2024 Entry Level Draft - Confirmed Flyers pick at #12

13 hours ago, ctid said:

Thanks for the Yakemchuck insight. I dont have a way to see these kids play besides short youtube clips, so I'm over reliant on what is written about them and take that as gospel.

Totally agree regarding Helenius, he has all the tools to be the kind of player that coaches and fans love. A good 2C, Selke candidate type player, no fuss player, with consistent point production of 50-60 range maybe?

If we managed to get that 11th and Yakemchcuk is available, then I dont see how they pass on the forward/defense combo, with the forward being one of Catton/Helenius/Iginla if available.

But regardless if we get the 11th or not. This draft, if we "ignore" everyone after the top 13 with our 12th pick, then the Flyers really only have to make a choice between 2  players. It seems like the top three has been cemented in Celebrini, Demidov and Levshunov. But everything thereafter is up in the air. So unless someone outside the top 13 ranked players gets taken, then the choice most likely will be between the two players out of this group that falls past 11. Parekh, Buium, Dickinson, Yakemchuck, Iginla, Helenius, Catton, Silyaev, Lindstrom, Eisermann. Personally I think its more likely its two out of these that will be available to us Helenius, Yakemchuck and Eisermann. Catton, I fear will be gone earlier. 

I’d prefer Dickinson and then Yakemchuck over any of the forwards who might be available when we pick. We lack a skilled  physical dman, Drysdale, York and Andrae are all small and Sanheim isn’t physical and then you have Attard and Risto and Seeler who are bottom pair guys. So we need a big skilled dman for the top pair. I,don’t want a small center ,we already have Frost, we need a big center like Lindstrom but he will be long gone and I certainly don’t want the 160 lb winger,we already have Farabee and Brink who are small wingers .Helenius is exactly like a typical Flyer, plain vanilla. Solid but no standout attributes, we have enough of those type of players. I think Dickinson or Yakemchuck would be more of an impact player for us than any of the other guys.

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

I’d prefer Dickinson and then Yakemchuck over any of the forwards who might be available when we pick. We lack a skilled  physical dman, Drysdale, York and Andrae are all small and Sanheim isn’t physical and then you have Attard and Risto and Seeler who are bottom pair guys. So we need a big skilled dman for the top pair. I,don’t want a small center ,we already have Frost, we need a big center like Lindstrom but he will be long gone and I certainly don’t want the 160 lb winger,we already have Farabee and Brink who are small wingers .Helenius is exactly like a typical Flyer, plain vanilla. Solid but no standout attributes, we have enough of those type of players. I think Dickinson or Yakemchuck would be more of an impact player for us than any of the other guys.

I'd prefer Celebrini.

Dickinson will more than likely be long gone by the 12th pick. Of course if he somehow slides you grab him. I just see zero reasons for that to happen. As for what you said about the rest of it, that's what you get when you pick towards the middle of the pack. And it's likely what we're going to get more of. We should get a good player. I doubt we get a star.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd prefer Celebrini.

Dickinson will more than likely be long gone by the 12th pick. Of course if he somehow slides you grab him. I just see zero reasons for that to happen. As for what you said about the rest of it, that's what you get when you pick towards the middle of the pack. And it's likely what we're going to get more of. We should get a good player. I doubt we get a star.

I would love to trade up, the FLA pick is gonna be around 30 ,so it’s practically a second round pick. If we move the 12th and the FLA  pick maybe we can move up a few spots to grab one of the defenseman I mentioned if they are still around for the 8th or 9th pick. I would rather have one real good player than two Scott Laughtons.

Edited by RonJeremy

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I would love to trade up, the FLA pick is gonna be around 30 ,so it’s practically a second round pick. If we move the 12th and the FLA  pick maybe we can move up a few spots to grab one of the defenseman I mentioned if they are still around for the 8th or 9th pick. I would rather have one real good player than two Scott Laughtons.

I don't think Yakemchuk needs to be moved up for. He should be there when we pick. 

The stupidest thing is, we shouldn't have to trade up, if they did a proper rebuild. Strip it down, get a couple of very high picks, then work on building up. My hope is that whom ever we pick, out of sheer luck, becomes one of the best players in the draft. It's not a great plan though.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Interesting work done by the Athletic. Checklist for Stanley Cup contenders, based on previous teams over the years....geez we are far away.

Elite first-line center that’s among the very best players in the world.

• Elite first-line winger to support the elite center.

