Game 82: Washington Capitals at Philadelphia Flyers; 4/16/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Tij Iginla at 12 make it all feel better???

or Carter Yakemchuk

:joe:

Hopefully we end up with a center or defenceman. BPA always with your top pick, I just hope it's not yet another winger.

Edited by flyercanuck

44 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hopefully we end up with a center or defenceman. BPA always with your top pick, I just hope it's not yet another winger.

If it's a wing, someone is getting moved. I'm hopeful that one of Iginla, Helenius or Catton is the first choice and one of Beaudoin, Luchanko, Artamanov, Gridin or Elick is the second first round selection. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Hey, come on....Torts coached a non-playoff caliber team all the way to out of the playoffs!

Lmfao, this is the entire season in a nutshell.

Absolutely nothing accomplished other than getting the worst draft pick a team this bad should be getting.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Lmfao, this is the entire season in a nutshell.

Absolutely nothing accomplished other than getting the worst draft pick a team this bad should be getting.

^^^^What he said

• Annoyed 1

Does anyone know if the Flyers still finish below the Wild in the standings if the Wild lose their last game?   Hope so.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Does anyone know if the Flyers still finish below the Wild in the standings if the Wild lose their last game?   Hope so.

I think so...I think wins is the first tie breaker.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

or Carter Yakemchuk

Not really, I appreciate falling back into top 15 draft position. 

Realistically no team trades out of it's top pick especially if it's in the top 10. 

I don't anticipate much happening in the way of off-season intrigue. By that I mean The Danny Jonsey® being able to work some kind of miracle trade to move into the top 5.

I think unless Michkov can join the team, they will be worse next year. 

A lot of what I think will happen will depend on the Michkov timeline.

If the Flyers aren't saying anything about how they got Fedotov maybe that means they have those people working on the bigger fish. If Michkov is in play, then extending Konecny isn't the worst move.  But there are other threads to come for that nonsense. 

This isn't necessarily all directed to you OR, but this thread feels like a good place for an end of season impression.

The team is being rebuilt or at the very least made to be different, if people cannot see it I don't know what to say anymore. If people don't like the way the Danny Jonesy® are going about it, that's a different story but fine by me, there's no one right way to do it. I dont' like the way my mother-in-law makes lasagna either.

The roster has 5 players remaining from the Giroux era. That's 79% new faces since the bubble, that's real turnover.

I cheer for hockey and hockey teams, not draft picks and trade speculation, the season being over means the part I like least about following the team has begun. yay

If winning a championship is the only criteria used to gauge success then I reckon those who think that way should get used to feeling miserable. 

I was entertained by this hockey team this season. They were easy to like, they played hard. They got everything out of their ability, which was limited.

What's not to like about that effort?

The building is more full and more engaged than it has been in 6 years. 

The management has made big strides toward repairing the relationship with the fans, they aren't pissing on our legs and saying it's from the lawn sprinkler. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

or Carter Yakemchuk

HEY STAY AWAY FROM IGGY JR HE GOING TO WORK AT HIS DAD PLACE😡

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The building is more full and more engaged than it has been in 6 years. 

The management has made big strides toward repairing the relationship with the fans, they aren't pissing on our legs and saying it's from the lawn sprinkler. 

And they seem to care more about that then winning a Stanley Cup.  

With revenue sharing & the salary cap it's nearly impossible to build a real Cup contender without sacrificing enough to have top draft picks. 

If you're happy with a little hockey excitement.  So be it.  I want to see a Flyers captain lift the Stanley Cup.

1 minute ago, Fuzz said:

I want to see a Flyers captain lift the Stanley Cup.

I'd like to see that too, very much in fact. 

But I'll settle for being entertained.

to be clear. I don't think the work is done here, the team can be improved and I'd love to see it. 

I'm not delusional. 

I get zero enjoyment from watching a team get it's ass kicked with the "promise of better days ahead", did that with the Sixer and Orioles thanks. 

