida (WC2) - (Florida leads series 3-0)

Some Monday morning quotes from Leaf fans to keep you entertained throughout the day:

"The Kraken have two more round 2 victories in the last 19 years and they have been around for 2 years. If that isn’t the just the Leafiest"

"Wow. I am really beginning to regret the decision to grow my very first playoff beard."

"Has a team ever fired it’s coach during a playoff series?"

"Hockey is stupid. This series could easily be 3-0 in favour of the leafs. Stupid high variance sports which has the added variance of officiating being set to “not decide games”"

"I am embracing toxic positivity today."

"It would be the Leafiest thing in the world to win our first series in 20-some years and then f*** up the next round so badly people still get fired."

"I say this now, but may change my mind, but I don't think I can watch game 4."

"I’ve gotten into the stories behind air disasters lately, and even the absolute best talents with the absolute best training and nerves still have a chance of being caught by the startle reflex or any other number of cognitive biases or foibles. I’m feeling the same frustration watching these guys as reading an incident report and shouting at the screen “why didn’t you pull up when the GPWS sounded like ten effing times?” "

"Any team that’s as careless with the puck as we are, especially at both bluelines, deserves whatever they get."

"Towards the end it looked like the Leafs were giving up the blueline in unison, like all falling back at the same speed, in formation, like you did the practical effects with mirrors and only in the special edition 20 years later did they go in and CGI different numbers and battle damage on them so you could tell it wasn’t just one guy and four reflections."

"5 straight games of 2 goals. unbelievable"

"Can they win 4 in a row? Sure.  Have they ever once shown you that they have the guts, balls, heart, or whatever “it” is that great teams have, to overcome adversity? No."

"Do the Leafs just actually suck in the playoffs?  -Asking for a friend"

"Man, I'm getting to the point where the team seriously needs to consider a move if Matthews isn't extended in the summer. If he walks for nothing… I mean, that's straight back to the wilderness for us (barring McDavid coming home or something outlandish)."

"The thought of Matthews with no contract going into the 2023/24 season is literally nauseating. I actually get a little knot in my stomach thinking about it."

"If you've been feeling bad you could be watching Dallas right now. Surprised Oettinger hasn't already been pulled, it's been way more brutal than what we've had to deal with"

"I was trying to calculate the cost in millions of every second-round goal by the Core 4 but then realized you can’t divide by zero."

Ok ..that is enough for now ..... Enjoy! :)

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Florida and their fair weather fans do not belong in the NHL.  And now they show up?  Where were their fans the last few years?  Empty seats night in and out.  I watched my Sabres play there over the years and the place was empty but for a few Buffalo fans in south Florida.  I don’t know how they survive financially.  They won’t get to the finals.  You can put those words up in lights!

The Florida Panthers may not draw well at all, but to even attempt to insinuate the PLAYERS don't deserve success, after all the hard work THEY put in during the season, simply because the fans aren't showing up to the arena, is downright shortsighted!

Maybe the Panthers don't make the Finals, but they've already had 'success' in a good measure by knocking out the Bruins, and if they can do the same to the Leafs (in sweep fashion would be grander, but not necessary...just win the series), then they can double their success, AND that would mean a trip to the East Finals....a worthy goal and accomplishment for many NHL teams...INCLUDING your Sabres who have yet to even taste what a post season is like in many, many years.

Keeping in mind I am no fan of the Florida Panthers, but I will continue to call out anyone who thinks the players who play for the team deserve any less success than players who happen to play for a 'traditional' (another outdated term, BTW) hockey market.
Hockey entitlement? Sounds like it to me...

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@pilldoc

Ha...that is some good stuff.
ONLY in Toronto! :bigteeth: 

Glad you are being entertained! LOL :)   

:smileyandcomputer:

Edited by pilldoc

On 5/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, SaucyJack said:

Are Canadian therapists prepared for an onslaught of calls tomorrow morning, if things don’t change soon?

Is the whole city of Toronto on suicide alert this morning????

