Hellebuyck and Scheifele both get 7 year deals at $8.5 Milliuon

Brewin Flames

Connor Hellebuyck, Mark Scheifele Sign 7-Year Jets Contracts Worth $8.5M per Season

FRANCISCO ROSAOCTOBER 9, 2023

CALGARY, AB - OCTOBER 02: Winnipeg Jets Goalie Connor Hellebuyck (37) stretches during the first period of an NHL preseason game between the Calgary Flames and the Winnipeg Jets on October 2, 2023, at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, AB. (Photo by Brett Holmes/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

The Winnipeg Jets are wrapping up their offseason in a big way.

With just one day remaining until the NHL's opening night, the organization locked down both goalie Connor Hellebuyck and centre Mark Scheifele to multiyear deals Monday, ensuring their futures north of the border, according to an announcement by Jets.

Hellebuyck and Scheifele signed identical seven-year deals worth $8.5 million per season. Both players were set to become unrestricted free agents after this year.

This article will be updated soon to provide more information and analysis.

Just now, Podein25 said:

Helly's gonna be 37 at the end of this deal. That's getting up there. Lots of miles on those legs as it is. Has any goalie played more minutes these last few years?

Nope...., but that said, it ends the long running rumors that they both wanted out.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Helly's gonna be 37 at the end of this deal. That's getting up there. Lots of miles on those legs as it is. Has any goalie played more minutes these last few years?

John Gibson has...errr, no wait....
Matt Murray has certain....umm, nah....
Antii Raanta...yea, he....

Guess not.
Connor Hellebuyck.
One of the last of the true Tonka Tough goalies left :) 

• Like 2

I guess both Scheifele and Hellbuyck have been given the insurance that Bowness is gone after the upcoming season. Scheifele's deal is good -- he's the face of the franchise --. On the other hand, as good as Hellebuyck is, giving him a 7-year deal (by extension, to any goalie goalie in general) is a mistake and the Jets might regret it.

35 minutes ago, Math said:

I guess both Scheifele and Hellbuyck have been given the insurance that Bowness is gone after the upcoming season. Scheifele's deal is good -- he's the face of the franchise --. On the other hand, as good as Hellebuyck is, giving him a 7-year deal (by extension, to any goalie goalie in general) is a mistake and the Jets might regret it.

It was important to keep these two, Winnipeg is developing a rep as Siberia of the NHL. If the two faces of the franchise left, who knows, they may have ended up relocating to somewhere stupid like Arizona.

Oh wait.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Must think the cap will rise. Coach and GM long gone by the time these deals expire.....🫤

Can't remember where I saw it, but in reading articles about something else, a mention was made that the salary cap is expected to rise to around 89 - 90M as soon as next year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Can't remember where I saw it, but in reading articles about something else, a mention was made that the salary cap is expected to rise to around 89 - 90M as soon as next year.

Yeah, Gary Bettman said it the other day.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Both of these two players are studs and proven stars.  The Jets had to do it. I would say looking at the comparable contracts of similar players, these new contracts are in the right neighborhood.

id call these contracts team friendly compared to what they could have asked for. Especially Hellboy. He's placed top 4 for the Vezina in 4 of the last 6 years and accrued votes for the hart trophy in all 4 years. Even when Winnipeg's defense is putrid, he's solid. A bad year for him was 29 wins and a 91%sv

• Like 1

I think it was very important for a market like the Jets to ink those two long-term, given all the rumors and overall negativity around those who wanted to leave. That was a factor for the Niederreiter extension for example.

3 minutes ago, Math said:

I think it was very important for a market like the Jets to ink those two long-term, given all the rumors and overall negativity around those who wanted to leave. That was a factor for the Niederreiter extension for example.

I honestly think getting Wheeler out of that locker room was probably a big plus too.