Game 24: Philadelphia Flyers at Pittsburgh Penguins: 12/2/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Pitt is the favorite, (-150) despite very similar records.  The Pens are 7-2-1 versus Philly over the last 10, and particularly good against us at home:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/12-2-2023/philadelphia-flyers-vs-pittsburgh-penguins-prediction-4333/

Stats are interesting.  On PP and PK, the squads are virtually identical.  But faceoffs and offense go to Pitt:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-pit/2023/12/02/2023020363

I hate to say it, but this may boil down to whether we can score first.  So far, that's the only way we win.  We need to keep Crosby off the board...he kills us.  

Edited by Howie58

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I hate to say it, but this may boil down to whether we can score first. 

When they got that 3rd goal last night I thought….maybe, finally at long last…but no, not to be.

At some point the Flyers will get a comeback win…won’t they? The law of averages and all that…but you’re right on Pittsburgh ice it may be too much to ask, an extra heavy lift. Crazy year…

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

When they got that 3rd goal last night I thought….maybe, finally at long last…but no, not to be.

At some point the Flyers will get a comeback win…won’t they? The law of averages and all that…but you’re right on Pittsburgh ice it may be too much to ask, an extra heavy lift. Crazy year…

Earlier today I wondered if we are approaching a league record?  Is is bad luck or absence of scoring talent?  I don't buy into the crap about "getting off to bad starts."  A combination of talent and coaching style is leading to this.  

Pittsburgh received a break with San Jose beating New Jersey on the 1st. Put the Pens and Devils in  a tie. With a couple lof wins against the Flyers the Pens could move up a few places in the standings. With that said, the will win both games! Pens won't make the playoffs! Here's hoping I'm wrong!

Just now, notfondajane said:

Pittsburgh received a break with San Jose beating New Jersey on the 1st. Put the Pens and Devils in  a tie. With a couple lof wins against the Flyers the Pens could move up a few places in the standings. With that said, the Flyers will win both games! Pens won't make the playoffs! Here's hoping I'm wrong!

On 12/1/2023 at 6:42 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

Sure seems like the Flyers could use an injection of confidence kid's who can perform on the powerplay.

7 for 78 on the powerplay for the year is embarrassing for the Flyers.

Edited by OccamsRazor

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure seems like the Flyers could use an injection of confidence kid's who can perform on the powerplay.

https://twitter.com/Flyers_Clips/status/1730776598012411945/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1730776598012411945&currentTweetUser=Flyers_Clips

7 for 78 on the powerplay for the year is embarrassing for the Flyers.

Occ:  You'd reckon that at least one or two of the youngins would take the reins on it.  I wonder if they are afraid of the Wrath of Torts?  We knew going into the year that the squad might be fair-to-middln offensively.  Nope. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

They didn't make it easy on themselves

man you're not kidding. They haven't had many (any?) easy-on-themselves games this year but last night was off the charts. The PP is still unreliable - not quite DOA since Foerster ripped one home on the PP. The PK had to be damn near perfect and lo and behold it delivered once again!

A big 0 for Crosby and 1 assist for Malkin. Letang and Guentzel...well you can't stop them all I guess - !

Ersson has really found his groove. Jarry was excellent too. Gotta love old man Couturier's move scoring the SO winner.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

Foerster is becoming a true power forward.  Even when he wasn't scoring goals, he was playing great defense & making smart plays. 

On the other hand, Sanheim haas been awful.  That was a great deflection by him scoring a goal on Errson.  Sanheim is now a team worse -14.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Like 1