I get zero enjoyment from watching a team quit after a thing goes wrong, which happened far too frequently in the Giroux era. 

This season has been a near 180° turn from 2 seasons ago. 

That's not nothing, and I'm sure as **** not going to grouse and moan that a team with 3 good players isn't lifting the cup.

Those 23 guys played their asses off this year and I'm grateful to have watched that instead of season 2 of the San Jose experiment. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

From the reports i have seen they are saying Tij can play center and LW.

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong...

The news outlets are saying that Detroit would have made the playoffs if Philly didn't pull their goalie which allowed the Caps to win. 

This is not true. The Caps still could have won, including in OT or SO, and still eliminated the Redwings.

So why are the news outlets lying? For drama? 

RB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I'd like to see that too, very much in fact. 

But I'll settle for being entertained.

to be clear. I don't think the work is done here, the team can be improved and I'd love to see it. 

I'm not delusional. 

I get zero enjoyment from watching a team get it's ass kicked with the "promise of better days ahead", did that with the Sixer and Orioles thanks. 

I get zero enjoyment from watching a team quit after a thing goes wrong, which happened far too frequently in the Giroux era. 

This season has been a near 180° turn from 2 seasons ago. 

That's not nothing, and I'm sure as **** not going to grouse and moan that a team with 3 good players isn't lifting the cup.

Those 23 guys played their asses off this year and I'm grateful to have watched that instead of season 2 of the San Jose experiment. 

And all of that is fine. 

I would rather see a Cup championship.

It's nearly impossible to do both with the system that's now in place.  Nearly every team that has won a championship since the system change has sacrificed to do so. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

And all of that is fine. 

I would rather see a Cup championship.

It's nearly impossible to do both with the system that's now in place.  Nearly every team that has won a championship since the system change has sacrificed to do so. 

That's where I am. It was fun to see them battle the end of the regular season, to make a playoff spot. This team needs more young high end talent. I would add a Reinhart if he becomes available. That being said, I would rather them bottom out and get a lottery pick, so that they can be very good to great for 5 years or so. They need to build successfully with Top 5 in the draft, talent. They are still too concerned about $ and seat filling every year. Unfortunately, Flyers management and ownership going back to (RIP) Ed Snider, has let ego and pride... get in the way of a full rebuild. New Era Of Orange needs to mean "We'll do what it takes IN TODAY'S GAME, to follow the model of successful franchises that have won Cups in the past 20 years".

2 hours ago, RBGordie said:

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong...

The news outlets are saying that Detroit would have made the playoffs if Philly didn't pull their goalie which allowed the Caps to win. 

This is not true. The Caps still could have won, including in OT or SO, and still eliminated the Redwings.

So why are the news outlets lying? For drama? 

RB

I've been puzzled by this too.

The Flyers needed to win in regulation if they were to have any chance to make the playoffs. 

A tie was the same as a loss. They were playing for their own benefit, not the Wings or Pens 

Some of this kind of "reporting" comes from counting internet opinion sites as news outlets. I think.

I like to listen to the ALLCity network podcasts, because that's where a beat writer I have come to like participates. The other dudes on the podcast don't know any more about the sport than you or I do- but Charlie O'Connor gets interviews with players, coaches and "people who know stuff". So unless he's saying it, anything coming from that outlet shouldn't carry much weight. At least that's how i try to filter stories like the one you're mentioning.

It's the old "consider the source".

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think unless Michkov can join the team, they will be worse next year. 

A lot of what I think will happen will depend on the Michkov timeline.

If the Flyers aren't saying anything about how they got Fedotov maybe that means they have those people working on the bigger fish. If Michkov is in play, then extending Konecny isn't the worst move.  But there are other threads to come for that nonsense. 

They got Fedotov out because he sucked and he got cut by his team.

Michkov can't do it by himself.  I don't want another Lindros - a star player going to battle every game with half a team of pluggers.

They need to get assets now that have half a chance of being good when Michkov is in his prime.  Waiting 3 years to get Michkov help isn't going to work.

• Like 1