Game 60: Tampa Bay Lightning at Philadelphia Flyers; 2/27/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP, ESPN+

10 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

TB is going to play for 9 minutes with no goalie and we won't score. 

This game is far from over… Cooper’s no fool he knows the Flyers suck in these 6-on-5s.

ah there we go Cates gets the Stamkos goal back. Glad to see Cates get a goal he’s been playing some good hockey lately.

Ditto for York. From the far corner…

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

They’ve been good for awhile now…a solid 3rd line, they play the same way every shift, good forechecking lots of energy…

nice to see Tortorella’s giving them PP time at the end here…with Deslauriers and Zamula! 

edit: heckuva 3rd period from the Flyers… I sure didn’t see this coming was expecting the opposite. .. Flyers beat TB at home 6-2 - all started with The Return of Bobby Brink! 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They’ve been good for awhile now…a solid 3rd line, they play the same way every shift, good forechecking lots of energy…

nice to see Tortorella’s giving them PP time at the end here…with Deslauriers and Zamula! 

Well this gives you a look at a lineup without TK.

Coots only playing less than 11 minutes.

Sup with that is he dinged up?

Wow, they've slain a big dragon. My.Center Ice feed was on and off. But it looks like the team was sharp. After a lousy weekend, this is good. Walker is increasing his trade value.

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Walker is increasing his trade value.

For sure, Seeler too and maybe most of all Scott Laughton. I guess his 7-game point streak ended tonight but regardless he’s sure to attract some offers… hopefully Briere likes what he hears…

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Wow, they've slain a big dragon. My.Center Ice feed was on and off. But it looks like the team was sharp. After a lousy weekend, this is good. Walker is increasing his trade value.

Gosh if you told me i would have to resign Seeler and Walker but it would mean they'd move Risto and Atkinson instead

i might sign off on that...

• Like 2

I find it funny as hell the one big thing the Flyers could use besides another goal scorer is a goalie...

...you look around the NHL and Flyers have goalies scattered all over the East Conference Bob and Stollie in Florida and Alex Lyon in Detroit.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Well, as I've said before, over 82 games you'll lose some you expect to win, and vice versa.  I thought this was a sure loss.  The law of averages begins to take hold. We were due.

Occ raises a good point on goaltending.  I'm happy Sam is panning out.  That said, I wonder about any of our Russian prospects ever showing on North American soil.  

The PHLY gang did a short piece on this yesterday. I concurred with their assessment.  If we're rebuilding, you don't squander draft picks or prospects on fixing a short-term need. BTW, they went over the UFAs in goal this summer.  It is oldie and not-so-goodie.  I think the question becomes whether they use a buyout on Petersen?  

On to Washington for the proverbial four-pointer.  I'll be curious to see how the bookies call that one.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I find it funny as hell the one big thing the Flyers could use besides another goal scorer is a goalie...

...you look around the NHL and Flyers have goalies scattered all over the East Conference Bob and Stollie in Florida and Alex Lyon in Detroit.

Lyon, Stollie and Mzarek sucked in Philly bit somehow turn out decent playing elsewhere. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well we did have Hart and Errsson and for the most part even I couldn’t complain about that tandem. BUT mgmt had to have known something was coming down the pipe for Hart and they had to have known there was a strong possibility we’d lose our franchise goalie for the season if not career. I’m sure Petersen is a nice guy but so was Alex Lyon and he stunk when he played up top. Plays fine against us tho but that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone here. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

It is oldie and not-so-goodie.  I think the question becomes whether they use a buyout on Petersen? 

I would continue to bury him in the A. 

As the Russian goalies come over...just continue to Milton him into the basement and take his swingline stapler.

No one would claim him off waivers.

I'd keep the buyout for Atkinson maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

Well we did have Hart and Errsson and for the most part even I couldn’t complain about that tandem. BUT mgmt had to have known something was coming down the pipe for Hart and they had to have known there was a strong possibility we’d lose our franchise goalie for the season if not career. I’m sure Petersen is a nice guy but so was Alex Lyon and he stunk when he played up top. Plays fine against us tho but that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone here. 

Oh for sure and they knew all the way back when they brought in Cam Talbot I think to help work with the kid.

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The Flyers don’t need to sweat the backup position until after the season.

Depends on if they really want to compete in these playoffs they are pushing to make.

I mean if you get there and eff up a draft pick it would be good to see this team at least push the 1st round to 7 games and then exiting vs getting swept...being swept could mentally crush some of these kids.

you have to crack some eggs to make an omelets?

Good win for your Flyers guys.

Of course, I would have liked my Bolts to not only win, but show they still have Cup chops left in them, but my team, even as talented as they are still are, are missing ingredients it looks like.
But that doesn't take away from the heart the Flyers showed not only this game, but in most games I've watched them play this season.

And I expect nothing less from a Tortorella coached team.

If the Flyers make the playoffs, I will root FOR them against whomever a division leader is (if they are a WC), or against either Carolina or the NY Rangers if Philly finishes 3rd in the Metro.

Some good work being done in that front office so far too.
Interesting to see what will Briere and his administration do over the Summer to increase long term competitiveness from the group.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Depends on if they really want to compete in these playoffs they are pushing to make.

I mean if you get there and eff up a draft pick it would be good to see this team at least push the 1st round to 7 games and then exiting vs getting swept...being swept could mentally crush some of these kids.

you have to crack some eggs to make an omelets?

I just don’t think Briere is pushing to make the POs. I’d be very surprised to see him trade for a backup before the season’s over.

What you wrote about getting swept, that would def suck but I doubt it’ll happen no matter who they face. If it does I still think the experience will be useful for the guys that’ll be sticking around.

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I’d be very surprised to see him trade for a backup before the season’s over.

He doesn't have to in my eyes he can go down swinging with Sam and Felix i would be fine with that.

I didn't want to go down with Peterson. I have always wanted Felix to turn into a good goalie for them.

Now i can accept that hey he just wasn't good enough now if they just give him his chance to play.

They need to send the right message and that is we believe in the guys we selected always give the kids a chance on the big screen before being written off.

I just believe it is hard to judge kids down there because you have so many going off script free lancing trying anything to get noticed hard to judge kids playing within the scheme.

It is why i wanted Attard and Ginning to get a shot too before they ride off into the sunset. It's just a rebuild and they should be looking within too before looking and just other teams guys.

My 2 cents on it let the chips fall where they may...

50 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I just don’t think Briere is pushing to make the POs. I’d be very surprised to see him trade for a backup before the season’s over.

Felix is here ready for duty.

:PopcornSmiley2:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Felix is here ready for duty.

Good for Sandstrom…maybe even good for the Flyers. I doubt Sandstrom is the Flyers’ backup next year but you’re right, might as well give him another look now. Petersen is toast.

After the Pittsburgh game maybe some feel Petersen is getting a raw deal but he already showed who he was in LA. Even the few times I saw him it was pretty clear he’s not an NHL-caliber goaltender.

God only knows what the Flyers do with him and his $5mil cap hit now…and next year. I don’t know if there’s any option for cap relief short of buying him out. Considering his contract ends after next season maybe that’s the best move. Unless some team needs to make the cap floor…?

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1