Game 4: Edmonton Oilers at Philadelphia Flyers; 11/19/23 @ 7:30, ESPN+/Hulu

Howie58

Greetings:

I am posting this early. Edmonton is the favorite (-195).  

Meanwhile, these teams are roughly .500 against each other overall, but it has been a home advantage competition:

https://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Edmonton_Oilers

This will be a test for our young defensemen.  

Edited by Howie58

One thing is for certain Torts needs to play Frost so they can show case him and show off his skills so when they trade him this year they can get max value for him.

He can not continue to devalue him with scratches like he did with Hayes.

I already know Frost will not survive the year I just have that gut feeling with him.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

One thing is for certain Torts needs to play Frost so they can show case him and show off his skills so when they trade him this year they can get max value for him.

He can not continue to devalue him with scratches like he did with Hayes.

I already know Frost will not survive the year I just have that gut feeling with him.

Frost is one of the most skilled guys we have, some of the plays he made last year are never made by a Flyers player.  We are weak at center and low on skill, plus we dont know how Coots will hold up. Frost was awesome in the second half last season, some guys take a while to get going.  It's only two games, if he is traded, we will get a late first round pick at best. We want to build the team asap, so Konecny is the one who should be traded, we are overloaded at RW and Konecny gets us the best return. 

42 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Frost is one of the most skilled guys we have, some of the plays he made last year are never made by a Flyers player.  We are weak at center and low on skill, plus we dont know how Coots will hold up. Frost was awesome in the second half last season, some guys take a while to get going.  It's only two games, if he is traded, we will get a late first round pick at best. We want to build the team asap, so Konecny is the one who should be traded, we are overloaded at RW and Konecny gets us the best return. 

If they play him.

Won't get squat if they keep scratching him.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If they play him.

Won't get squat if they keep scratching him.

True, but I guess nothing will happen until the deadline.  I keep hearing the Flyers want Tyler Boucher from Ottawa in exchange for a salary dump.He's been injured alot and he's a right wing, that's the last thing we need and the nepotism never ends. I'd rather have Bobby Boucher...who dat?

59 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

True, but I guess nothing will happen until the deadline.  I keep hearing the Flyers want Tyler Boucher from Ottawa in exchange for a salary dump.He's been injured alot and he's a right wing, that's the last thing we need and the nepotism never ends. I'd rather have Bobby Boucher...who dat?

That was more for the compensation of taking Matthieu Joseph so the Sens could have the cap space to sign Shane Pinto who is yet to be signed.

Flyers kind of just wanted Pinto for taking on Joseph's contract.

Think that may be dead now.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

True

See what I'm saying...

Charlie O'Connor @charlieo_conn Carter Hart starts tonight. Ristolainen still out. Morgan Frost still a scratch. Zamula out, Andrae in.

...devaluing assets then ask his GM to move him later for something of value in return.

Make it make sense...

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm 0% trolling on this... I don't think Frost being healthy scratched is wildly changing views on him outside the city of Philadelphia. His offense, at the NHL level, has always been a little shy, so he won't get a lot of at bats at the top of the batting order. He's a centre who's not strong defensively and doesn't win faceoffs, so his value in the bottom-six is hurt as well. He'll be 25 before the season is over, so it's not like he'll gain interest as a prospect at this stage of his career.

What's "devaluing" him as an asset is what's keeping him out of the lineup in the first place, and every team can see that.

Sure but all I've seen is in the 2nd half of last year he was a top 5 in point the 2nd half of the season actually being productive and looking like he might be turning the corner.

And now this.

So to me with his issues he should have been traded instead of resigned where have we heard that before.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So to me with his issues he should have been traded instead of resigned where have we heard that before.

Maybe management wanted to see Couturier in action before trading away a center, even an underachiever like Frost. I know Frost picked it up in the 2nd half last year but let’s face it he had nowhere to go but up and it’s not like he amazed everybody he just got involved in the offense a little more often. The 2 games he played this year…I know a tiny sample … he hasn’t impressed, hence the scratches.

14 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Maybe management wanted to see Couturier in action before trading away a center, even an underachiever like Frost. I know Frost picked it up in the 2nd half last year but let’s face it he had nowhere to go but up and it’s not like he amazed everybody he just got involved in the offense a little more often. The 2 games he played this year…I know a tiny sample … he hasn’t impressed, hence the scratches.

I'm good with whatever Danny thinks is best.

And if you move Frost now we'll it is pretty much no chance of a good return.

However if you get him playing like he was at the end of last year then well you may have a chance on something coming back being useful.

Hes only signed for two years at 2 million, we are paying fourth liners double that. It's not like he's blocking some other high end center from playing. The only prospect we have at center is Gauthier and we have to see if he can actually play center at the NHL level. Frost had great chemistry with Tippett and Farabee. Either way we will have to do something about all the offensive style right wingers we have and we have no help coming at center until next year when Gauthier makes the team. I think Frost should be playing and you shouldn't be rotating young developing players like Brink,Forrester, Zamula and Andrae. Guaranteed when Risto comes back , Andrae goes to the Phantoms. Typical Flyers to play òlder vets with no future in Philly over the young guys. I just hope at the deadline we unload  a bunch of veterans and go with the youth the rest of the way.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We want to build the team asap, so Konecny is the one who should be traded, we are overloaded at RW and Konecny gets us the best return. 

We can also trade Laughton, along with Cam Atkinson once he's proven he's healthy again.  However, that depends on whether they're rebuilding to win a Cup, or just to put more fannies in the stands.

Edited by radoran

Just now, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nope. This is just the typical fast start and then it collapses after Hallowe'en. I fully expect that they'll be bottom barrel by the end of November. The only thing I'm looking forward to this year is Travis Sanheim finally breaking out and it's looking like he is. 

They started 5-2 year.

Not being fooled by this team.

Now if they did this vs the Devils, Rangers, Canes or Bolts I'd be more impressed.

In my mind THEY are still the trap game for someone else.

They'll have to change my mind.

I will say this though. Sean Walker has been a very nice addition to the club. He's been really good back there (minus the Ottawa game, but that was the entire team). If he continues, he might be the one veteran I hope they keep around. He just quietly goes about his business in a real effective manner.