• Two other top-line wingers on each of the top two lines.

• Top-line center to play behind the elite center.

• Two more top-six forwards for depth in the middle six.

• Elite No. 1 defenseman.

• A second No. 1 defenseman to play behind him.

• A top-pairing defenseman to help anchor a strong second pair with the No. 2.

• Another top-pairing caliber defender to crush soft minutes on the third pair.

• A top-10 caliber starting goaltender

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think Yakemchuk needs to be moved up for. He should be there when we pick. 

The stupidest thing is, we shouldn't have to trade up, if they did a proper rebuild. Strip it down, get a couple of very high picks, then work on building up. My hope is that whom ever we pick, out of sheer luck, becomes one of the best players in the draft. It's not a great plan though.

I see hockey writers who rate Yakemchuck as a top 5, some mock drafts have us getting Dickinson others show Yakemchuck or Helinuis.  I just hope that one of the dmen fall to us and maybe we can get Michael Hage with our FLA pick. That way we get a potential top pair dman and a big center.

38 minutes ago, ctid said:

Interesting work done by the Athletic. Checklist for Stanley Cup contenders, based on previous teams over the years....geez we are far away.

We should have that within ten years.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, ctid said:

In a nutshell it is why many of us were wanting them to sell off all assets they coould ie. trade Laughton and Seeler for whatever the return was as well anyone else who didn’t fit the rebuild (TK) so this would help push them down into the top 5-10 draft spots. 

This would help them secure a better return because you can ask a team to realistically tank. But if you move guys out like the Black Hawks well it helps greatly towards this.

It is why i said going back the last 20 Cup winners (maybe further only went back that far) all had a #1 and/or #2 overall on the roster except the Blues.

The Blues did have a #3 and #4 overall though on the Cup winner though.

So basically if you ain't draft top 3 you ain't winning no Cup.

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

some mock drafts have us getting Dickinson

Not calling you a liar really but i haven't seen one that has him outside the top 8.

Where did you see him falling to the Flyers.

Dickinson in my mind would be the perfect partner for Drysdale.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not calling you a liar really but i haven't seen one that has him outside the top 8.

I googled NHL 2024 mock draft and found a lot of different ones but the one that shows Dickinson going to the Flyers is Sportsgrid.com. Of course we can’t really go by any of them, but Craig Button and Dreger are usually very close .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctid said:

Flyers management: We can trade for that. 

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd prefer Celebrini.

Sorry, he's spoken for. Getting the sharks to trade that pick won't happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

...or Bonk

Yes that would work.

I actually had Hunter McDonald penciled in alongside Drysdale.

The perfect physical stay at home type for him so he can activate and roam/pinch.

Happy to be wrong i can't see them getting Dickinson unless they move up.

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Sorry, he's spoken for. Getting the sharks to trade that pick won't happen.

Not even for Nic Seeler? (and a 2nd of course....it IS the Flyers! 😁)

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Not even for Nic Seeler? (and a 2nd of course....it IS the Flyers! 😁)

Well our 2nd pick is 14th, so I'll be in this thread chatting 7-16 level prospects with ya lol

I'm wondering if the Sharks can trade up to be honest. But 7-16 prospects all seem close so it's not worth trading up unless we go to 5 or 6.

Would probably cost 14th, 33rd and 42nd + Sturm or Ferraro to move up that high.

There are a decent amount of good defense prospects around 33 so I'd rather stay at 14 and 33 unless we can go for like Buium, Dickinson or silayev 

Our defense pool is pretty bare.

Celebrini and will Smith got that 1+2 punch at C covered and Eklund is looking good on wing. Quentin Musty looks darn nice too.

I suspect we will suck next year almost as bad so our 2025 draft will probably be top 5 too. Looking at Hagens and Hensler and hoping we are still league worst 1 more year lol

Slackin for Macklin had a nice ring to it this year. And it worked!

Need a rhyme for next year. Beggin for hagens? Doesn't have the same ring to it

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not once have I seen Dickenson outside the top 8 either.

Levshunov, Demidov and Silayev are all usually top 6 with Dickenson.

Buium and Parekh hovering between 6 and 10 on most lists.

Yakemchuk flies around between 6th and 12th most times.

Jiricek was more highly rated before his injury.

For off board forwards.

Sennecke's stock rising fast. No way Iginla gets past Calgary.

11 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Not once have I seen Dickenson outside the top 8 either.

Levshunov, Demidov and Silayev are all usually top 6 with Dickenson.

