** Wild 2023 Off Season and Summer **

Jimtown guy

Pretty close to what most of us were saying.  3 years is a bit longer than I was expecting, but it also gives Jesper Wallstedt time to season both in the minors and as an NHL backup before he's given that chance to assume the #1 role.  

Also buys the team some time to draft and develop Wallstedt's backup too if they choose to go that route.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Pretty close to what most of us were saying.  3 years is a bit longer than I was expecting, but it also gives Jesper Wallstedt time to season both in the minors and as an NHL backup before he's given that chance to assume the #1 role.  

Also buys the team some time to draft and develop Wallstedt's backup too if they choose to go that route.

I think it’s a good deal for both sides 

Edited by Jimtown guy

1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

IMG_0786.jpeg

Nicely done by the front office and Gus agreeing on that.

Reasonable AAV, reasonable term.
Leaves Minnesota with some personnel flexibility and should pave the way for Fleury to wind down his career, possibly tenure with the Wild, as well as the minors goalies to show what they have and whether they have a chance to stick in the NHL.

Gus will have his work cut out for him as the Wild will look to be about the same on offense, about the same on defense (hopefully with better decision making), so he will be asked to put together another fantastic season and prove he wasn't a one-season pony last year.

• Like 3

Good sign and nice agreement for both sides. Nice that this happened even before August,4(arbitration day for him). It seems we have some future at least on a goalies part. In my opinion, without Gustavsson it would be harder for the team to get some positive results. 

Sam Steel was signed by Dallas Stars for $850,000 for one 2023-2024 season. I think he was good for us last season (28 points ;10 goals; 18 assists; +/-  +11) in 65 played games. He played a portion of the season with a top line with Kaprizov and Zuccarello, started well, showed some promise, but, unfortunately, did not show consistency in production with that line.

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Sam Steel was signed by Dallas Stars for $850,000 for one 2023-2024 season. I think he was good for us last season (28 points ;10 goals; 18 assists; +/-  +11) in 65 played games. He played a portion of the season with a top line with Kaprizov and Zuccarello, started well, showed some promise, but, unfortunately, did not show consistency in production with that line.

And the Wild have to make room for Rossi...hopefully he can do more than 28 points...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

And the Wild have to make room for Rossi...hopefully he can do more than 28 points...

I hope so too. Boldy showed right away his potential in NHL, but Rossi did not. In 19 NHL games he had only 1 assist; +/- -7 last season. Some Wild fans at my work who watched games at arena said that he looked frustrated during the game, and it looked like he didn't know what the next step he supposed to do. Next 2023-24 season should show more if he is an NHL-er player. I am also concerned about the eye vision for Faber. It seems he has eye problems, carry eyeglasses and probably contacts too. I do not know how that will affect his play as a defenseman. Sharp vision is an important part of a solid defenseman.

21 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

IMG_0880.jpeg

Well, good luck to Dumba in the desert.

Looking over the Coyotes' roster, they have a ton of players on either one year deals, expiring contracts, or guys going to be RFA's at season's end.
Seems to me a big bowl of soup of players to trade off at the deadline should Arizona not have a good year again...which is very likely.

Dumba will simply join that group of potential 'sell off' players.

Coyotes actually have more than a handful of decent to good players, but I it just doesn't look like the cohesion is there, and as mentioned, the longevity due to the contract status of many of the players.

If Dumba wanted to join a contender, he likely would have had to take less money to do so, so this signing reeks of "grab as big a check as you can while you can".
Would be cool if the Yotes FINALLY did something and shocked everyone this coming season, but, I wouldn't hold my breath, and unfortunately, I don't believe Mat Dumba will move the needle much over there by himself.

He joins former Wild teammates Jason Zucker and Nick Bjugstad on the desert dogs.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If Dumba wanted to join a contender, he likely would have had to take less money to do so, so this signing reeks of "grab as big a check as you can while you can".

This is a lot like the other 1-year deals we've seen this off-season: Dumba delayed signing for any kind of term and is waiting for the cap to go up.

• Like 1

(sigh)  Meh, Dumba going to Arizona isn't a big deal.  They better hope they can give him a very defensively responsible partner for all the watching he likes to do in and around the crease.  

Nice guy, but I am not sentimental about his departure.  It was time and the cap crunch probably helped spare the team from making a contract mistake although they will have a chance to make it again next year when he's a UFA again.  

• Good Post 1

Probably with that Arizona sign for Dumba, we will be able to sign Addison.  I do not know why , but now I have more feelings that with Maroon on our team and current roster we will pass next season at least 2 playoffs rounds. Usually Maroon brings more luck to the teams where he plays 🙂.  And a better protection. Tampa is an example. We will see for our team of 2023-24 season, but it is always a hope for a better success. 

I agree with @IllaZilla I don't think he's in a good position to play hardball with the Wild, the team has a ton of defensive prospects and his game isn't complete.  Faber may not have as many points but he is a far better defender than Addison.  No arbitration...so accept a $800k deal or sit.  

I’ve seen enough of Addison to see that he is definitely not good enough to be as small as he is and be the second small defenseman on a team. 
The Wild can only afford to have one small defenseman and right now and for the foreseeable future that’s Spurgeon. 
Trade him and cut your losses.