(Note:  I am not making fun of those folks who truly need help ...this is just a poke in fun at the city of Toronto and Leaf fans)

23 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The Florida Panthers may not draw well at all, but to even attempt to insinuate the PLAYERS don't deserve success, after all the hard work THEY put in during the season, simply because the fans aren't showing up to the arena, is downright shortsighted!

Maybe the Panthers don't make the Finals, but they've already had 'success' in a good measure by knocking out the Bruins, and if they can do the same to the Leafs (in sweep fashion would be grander, but not necessary...just win the series), then they can double their success, AND that would mean a trip to the East Finals....a worthy goal and accomplishment for many NHL teams...INCLUDING your Sabres who have yet to even taste what a post season is like in many, many years.

Keeping in mind I am no fan of the Florida Panthers, but I will continue to call out anyone who thinks the players who play for the team deserve any less success than players who happen to play for a 'traditional' (another outdated term, BTW) hockey market.
Hockey entitlement? Sounds like it to me...

you have to be a deep team, that's what toronto isnt because they spend so much money at star forwards which leaves their depth vulnerable, i mean look at the kraken, they have a star goalie and they have forwards and d that isnt paid much which they dont have to rely so much on rookies to bail them out.

you cant make super teams anymore because of the salary cap, you have to focus on depth players and getting great goaltending, relying so much on youth is what's going to hurt you if they are not very good.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

9 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

you have to be a deep team, that's what toronto isnt because they spend so much money at star forwards which leaves their depth vulnerable, i mean look at the kraken, they have a star goalie and they have forwards and d that isnt paid much which they dont have to rely so much on rookies to bail them out.

you cant make super teams anymore because of the salary cap, you have to focus on depth players and getting great goaltending, relying so much on youth is what's going to hurt you if they are not very good.

Exactly.

Which is why ANY team, ANY GM that puts in the work, puts in the research, and puts in the smarts can ice a Stanley Cup contender, whether they play in a sunbelt city or a freeze yer arse off city.

Shame on the fans if they don't show up for their team, I am 100% in agreement with that, but I'd never hold that against the players who are actually taking the beatings on the ice.

Even with a team like Toronto whom I LOVE to make fun of (yea, yea....me and millions of others :bigteeth: ), I'd poke fun at their front office more than the players for not properly outfitting this team.
Sure, the team itself can perhaps have whiners, or floaters, or guys who only play half the game, but from where I sit, the Leafs actually DO have some pretty damned good players, some complete players even..... but ownership and/or the GM simply do not know how to get those pieces to fit properly.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

here is their Cap situation ...

image.thumb.png.182eb07c5c29be2720c2c1bc0a8d271a.png

image.thumb.png.e5dedc95fcba88aa7609cb29c2b88a01.png

image.png.9ca7e6d62db3244b1a700b0430aa9bc0.png

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Is the whole city of Toronto on suicide alert this morning????

(Note:  I am not making fun of those folks who truly need help ...this is just a poke in fun at the city of Toronto and Leaf fans)

I've got a Toronto colleague and I still haven't heard of her today and I don't know if I have to worry... Her Teams status has a "out of office" notification...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

The Leaes have half of their salary cap in four guys - Matthews, Marner, Pajamas, Rielly.

In the playoffs, you can concentrate on stopping four guys...

1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

IMG_6894.jpeg

37 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Leaes have half of their salary cap in four guys - Matthews, Marner, Pajamas, Rielly.

Collectively between Marner / Matthews / Reilly / O'Reilly / Nylander / Tavres they have:

1 G / 8A (among them) and are a collective (-10) 

That is the series in a nutshell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Yes this will help with our plan to trade for Matthews...not thar they would be trading just in a hypothetical sense...

***wink wink***

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes this will help with our plan to trade for Matthews...not thar they would be trading just in a hypothetical sense...

***wink wink***

We have no interest in Matthews.

trick teeth GIF by Scorpion Dagger

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, NHL HHOF said:

I'm still right about Florida so far. Florida will win the Stanley Cup! Eric Staal will be re-signed!

I got the Canes winning beat the Stars in game 7.