John Tortorella?

phlfly

13 hours ago, radoran said:

That said, he's not "Briere's" coach.

right but I wonder how much that matters to DB. The 2 of them seem like they’re on the same page for now.

I’ve been impressed with Tortorella’s interviews these days. He sounds like a different person compared to his reputation when he was in TB and NY. Of course there wasn’t much fan access to coaches back then compared to today, so maybe he’s the same as ever. But I don’t think so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

right but I wonder how much that matters to DB. The 2 of them seem like they’re on the same page for now.

It doesn't matter now.

It could matter in a few years.

They are on the same page now but that could certainly be a factor down the line.

Emphasis on "could" and in the previous post "if".

It's a great position for Briere to be in - he has a coach he's comfortable with today and the flexibility to do whatever he wants tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 7/26/2023 at 10:43 PM, CoachX said:

No. You didn't.  I didn't take it that way, and apologies, no implication was meant.

Funny thing, everything else you put in this post is exactly what I was saying about DB before, and immediately when he was hired. I didn't like it one bit. I'm still not sure it will work.  All I'm saying is he's here now, and ain't schidt I can do about it. So I'm hoping he does a good job and even though I was against this, I still like it better that what was here before

That was my opinion of Torts until he proved otherwise too. Briere doesn’t have a record or reputation per se so even though he is a former Flyer, I am willing to give him a chance. I absolutely love how he started by dumping the chafe and is starting from scratch. Flyers should be icing the youngest team in the NHL(other than Marc Staal who I look at as a playing coach). Honestly, just looking forward to watching real hockey again period.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

That was my opinion of Torts until he proved otherwise too. Briere doesn’t have a record or reputation per se so even though he is a former Flyer, I am willing to give him a chance. I absolutely love how he started by dumping the chafe and is starting from scratch. Flyers should be icing the youngest team in the NHL(other than Marc Staal who I look at as a playing coach). Honestly, just looking forward to watching real hockey again period.

The best decision DB has made so far was to not trade Laughts! :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1

Putting aside Torts' potential mellowing, my gut says he will have an extended honeymoon.  

1.  People know this squad is marginal.  If he can instill good habits with an increasingly skilled cadre of players, fine.

2. Anyone with half a head on his/her shoulders knows coaching has not been the problem with this squad since the 2004-05 strike.  Our problem has been talent.  I suspect we will have four years of Torts because dumping him sooner, unless there is some awful behavioral issue, would be useless, maybe even counterproductive.  

I take him at face value when he states this is "the land of opportunity."  That's why I see Opening Night to Black Friday as a carousel of players with lots of losses.  It will be ongoing experimentation that yields results down the road.  

• Like 2