Game 78: Philadelphia Flyers at Columbus Blue Jackets; 4/6/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

Much to my surprise, the Flyers are favored (-148)

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/4-6-2024/philadelphia-flyers-vs-columbus-blue-jackets-prediction-746/

The teams aren't that different statistically, though the Flyers D is better:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cbj-vs-phi/2024/04/06/2023021222

What's left in the tank?  Will Ersson hold down the fort?  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Will Ersson hold down the fort?  

something tells me he's going to be real good tomorrow night. Seeing Fedotov struggle a bit...in a weird way may have helped Ersson. Or else I'm crazy. Or both!

21 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

something tells me he's going to be real good tomorrow night. Seeing Fedotov struggle a bit...in a weird way may have helped Ersson. Or else I'm crazy. Or both!

No shame in a little craziness. 

We tried hard. But skill and being in the right time and place matter. As for The Dude, the smaller rink and faster pace may take some adjustment. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

As for The Dude, the smaller rink and faster pace may take some adjustment. 

Indeed. Also shooters as big and heavy as Tage Thompson bearing down on him. It was great he made that first save the other night on Barzal’s breakaway but Barzal is 6’0” 190. TT is like 6’7” 220 I think. I don’t know much about KHL players but I doubt The Fed faced many 6’7” guys. 

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

As for The Dude, the smaller rink and faster pace may take some adjustment. 

He was the 30th ranked goalie in a 23 team lesser league. Basically, he should be Erssons backup, who should actually be a backup

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

He was the 30th ranked goalie in a 23 team lesser league. Basically, he should be Erssons backup, who should actually be a backup

What do you mean?  He isn’t the second coming of Bernie Parent?!? 😂  

He is a large human with a feel good story to finally get out of Russia.  Sure, he made a nice save on Barzal a couple games ago but I’ve seen beer league goalies do that, too.  I get a little nervous when I see the other team get a good scoring opportunity.

I’m with you.  He hasn’t impressed me 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

What do you mean?  He isn’t the second coming of Bernie Parent?!? 😂  

He is a large human with a feel good story to finally get out of Russia.  Sure, he made a nice save on Barzal a couple games ago but I’ve seen beer league goalies do that, too.  I get a little nervous when I see the other team get a good scoring opportunity.

I’m with you.  He hasn’t impressed me 

And more likely the main reason the Flyers weren't picking a fight with Russia over "that dude" they'd rather save it in case they have to for Michkov later.

Kolosov is the gem. And he should be given time to develop not rushed because they need a goalie.

At seasons end they should push hard to bring Stollie back him being closer to home I hope makes it a easy decision.

Fingers crossed.

• Uggh... 1

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

bring Stollie back

Look, I'm glad he's doing well on another team, but we REALLY need to stop coveting players we used to have. Stollie on the Flyers would just be Stollie on the Flyers.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Look, I'm glad he's doing well on another team, but we REALLY need to stop coveting players we used to have. Stollie on the Flyers would just be Stollie on the Flyers.

It's not just because he is a former Flyers stop being jaded by that.

Look beyond that.

They need a goalie for next year to tandem with Ersson.

Stroller is leading the NHL in gaa with 2.12

922% in 22 games is 14-7.

What is wrong with the resume you don't like?

He should be cheap is only 30 and is a good plan.

Who would you want in the crease next year with Ersson then?

I'm all ears sir.

Edited by OccamsRazor

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's not just because he is a former Flyers stop being jaded by that.

Look beyond that.

They need a goalie for next year to tandem with Ersson.

Stroller is leading the NHL in gaa with 2.12

922% in 22 games is 14-7.

What is wrong with the resume you don't like?

He should be cheap is only 30 and is a good plan.

I'm all ears sir.

If he came cheap, fine. But for one thing, I'd think he's going to want to get paid. Most do. And for another, as I said, Stolarz on the Flyers and Stolarz on Florida are two different things. 

We do need a goalie though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If he came cheap, fine. But for one thing, I'd think he's going to want to get paid. Most do. And for another, as I said, Stolarz on the Flyers and Stolarz on Florida are two different things. 

We do need a goalie though.

We'll see. Backups are worth paying for.

Up to a certain amount.

He isn't getting a starting gig in the NHL now.

Being able to be close to home should be huge for him I am hoping and he loved his time in Philly and sure I am banking on that.

No one is saying back the Brinks truck up for him.

We'll see.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No one is saying back the Brinks truck up for him.

The Flyers need to save the Brinks truck to resign Staal and Johnson! :NinjaLookLeftRight1:
#VeteranPresence

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

Still watching tonight’s game with the hope of seeing Staal or Johnson in the press box. It does not matter how well you play positionally if you can’t even keep pace with the slowest forwards. You will be out worked and do nothing but saddle the rest of the defensive pairings with more minutes than they are already playing (Sandhiem should/is not be a 30 minute a night guy).

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I've been singing Ersson's praises all year but I have to admit he's looking less and less like a starting NHL goalie. I'm not anywhere close to giving up hope - he is a rookie after all, even if he is a bit older than your average rookie. I love his movement, his focus and calm demeanor in net. But ... well you already know, in fact I think you're the one who hipped me to his struggles last year in the Calder Cup.

fkn Hart (no pun intended). So yeah, the Flyers may be basically starting all over with goaltending...building from the net out as they say.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

It does not matter how well you play positionally if you can’t even keep pace with the slowest forwards. You will be out worked and do nothing but saddle the rest of the defensive pairings with more minutes than they are already playing

Ya, but what about Rathje and Hatcher? They worked out so well for us. 

Oh, wait, no they didn't. 

Well at least they learned not to do THAT again.

Oh wait, no they didn't. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I've been singing Ersson's praises all year but I have to admit he's looking less and less like a starting NHL goalie. I'm not anywhere close to giving up hope - he is a rookie after all, even if he is a bit older than your average rookie. I love his movement, his focus and calm demeanor in net. But ... well you already know, in fact I think you're the one who hipped me to his struggles last year in the Calder Cup.

fkn Hart (no pun intended). So yeah, the Flyers may be basically starting all over with goaltending...building from the net out as they say.

He is tied with 2 other starting goalies who have the most starts since think January 1st with 27 and the other 2 guys were established starters so he is worn down.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, but what about Rathje and Hatcher? They worked out so well for us. 

Oh, wait, no they didn't. 

Well at least they learned not to do THAT again.

Oh wait, no they didn't. 

Talk about an ugly but extremely apt comparison. I would be happier if they both took the Rathje/Ellis route.

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And of all teams to choke a playoffs spot to wow when you thought it couldn't get worse...

I F**King hate the Penguins!!!

@CoachX

🤬

Flyers is typical losing streak before playoff but this is one will take them out for good. They are done. Losing this game that is to see you next October !!! 

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Torts finally decides to scratch the AARP D-men and put Attard and Ginning in tonight! 

Glad to see the geriatric gang off the ice but no life in the Flyers as a whole so far. Down 3-0 and watching Laughton get bitch slapped and no response in front of the net…..he was only giving up about 50 lbs but still…

5 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

no life in the Flyers as a whole so far.

whaddya mean they're fighting for their PO lives can'tcha tell? Neither can I. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.... They sure put a few dents in the glass behind the net though I'll give them that.

oh wow Lyksell finally gets his 1st NHL goal hoo...ray.

edit: OMG I was just about to post "watch them give it right back..."  Unreal...

Edited by GratefulFlyers