Game 75: Chicago Blackhawks at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/30/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hanafin is going to be really expensive. I think we might be looking at the flyers targeting a guy like Brett Pesce instead. The Flyers desperately need to find a way out of the Ristolainen deal though. That's an albatross anchor deal.

I like him as a player if the Canes let him walk but he is a right hand shot and it would suck to have two righties together.

They said they may bring Walker back not sure about that especially with age and term.

8 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hanafin is going to be really expensive. I think we might be looking at the flyers targeting a guy like Brett Pesce instead. The Flyers desperately need to find a way out of the Ristolainen deal though. That's an albatross anchor deal.

Now for a physical guy Zadorov (he's only 28) might just be the guy to pair with him.

But price tag could change that.

We'll see...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Now for a physical guy Zadorov might just be the guy to pair with him.

But price tag could change that.

I like Zadorov. Was a big fan of him in London. I never understood why no NHL club wouldn't use him in an offensive role because he had the chops as well. Dude had a great outlet pass and a rocket of a shot from the point. If he wants 3 to 3.5 a year, I'd hope the Flyers would be all over it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I like Zadorov. Was a big fan of him in London. I never understood why no NHL club wouldn't use him in an offensive role because he had the chops as well. Dude had a great outlet pass and a rocket of a shot from the point. If he wants 3 to 3.5 a year, I'd hope the Flyers would be all over it. 

He's coming off a 3.7 mill per deal might cost about 4.5 mill at least

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I also think that they're probably going to move on from Gaudreau and Laine, so they'll have more picks coming back. 

Gaudreaus salary is almost 10 mil for 5 more years...he's going to cost picks to dump him. Thank Christ Fletcher didn't have his way with that one. 

Laine is at 8.7, and again, not earning it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Gaudreaus salary is almost 10 mil for 5 more years...he's going to cost picks to dump him. Thank Christ Fletcher didn't have his way with that one. 

Laine is at 8.7, and again, not earning it. 

Someone will pick them up. Columbus will eat salary in any deal, but they'll get picks back.

All this FA talk is what got the Flyers to where they are today. The shiny toy team build. The hire alumni guys who do as they're told build. The draft middle to late in round 1 build. The trade for broken old guys with term build. I seriously have very little optimism about this team going forward. I will have to see a 180 degree pivot at the draft and free agency this summer to change my mind. This season of culture building has done nothing but set the rebuild back another 2 or 3 years. I would love to be hopeful and excited, I just don't see a reason for it. The 2 top prospects are gone and 2 years away. Hard to get excited.

Getting whacked at home by the bottom feeder and the coach who built the culture saying it's my fault that we're tired is a sad state of affairs.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

We can sign all the dmen we want, we are going nowhere with Laughton or Poehling as the second line center. Frost is a second liner, we need a real first line center and then Poehling is perfect as third line center  Laughton can be traded and Coots can be fourth or switch with Poehling depending if Coots bounces back next year.  His days as a top two center are over.  

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We can sign all the dmen we want, we are going nowhere with Laughton or Poehling as the second line center. Frost is a second liner, we need a real first line center and then Poehling is perfect as third line center  Laughton can be traded and Coots can be fourth or switch with Poehling depending if Coots bounces back next year.  His days as a top two center are over.  

Laughton and Poehling are being used in those roles because they're the coach's pets. Let's be honest about that. Tortorella loves the try hard guys. In fairness, Poehling should be back as the 4th center and Laughton should be used exclusively on the left wing of Poehling on the fourth line. 

I'm all for an elite checking line. If that line can win critical faceoffs, score between 35 and 40 goals a year and play exclusively on the penalty kill, that would be ideal. 

In terms of a legit number one center, nobody is trading those and if they do, it's costing you a fortune in terms of picks, players and cap space. The Flyers are going to have to draft a center.  The question is, will they have the patience to let them develop? 

So yeah, I think it's best to get the defense straightened out first because that elusive center is going to be incredibly hard to find, unless the Flyers decide to give Michkov the Giroux treatment and play him at center. Even then, I certainly wouldn't mind a Boisvert/Hage prospect in the pipeline.

