✨🥅 2023-24 NHL GENERAL SEASON THREAD 🥅 ✨

TropicalFruitGirl26

Never thought I'd see or hear this:
Stuido analysts (Mark Messier and PK Subban) actually defending a Tom Wilson hit from behind!

Granted, I think they ARE NOT WRONG...because the Ranger player being hit turned his back to Wilson at the last second, and both analysts seem to think the player saw Wilson heading their way and turned themselves to the board on purpose to avoid the hit...which of course Wilson will not avoid contact...or have Wilson take a penalty if he does hit....which is what happened!

Point being, the player being hit purposely put himself in career jeopardy, simply to try and draw a penalty unnecessarily.
I kinda agree with that.
Messier was going on about how that is the wrong way for young players growing into teens and into young adults to learn to play: Putting yourself needlessly in high danger like that.

He further went on to point out that Wilson even looked like he let up on the hit a bit, which, it looked like he did.

Wilson's past and reputation, of course, along with the contact, drew the ire of the Ranger players, but man...has the world gone bizarro when Wilson, maybe not quite the white hat, is at least being painted with just a light grey hat in a situation like this! :bigteeth: 

21 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Never thought I'd see or hear this:
Stuido analysts (Mark Messier and PK Subban) actually defending a Tom Wilson hit from behind!

Granted, I think they ARE NOT WRONG...because the Ranger player being hit turned his back to Wilson at the last second, and both analysts seem to think the player saw Wilson heading their way and turned themselves to the board on purpose to avoid the hit...which of course Wilson will not avoid contact...or have Wilson take a penalty if he does hit....which is what happened!

Point being, the player being hit purposely put himself in career jeopardy, simply to try and draw a penalty unnecessarily.
I kinda agree with that.
Messier was going on about how that is the wrong way for young players growing into teens and into young adults to learn to play: Putting yourself needlessly in high danger like that.

He further went on to point out that Wilson even looked like he let up on the hit a bit, which, it looked like he did.

Wilson's past and reputation, of course, along with the contact, drew the ire of the Ranger players, but man...has the world gone bizarro when Wilson, maybe not quite the white hat, is at least being painted with just a light grey hat in a situation like this! :bigteeth: 

Players are being coached to do this now: either the checking forward lets up and you win the puck battle, or he hits you and probably takes a penalty. I think it's crazy, but that's what they're teaching now. A lot of young players are not being taught how to protect themselves, and I'm sure it almost looks like a different sport to the one Messier came up in.

• Like 2

Just now, JR Ewing said:

Players are being coached to do this now: either the checking forward lets up and you win the puck battle, or he hits you and probably takes a penalty. I think it's crazy, but that's what they're teaching now. A lot of young players are not being taught how to protect themselves, and I'm sure it almost looks like a different sport to the one Messier came up in.

Yea...Messier was pretty emphatic about the danger young players put themselves in playing that way.
He even went on to describe how a player can sorta turn sideways, still protect the puck, while at the same time not lining their heads up with the boards.

But if they are being COACHED to turn completely away....yikes...hard for the youngster to question a coach on it.

Very alien indeed to Mr. Messier!

Rangers continue to scuffle getting wins as they get beat by the Capitals 3-2.
Still sitting in 1st place in the Metro but those skate steps they are hearing? 
The Carolina Hurricanes...

Despite the talent on the Rangers, I am not sure I buy them yet as Stanley Cup contenders.
They have some solid veteran forwards, but an injury here or there would certainly thin them out to the point where they  HAVE to rely on younger players still learning their way...

I am not particularly sold on their bottom six grinders, and their defense, outside of Adam Fox, Jacob Trouba, and MAYBE Erik Gustafsson, still largely unproven.

Shesterkin, of course, covers a lot of deficiencies and/or inexperience defensively, but again, if he isn't available or on his game, I don't see Jonathan Quick backstopping this squad to the Finals, much less winning it all.

