Game 75: Chicago Blackhawks at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/30/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

The O and B are heavily favored (-244):

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/chicago-philadelphia-odds-march-30-2024-2020589

Given our performance in Montreal, that scares me--I think we play better as the underdog.

The Blackhawks are offensively and defensively challenged, and their PP is almost as bad as ours:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/chi-vs-phi/2024/03/30/2023021173

We beat them in February, 3-1, in Chicago.  Historically, this has been a very home-based series, particularly for the Flyers:

https://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Chicago_Blackhawks

Let's hope for urgency on the O and B's part.  And maybe, just maybe, we score on a power play.  

39 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The O and B are heavily favored

Is this the Kiss of Death for the Flyers? Probably not. Last night wasn't about being favored it was being unprepared (or unwilling) to give100% effort the way they usually do. And Primeau played really well.

41 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

And maybe, just maybe, we score on a power play.  

Yeah the Flyers' PP is the real Kiss of Death. They don't give up a ton of shorties but that's about the only good thing you can say about it.

I'd love to see Foerster (19 goals) get a HT, pass Bedard (21) and Rossi (20) for rookie goal-scoring.

40 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Is this the Kiss of Death for the Flyers? Probably not. Last night wasn't about being favored it was being unprepared (or unwilling) to give100% effort the way they usually do. And Primeau played really well.

Yeah the Flyers' PP is the real Kiss of Death. They don't give up a ton of shorties but that's about the only good thing you can say about it.

I'd love to see Foerster (19 goals) get a HT, pass Bedard (21) and Rossi (20) for rookie goal-scoring.

I caught the last half last night.  They woke up in the last 10-15 mins, and it was too late.  As for the PP--I guess next season is repair time.  I have a feeling it is beyond repair this season.  Foerster is waking up.  We will have fun watching him in coming years.  On the other hand--Atkinson is a spent force, and two of the YouTube "content creators" were commenting on Coots' looking tired.  Yeah...nearly eight million for a fourth line center....yeah, baby!

the loss in Montreal could be seen coming for months.

Our guys are banged up. They put out extremely high effort for most of this month. There was a game every 2 days this month. (kinda like the playoffs)

That loss to the Rangers, they emptied the tank-so...

A stinker was bound to happen.

They looked gassed in the limited viewing I had during the Habs fiasco. 

Maybe a guy draws back into the lineup, maybe one of these Russian goalies can spell Ersson for a minute.

I'm on the record of liking Samuel, but he's shown he isn't ready to be the man yet. 

Edit: That doesn't mean I don't think he's #1 material, I think right now he's better suited in a 1a/1b type scenario.

I don't think he prepared to be the starter for this year.  I'll bet he was pretty stoked he was going to be Carter Hart's backup. 

Add to this, the Argo-type smuggling of Ivan Feditov from Russia and the demotion of Felix Sandstrom, maybe the Flyers have just created that 1a/1b scenario

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

the loss in Montreal could be seen coming for months.

Our guys are banged up. They put out extremely high effort for most of this month. There was a game every 2 days this month. (kinda like the playoffs)

That loss to the Rangers, they emptied the tank-so...

A stinker was bound to happen.

They looked gassed in the limited viewing I had during the Habs fiasco. 

Maybe a guy draws back into the lineup, maybe one of these Russian goalies can spell Ersson for a minute.

I'm on the record of liking Samuel, but he's shown he isn't ready to be the man yet. 

I wonder if we get close to a 2010 like scenario like with the Rangers win and you're in type with the Capitals the last game of the season?

That would be crazy for real.

It would be crazy way to end a season I say that because they have a 1 point lead as of now but Caps have 2 games in hand with 8 games left so it could come down to the wire every win will be huge these last game I need to look at the number to figure out what the magic number is to get in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

YouTube "content creators" were commenting on Coots' looking tired.  Yeah...nearly eight million for a fourth line center....yeah, baby!

eh, I don't think Couturier's washed up yet.

I do think he's worn down.

I do think his body wasn't prepared for a Tortorella team 82 game season after missing nearly 2 years.

I think we will see more of "first half of 23/24 season" Couturier next year.

Now he knows he can do it, and what he needs to do to be better. 

Those youtubers can f- all the way off. 

Edited by mojo1917

"To be guaranteed 8th seed they would have to win every game from here aha."

Pardon me I'm twitter-illiterate does the "aha" at the end mean this a joke? I can't believe the Flyers need to win out just to get the 8 seed.

Or maybe he's saying if the Caps and the Wings both win all their remaining games the Flyers need to do the same, and if they do they get the 8 seed?

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think we will see more of "first half of 23/24 season" Couturier next year.

Now he knows he can do it, and what he needs to do to be better. 

But can he do better? Will his body cooperate? I think you're right to say Couturier's not "washed up" but for me it's more of a hope than a conviction. After a grueling camp then 70+ NHL games under Tortorella his body may be telling him "stop!" He could be washed up.

If he finishes his career the way he started, a solid 2-way 3C who occasionally skates against top lines, kills penalties, wins important draws - the Flyers will get their money's worth out of Couturier - or maybe "break even" we can say.

Nothing but a miracle resurgence will ever justify his contract. If the Flyers get 18mins a night out of him as a defensive forward that's probably the best we can hope. But that's not a given and won't be a cake walk for Couturier. There's already guys on the roster better suited for 3C. Poehling and Cates are both better skaters and are not far behind Couturier defensively. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Good Post 1

22 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

the Argo-type smuggling of Ivan Feditov from Russia

Huh? I haven't heard this anywhere.

His contract was terminated and he came over. He was 35th in save percentage in a 33 team league. I'm sure the Flyers may have paid something but it's not like he's highly coveted. His size will certainly help, but I'll assume it'll take him some time to get used to the NHL game.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Huh? I haven't heard this anywhere.

His contract was terminated and he came over. He was 35th in save percentage in a 33 team league. I'm sure the Flyers may have paid something but it's not like he's highly coveted. His size will certainly help, but I'll assume it'll take him some time to get used to the NHL game.

The team kept the Feditov move really quiet until he was here.

That's all I meant.

Wednesday's news  Feditov self terminates his Moscow contract. 

Friday morning,  here's Ivan sitting next to Danny.

It was unexpected and rapid.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Zamula-Ginning

Like it. Ginning deserves to be in over Attard in my opinion. 

Hope to see the Flyers out the gate quick tonight and pot a couple of goals early. 

45 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Hope to see the Flyers out the gate quick tonight and pot a couple of goals early. 

well so much for a fast start…

Lather, Rinse,Repeat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Zamula-Ginning

Like it. Ginning deserves to be in over Attard in my opinion. 

You are right ,Ginning has been better defensivel. Attard takes a lot of chances in the offensive zone, I don’t think he has been burned in doing so but Torts probably prefers a defensive type.

• Like 1

Flyers on track to get zero points against two non-playoff teams. 

When they shoot, it’s now high and wide. Rocky Thompson should have been fired last year for the PP, it’s beyond comical at this point. 

Well done boys

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Bring in Fedovov. I really wonder if they should be favorites!  

Just save him for next game vs Sorokin should make for an interesting story line.

Flyers just have all their skill mostly on one line. Only really 2 centers really.