Todd McLellan fired in LA

McLellan Relieved of Coaching Duties, Hiller Named Interim Head Coach

Generic_CHANGE_16x9

ByLA Kings
@LAKings LAKings.com

The LA Kings have relieved Todd McLellan of his duties and named Jim Hiller interim head coach for the remainder of the season, according to Vice President and General Manager Rob Blake.

“We want to thank Todd for his hard work and dedication to the organization,” said Blake. “He has done a tremendous job in moving us forward and making a positive impact on our group and in our community. This was not an easy decision, but we felt the change was necessary at this time.

Jim is a well-respected member of our staff who is familiar with our players. We are confident in his ability to lead our team effectively during this pivotal time.”

Hiller, 54, joined the Kings on July 19, 2022 and has spent the last two seasons (2022-24) as an assistant coach.

He served in the same capacity over the previous eight seasons with the New York Islanders (2019-22), Toronto Maple Leafs (2015-19) and Detroit Red Wings (2014-15). Prior to his NHL coaching debut, Hiller spent 12 seasons in the Western Hockey League (WHL) and British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL), including his last five years as head coach with the Tri-City Americans.

The native of Port Alberni, British Columbia, was originally selected by the Kings in the 10th round (207th overall) of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft.

• Good Post 1

Kings fire McLellan, name Hiller interim head coach

Todd McLellan Los Angeles Kings - The Canadian Press

TSN.ca Staff
Published 

The Los Angeles Kings have relieved Todd McLellan of his duties and named Jim Hiller as interim head coach for the remainder of the season. 

The move comes as the Kings went 3-7-5 in the month of January and have dropped to the first wild-card spot in the Western Conference. 

Earlier in the season, Los Angeles won 11 consecutive games on the road to open the 2023-24 campaign, an NHL record.  

This was McLellan’s fifth season with the Kings. He led them to the playoffs the previous two seasons but lost in the first round both times to the Edmonton Oilers

Last season, he led the team to a 47-25-10 record.

McLellan got his first NHL head-coaching gig in 2008-09 when he was hired behind the bench in San Jose. In seven years with the Sharks, McLellan went 311-163-66 in 540 games and led them to six playoff appearances with a 30-32 record in the postseason. 

After he and the Sharks mutually agreed to part ways following the 2014-15 season, McLellan was hired as the new head coach of the Edmonton Oilers. In his second season in Edmonton, he led the team to its first playoff appearance in 11 seasons in 2017, as they made it to the second round before losing to the Anaheim Ducks. He was fired by the Oilers in November 2018 and was replaced by Ken Hitchcock. 

McLellan previously spent three seasons (2005-08) with the Detroit Red Wings as an assistant coach under Mike Babcock, winning the Stanley Cup in 2008. 

“We want to thank Todd for his hard work and dedication to the organization,” said Kings general manager Rob Blake. “He has done a tremendous job in moving us forward and making a positive impact on our group and in our community. This was not an easy decision, but we felt the change was necessary at this time. Jim is a well-respected member of our staff who is familiar with our players. We are confident in his ability to lead our team effectively during this pivotal time.”

Hiller joined the Kings on July 19, 2022 and has spent the last two seasons (2022-24) as an assistant coach. The 54-year-old was also an assistant with the New York Islanders (2019-22), Toronto Maple Leafs (2015-19) and Detroit Red Wings (2014-15). 

• Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

The kings started out solid despite PLD...

In a league where the average goalie has an .899 SV%, Cam Talbot's was .928 for the first two months, and he's going to be 37 this summer. When he came down to Earth, the Kings were going to as well.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Hated signing Talbot, just too damn old. Copley was a one year fluke nothing more. Now they are relying on Ritrich? Eeech. 

I like the team flaws and all. Still believe they turn it around and should make the playoffs but man they need a goalie. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I like the team flaws and all. Still believe they turn it around and should make the playoffs but man they need a goalie

Let's call them "Putting on the Royal."

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I think they're a good team, but reallllly think that Adam Foote did long term harm to the middle of the roster with the Pierre-Luc Dubois trade and sign. I thought and think that it was indescribably bad. When Montreal backs out of a bidding war for a Quebec-born player, you know you've gone too far.

In the end the Kings were bidding against themselves. Montreal was out, it took another week and rumors getting bigger and bigger and for once the rumors were true. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I think they're a good team, but reallllly think that Adam Foote did long term harm to the middle of the roster with the Pierre-Luc Dubois trade and sign. I thought and think that it was indescribably bad. When Montreal backs out of a bidding war for a Quebec-born player, you know you've gone too far.

Incredibly, everyone KNEW PLD sucked...except the Kings. GM's have been fired for less. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Incredibly, everyone KNEW PLD sucked...except the Kings. GM's have been fired for less. 

I'm actually stunned he's not a Flyer right now. Someone was actually dumber than Chuckles 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jammer2 said:

He's been a 60 point second line center. That's not "sucked."

The point is that he's not a difference maker. The Kings paid for and paid him like he's a difference maker.

Those sorts of deals can be an anchor for years. See: Voracek, Jake.

The point that MONTREAL dropped out of the bidding is truly telling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, radoran said:

He's been a 60 point second line center. That's not "sucked."

The point is that he's not a difference maker. The Kings paid for and paid him like he's a difference maker.

Those sorts of deals can be an anchor for years. See: Voracek, Jake.

The point that MONTREAL dropped out of the bidding is truly telling.

OK...sucked may have been a tad off, but overrated, that is dead on. Plus, everyone "knew" he was not worth that kind of term or cap hit. The guy is flat out uninspiring. 

• Like 3

On 2/3/2024 at 5:15 PM, JR Ewing said:

Dubois floating that shift in Columbus to get benched and chuckle at Torts told me a lot about him

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Dubois floating that shift in Columbus to get benched and chuckle at Torts told me a lot about him

In fairness, Torts' approach only works/works best with certain types of players.

Which is why they brought in *checks notes* Patrik Laine.

So, anyway, Torts is in Philadelphia now...

:hocky:

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

The guy is flat out uninspiring. 

That's what I said.

He's not a difference maker.

It's wingers and centers, but I'll take Tippett at $6M per before PLD at $8M and it's not even remotely close.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

For a bit of fun, a comparison:

Pierre Luc-Dubois

78 GP, 15-24-39, -10

Cap Hit – $8.5M

Cost of Acquisition: traded for Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari, and Gabriel Vilardi

Warren Foegele:

77 GP, 17-20-37, +1

Cap Hit: $2.75M

Cost of Acquisition: traded for Ethan Bear

This trade-and-sign is the gift that keeps giving.

• Like 1