I like the Carolina Hurricanes coming out of the Metro and into the East Finals, who have been building towards a Cup championship for a few seasons now. Even though the Rangers have as well, I just feel the Canes have the better mix and formula ready...except, maybe (and ironically) their goaltending without Freddie Andersen.
Can young Kotchetkov backstop this team to a title? Dunno...maybe, maybe not.

And who could I envision the Canes facing in the East Finals?
Boston is always a good answer, but you know what? 
The Florida Panthers...who seem to have been and continue to be, on the same sort of competitive track as the Canes.

Panthers and Hurricanes...two teams who looked like they were gonna regress big time this year, seem to have figured out their schtick and looking pretty darn good these days.

Strange rumblings indicate Merzlikins isn't happy being #3 goalie.

How about Merzlikins for Jack Campbell? Almost the exact same contract, same length and both need a change of scenery lol

Might be like moving the beat up old deck chairs around, but why not?

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Rangers continue to scuffle getting wins as they get beat by the Capitals 3-2.
Still sitting in 1st place in the Metro but those skate steps they are hearing? 
The Carolina Hurricanes...

Despite the talent on the Rangers, I am not sure I buy them yet as Stanley Cup contenders.
They have some solid veteran forwards, but an injury here or there would certainly thin them out to the point where they  HAVE to rely on younger players still learning their way...

I am not particularly sold on their bottom six grinders, and their defense, outside of Adam Fox, Jacob Trouba, and MAYBE Erik Gustafsson, still largely unproven.

Shesterkin, of course, covers a lot of deficiencies and/or inexperience defensively, but again, if he isn't available or on his game, I don't see Jonathan Quick backstopping this squad to the Finals, much less winning it all.

I like the Carolina Hurricanes coming out of the Metro and into the East Finals, who have been building towards a Cup championship for a few seasons now. Even though the Rangers have as well, I just feel the Canes have the better mix and formula ready...except, maybe (and ironically) their goaltending without Freddie Andersen.
Can young Kotchetkov backstop this team to a title? Dunno...maybe, maybe not.

And who could I envision the Canes facing in the East Finals?
Boston is always a good answer, but you know what? 
The Florida Panthers...who seem to have been and continue to be, on the same sort of competitive track as the Canes.

Panthers and Hurricanes...two teams who looked like they were gonna regress big time this year, seem to have figured out their schtick and looking pretty darn good these days.

The Answer is yes Kochetkov can.....I BELIEVE!

And how dare you misspell the name of the next Lord Hasek?!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Strange rumblings indicate Merzlikins isn't happy being #3 goalie.

How about Merzlikins for Jack Campbell? Almost the exact same contract, same length and both need a change of scenery lol

Might be like moving the beat up old deck chairs around, but why not?

Sounds like a @ruxpin trade.
He has gotten pretty good over the years at re-arranging Titanic decks... :shifty: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yea...Messier was pretty emphatic about the danger young players put themselves in playing that way.
He even went on to describe how a player can sorta turn sideways, still protect the puck, while at the same time not lining their heads up with the boards.

But if they are being COACHED to turn completely away....yikes...hard for the youngster to question a coach on it.

Very alien indeed to Mr. Messier!

Messier as a player would not have given an F and would have creamed the player lol

Of Course if Messier played today, like Scott Stevens, he would not be able to do what he did back in the 80's and 90's and get away with it

Messier was eating suspensions in an era when Dirty plays were largely forgiven LOL

On 1/13/2024 at 7:01 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I just KNEW the Crayola company was gonna want in on that NHL dollar at some point... :ph34r:

You can thank Justin Bieber, co-owner of clothing company drew house......

2 hours ago, Math said:

On the exact opposite side of the hockey profanation of those garbage All Star jersey, these should become the new Lightning regular ones ASAP.

xa61j7zb2s6vyqiixu6n.jpg

Hehe...except...the NFL's TB Buccaneers might take issue with it....but cool nonetheless! :)

bucs.jpg.2c8dd2165af21fd847b4225d2cf55f54.jpg