4 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

All this FA talk is what got the Flyers to where they are today. The shiny toy team build. The hire alumni guys who do as they're told build. The draft middle to late in round 1 build. The trade for broken old guys with term build. I seriously have very little optimism about this team going forward. I will have to see a 180 degree pivot at the draft and free agency this summer to change my mind. This season of culture building has done nothing but set the rebuild back another 2 or 3 years. I would love to be hopeful and excited, I just don't see a reason for it. The 2 top prospects are gone and 2 years away. Hard to get excited.

Getting whacked at home by the bottom feeder and the coach who built the culture saying it's my fault that we're tired is a sad state of affairs.

Grabbing a guy like Zadorov or Pesce isn't about building around them. They're complimentary pieces to what's already in place. Adding players of that caliber also means you aren't having to rush the Andraes, the Bonks, the Sotherans, etc....

I want those guys to be successful and I want them developed properly. Now, it would also help if there was a coach in Lehigh Valley that knew how to develop players, but that's another argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Laughton and Poehling are being used in those roles because they're the coach's pets. Let's be honest about that. Tortorella loves the try hard guys. In fairness, Poehling should be back as the 4th center and Laughton should be used exclusively on the left wing of Poehling on the fourth line. 

I'm all for an elite checking line. If that line can win critical faceoffs, score between 35 and 40 goals a year and play exclusively on the penalty kill, that would be ideal. 

In terms of a legit number one center, nobody is trading those and if they do, it's costing you a fortune in terms of picks, players and cap space. The Flyers are going to have to draft a center.  The question is, will they have the patience to let them develop? 

So yeah, I think it's best to get the defense straightened out first because that elusive center is going to be incredibly hard to find, unless the Flyers decide to give Michkov the Giroux treatment and play him at center. Even then, I certainly wouldn't mind a Boisvert/Hage prospect in the pipeline.

We  definitely are going to have to draft a center,  and in order not draft another Poehling or Laughton we  can’t be picking 18-25. We are gonna have to trade up in the draft plain and simple, we are  already loaded at right wing and Michkov is also a right wing, sooner or later a right wing has to go. So you have to deal from a position of strength to shore up  a weakness. The only way we move into a high enough position  to get a center is via a trade. Unless we move two 2024 first round picks and one of our 2025 picks to acquire a top 5 pick.

The reason Poehling and Laughton are being used in their roles is not that they are Torts’ pets, it’s because other than Frost we have no skilled centers, Poehling is big with speed and Laughton is quick but neither are offensive dynamos. Coots is skating like Brad Marsh, he is out of gas and possibly washed up. We really have no other options at center right now.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Grabbing a guy like Zadorov or Pesce isn't about building around them. They're complimentary pieces to what's already in place. 

The problem is all the defensemen we currently have are also complementary pieces, we do not have a legit #1 offensive dman and we don’t have a legit shutdown defender either . Adding more complementary guys isn’t the answer. For example the Rangers have a perfect duo , Fox is the two way guy with high end offensive skill and Trouba is the physical shutdown guy.  That’s the way you build a top pair, one big shutdown guy with and offensive guy. Two small non physical guys like Drysdale and York are not ideal for a top pair. Our top two needs are a #1 center and a legit top pair on defense. Maybe York becomes a Desjardins type guy for us and Bonk looks to be very skilled but he’s not ready. We still need a stalwart defender with size and skill and some snarl also.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 8:16 PM, flyerrod said:

This is the perfect situation to give Fedotov some ice time. No pressure and a chance to see NHL speed.

Agree. They should give a chance to Fedotov at least to play a half of that game to evaluate his readiness. Missed opportunity. Islanders(77 points) is a better team than Blackhawks (49 points). Anyway, I am really intriguing to see Fedotov's play.

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Agree. They should give a chance to Fedotov at least to play a half of that game to evaluate his readiness. Missed opportunity. Islanders(77 points) is a better team than Blackhawks (49 points). Anyway, I am really intriguing to see Fedotov's play.

Yes they should and he is 27 and not a kid so he is more than ready after playing in a pro league the last several years.

He has 133 games for these numbers:

61-55-8 921% 2.06 gaa 10 shutouts

He'll be fine.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:44 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The horse would make an awesome tattoo!!!

tattoo also gives a great visual representation over time of how many Fu&kS one has to give as they get older 😆

• Haha 1