**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

6 hours ago, Icechipper said:

These reports on recent HR issues with team, including GM Bill Guerin, are concerning. This need to be taken care of ASAP, for sake of organization.

Some pretty interesting reading in the Athletic regarding this. Chris O’Hearn and the Wild suddenly parted ways after an internal investigation by a third party. Russo didn’t even see that coming and he’s about as connected as they come. So now BG is without his right hand man and capologist. And now BG is being called out by a whistleblower for using abusive language. 

On 12/17/2023 at 10:52 AM, IllaZilla said:

Some pretty interesting reading in the Athletic regarding this. Chris O’Hearn and the Wild suddenly parted ways after an internal investigation by a third party. Russo didn’t even see that coming and he’s about as connected as they come. So now BG is without his right hand man and capologist. And now BG is being called out by a whistleblower for using abusive language. 

And the team agreed to mutually part ways with Andrew Heydt, the whistleblower who brought up Guerin's abusive language to HR.  Either way, its been a pretty rough month around the Wild front offices me-thinks.  

And Jasper Wallstedt injured?

Zane McIntryre, 31, Thief River Falls/Fargo Force/UND, has limited NHL experience with Boston. He's 6-2, 200.  Great individual, volunteer coach in Moorhead while with Fargo in USHL.

Edited by Icechipper
  • Sad 1

Walker has been given 4 games this season. 2 earlier on different lines each night and 2 more just now. 
He looked promising last year and this year in preseason. 
What happened? Why the short leash?

I didn’t think he was great in any of the games this year, but he didn’t look awful either. 
Did he say something to get in the doghouse or is it just money?

6 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Walker sent back down to be replaced by Raska. 
Raska appears to be a smallish goon. 
61 pims in 20 games?

Raska is the slab of meat the Wild got in the Calen Addison trade. GMBG loves “grit”…

As of today the Wild are 3 points above a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft.

They are also 3 points behind Edmonton for the last playoff spot.

However Edmonton has 3 games in hand.

I think it's time to start playing all 4 lines evenly. No special pp unit, no special pk unit.

The line that draws the penalty gets to start the pp. The line that takes the penalty starts to kill the penalty. 

Learn if they lose rejoice if they win.

Hope for a great ping pong ball, and go into next year healthy. 

• Good Post 1

5 hours ago, Tomdog said:

As of today the Wild are 3 points above a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft.

They are also 3 points behind Edmonton for the last playoff spot.

However Edmonton has 3 games in hand.

I think it's time to start playing all 4 lines evenly. No special pp unit, no special pk unit.

The line that draws the penalty gets to start the pp. The line that takes the penalty starts to kill the penalty. 

Learn if they lose rejoice if they win.

Hope for a great ping pong ball, and go into next year healthy. 

That will never happen. Because it's "Playoffs or Bust" with GMBG and Leipold...

GM BG should take a look at what Dallas did by missing the playoffs for 1 year( draft Robertson)

There is no shame in missing the playoffs and having a crap year when you go through an injury year like this.

The shame is not capitalizing on the draft pick that you could have gotten. 

20 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

GM BG should take a look at what Dallas did by missing the playoffs for 1 year( draft Robertson)

There is no shame in missing the playoffs and having a crap year when you go through an injury year like this.

The shame is not capitalizing on the draft pick that you could have gotten. 

Unfortunately GMBG doesn’t view the draft in a positive way. He basically pooh poohs the draft. He’d rather take a shot at making the Playoffs than take a shot at a top pick. 

On 1/9/2024 at 7:13 PM, IllaZilla said:

Unfortunately GMBG doesn’t view the draft in a positive way. He basically pooh poohs the draft. He’d rather take a shot at making the Playoffs than take a shot at a top pick. 

I am not sure I'd go that far.  However I'd say Leipold could care less about the draft and all he wants is that Round 1 of the playoffs revenue, anything else be damned.  The Wild have been trying to serve two masters for way too long (not rebuild, win a Stanley Cup) and the result is they're piss poor at both.  

I think Guerin is keeping the guys around him that he likes.  He remembers the veteran-led New Jersey Devils teams and probably in his Penguins run and figures you can build up around the vets and then the draft guys help provide the support for the experienced core instead of the other way around.  The vets are who they are.  

Either way, I think we all have recognized this organization and its approached have been flawed for years and the moves made this fall only made their problem worse both in the short term and long-term.  

• Good Post 1

I posted last night in the coyote game thread that the Wild may be in some type of tankless tank system. 
As of this morning they are the 5th worst team in the league. 
If they continue they should be in line to draft at a better position than they have in years. 
Brodin and Spurgeon’s return will definitely give them a boost, but I’m sure they can come up with something to offset that. 
As of today Bogosian is their 3rd best defenseman. Keep in mind he couldn’t get ice time in Tampa. 
Merril and Gologoski are having a battle over who is the worst. 
There is absolutely no one in the forward group that makes you think they can skate around anyone and take the puck to the net and score. 
Kaprizov does some great things but he isn’t the scary type who will undress a defenseman. 

This team needs more talent and losing this year for a top pick should NOT be looked at as a bad thing. 

• Good Post 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:21 AM, Tomdog said:

I posted last night in the coyote game thread that the Wild may be in some type of tankless tank system. 
As of this morning they are the 5th worst team in the league. 
If they continue they should be in line to draft at a better position than they have in years. 
Brodin and Spurgeon’s return will definitely give them a boost, but I’m sure they can come up with something to offset that. 
As of today Bogosian is their 3rd best defenseman. Keep in mind he couldn’t get ice time in Tampa. 
Merril and Gologoski are having a battle over who is the worst. 
There is absolutely no one in the forward group that makes you think they can skate around anyone and take the puck to the net and score. 
Kaprizov does some great things but he isn’t the scary type who will undress a defenseman. 

This team needs more talent and losing this year for a top pick should NOT be looked at as a bad thing. 

Their cap situation doesn't allow them really to do much else.  I also saw someone speculate that perhaps the poor effort is a team that's unhappy with the organization for whatever reason.  They got rid of their caretaker in Andrew Heydt, I wonder if O'Hearn told Guerin he'd made a mistake...and thus both were shipped out but the problem remains.  At some point, it has to just come crashing down on Guerin right?  

You don't hear squat from the In Billy G we trust crowd anymore.