Wild vs Lightning; Thursday 01/18/24; 6:00 PM CT; Amalie Arena

Lightning is a tough team to play against, but still I would like to predict our win with a score 5:4 in OT(or SO). One win at a time should be in focus of our players. Hope Maroon and Bogosian will be highly motivated to play this game well.

It would be nice to see a similar effort as the last game but that was fresh after the team meeting and getting Fleury his W for solo 2nd place.
A couple days off and the momentum/Emotion may be a bit less. Still always a chance given most the players are back and getting their game back.
I'll go with a 4-3 W not knowing who's in goal. 

Already seeing a bunch of FB clickbait posts about 'Now that Fleury has achieved the 2nd place record, Will the Wild trade him at deadline if the PO's are looking out of reach?'
Don't take much stock in that but why would they anyhow? The plan is to use him and Gus this season and bring Wallstedt next year.
Not much to gain but maybe some picks I imagine but for what next season, We're still in Cap hell then too.
My gut tells me Fleury would want to finish his season here and then make a deal with Pittsburg to play at least 1 game (or more) and retire as a Penquin.

• Good Post 1

47 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

It would be nice to see a similar effort as the last game but that was fresh after the team meeting and getting Fleury his W for solo 2nd place.
A couple days off and the momentum/Emotion may be a bit less. Still always a chance given most the players are back and getting their game back.
I'll go with a 4-3 W not knowing who's in goal. 

Already seeing a bunch of FB clickbait posts about 'Now that Fleury has achieved the 2nd place record, Will the Wild trade him at deadline if the PO's are looking out of reach?'
Don't take much stock in that but why would they anyhow? The plan is to use him and Gus this season and bring Wallstedt next year.
Not much to gain but maybe some picks I imagine but for what next season, We're still in Cap hell then too.
My gut tells me Fleury would want to finish his season here and then make a deal with Pittsburg to play at least 1 game (or more) and retire as a Penquin.

I have seen those media posts about trading Fleury if the playoffs are looking out of reach. I have seen also for same reason Canucks are very interested in EEK during trade time.

Hope, those are just only talks. Definitely, last game showed that team has a nice potential, but is not using in full yet.

I wouldn't put too much stock in those articles. He really has no incentive to waive his NMC. He's got his name the Cup multiple times, he's #2 all time for wins (And the way teams are resorting to the 1A-1B tandems I really don't see anyone catching him), and he doesn't want to be away from his family.

Those writers are grasping at straws because the Wild are at that point where they have to take a hard look at the team and decide if they are a Playoff team. GMBG seems to think so. But it's kind of a moot point, because the extensions for Foligno, Hartman, Zucarello, and Gadreau eliminated any buying or selling. They have nothing to sell, and can't buy because of the cap hit. For better or worse, this is the Wild team for the next two seasons...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in those articles. He really has no incentive to waive his NMC. He's got his name the Cup multiple times, he's #2 all time for wins (And the way teams are resorting to the 1A-1B tandems I really don't see anyone catching him), and he doesn't want to be away from his family.

Those writers are grasping at straws because the Wild are at that point where they have to take a hard look at the team and decide if they are a Playoff team. GMBG seems to think so. But it's kind of a moot point, because the extensions for Foligno, Hartman, Zucarello, and Gadreau eliminated any buying or selling. They have nothing to sell, and can't buy because of the cap hit. For better or worse, this is the Wild team for the next two seasons...

Boom goes the dynamite!  Honestly, this is 100% right.  This is your Minnesota Wild team; as uninspiring as it mostly is right now.  It will just get a little older but its not going to be able to change much at all.  I agree, I don't think Fleury leaves because as @IllaZilla points out he has absolutely nothing to prove.  This is his victory lap season and I think he's enjoying savoring the moment as much as he can.  

As for tonight's game.  Yea, I'm not too optimistic.  Even if they play with an effort more akin to what they had against the Islanders I don't see Tampa just failing to show up like New York did.  That in itself will make it pretty tough for the Wild to have a chance.  Hopefully the team keeps #4 in the press box and let Daemon Hunt continue to play.  

8 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Erickson-Ek for captain?

Be my pick. Gonna miss this one too. Damn hockey practice in a town 35 miles from here who we co-op with. And their barn is an icebox 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

I see Spurgeon is out for the season and now on LTIR, so suddenly the Wild have just shy of $8M in cap space to get another player...

Brendan Dillion /S. In all reality I could see them going after a Justin Schultz but sounds like they want somebody right now to replace spurgeon and Kraken might not be sellers yet so maybe they go after Lyubushkin of ANA or Barrie of NSH but intra divisional trades are hard.

I’d say they should weponize Spurgeon’s cap space for picks and ride this season out.
Maybe include Merril as part of a trade to take someone else’s cap hit?

Play Mermis and Hunt for the remainder of the season.  

• Like 1