Buium and Parekh hovering between 6 and 10 on most lists.

Yakemchuk flies around between 6th and 12th most times.

Jiricek was more highly rated before his injury.

For off board forwards.

Sennecke's stock rising fast. No way Iginla gets past Calgary.

Website is called sportsgrid.com, shows Dickinsin at 12,not that any mock draft means a thing.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Website is called sportsgrid.com, shows Dickinsin at 12,not that any mock draft means a thing.

Never heard of it. The consolidated list has him at 4th overall. The consolidated list pulls rankings from 20+ sources and prospect watchers/scouting departments to the average spots

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Interested in buying a slightly used Ristolainen in "mint" condition?

Not with 4 years left no. Grier might consider it depending on the sweetener if he expects us to not be competitive for 3-4 more years and planning to buy out his last year.

6 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Never heard of it. The consolidated list has him at 4th overall. The consolidated list pulls rankings from 20+ sources and prospect watchers/scouting departments to the average spots

Over the years I have found that as you get closer to the draft, writers like Dreger and Button usually have an accurate list of who the team's are picking. I would love to somehow get Dickinson and pair him with Bonk.

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Over the years I have found that as you get closer to the draft, writers like Dreger and Button usually have an accurate list of who the team's are picking. I would love to somehow get Dickinson and pair him with Bonk.

Button did his mock draft and he thinks the Flyers are going to take Guelph's Jett Luchanko at 12. People on Twitter/X had a nuclear poop fit over that. 

17 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Button did his mock draft and he thinks the Flyers are going to take Guelph's Jett Luchanko at 12. People on Twitter/X had a nuclear poop fit over that. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/jett-luchanko-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/ 

image.png.8abe6951f0ee6864865ae7163e5381ae.png

Every draft, there are always a handful of players that surprise and makes their way into the first round. Last year, it was Easton Cowan. This year, Guelph Storm centre Jett Luchanko definitely could find himself as a first round pick as a result of his work ethic and tenacity. 

Luchanko led the Storm in scoring in his sophomore season, finishing with 74 points (top 30 in league scoring) in 68 games, a 1.09 point per game rate. While it may not seem like high-end production considering he had 14 points all of last season. Without Matthew Poitras, he was able to answer the call and take a massive step forward and prove that he can keep up and excel against tough competition. To have that responsibility, production and a smart two-way game at 17 years old is impressive.  

Luchanko’s main attributes are his work ethic and his smarts, which is evident in the recent OHL coach’s poll where he was voted in the top three as the smartest and hardest working player from the Western Conference. Even his on-ice testing before CHL Top Prospects game shows the skill that he has, scoring very well. He possesses great smarts, a high-end drive and motor every time he’s on the ice. He shows no fear and is always displaying a willingness to constantly battle in the tough areas. He needs to add more strength to his game, but that tenacity in addition to his speed always makes him a thorn in the side of the opposition to break up plays and force a turnover. 

Offensively, Luchanko is a very silky-smooth playmaker, driving the play every time and displaying great hands in tight spaces and high traffic areas. He has great speed and agility and has a very strong first few steps in order to create separation quickly to get out of high-pressure situations. Even when in that spot, he’s very calm and shows no panic. 

Luchanko is a very deceptive puck distributor. When you think he’s going to shoot, he quickly looks off for a pass fooling both defenders and goaltenders. He easily draws players in to open things up and can connect with his teammates easily, be it with cross seams or making quick give-and-go plays. He plays at a fast pace and combined with his speed, edgework, puck skills and control, he’s hard to contain in transition or when attacking the offensive zone. If he wants to be a dual threat, he needs to work on his shot and make better decisions with his shot selection. Though, he does a great job to get in tight on goalies and finish off plays with his hands and skill.

Luchanko has a very strong defensive game when he doesn’t have the puck. That same aggressive and tenacious mindset with the puck allows him to close gaps quickly and be engaged with his stick to make a timely lift and break up plays. He’s always in motion, scanning and anticipating where the puck is going to be to put himself in a great spot to engage in battle and regain possession. He provides great puck support for his teammates and is always in position to help out in a play.

Compared to other players in the OHL, Luchanko is definitely flying under the radar. The upside he has is undeniable as a lot of the quality teams look for is there. 

NHL Draft Projection
Ideally, Luchanko is a lock to be a second-round pick in this year’s draft. While he may not have first-round production, he definitely has the skillset and smarts in order to be one. Which is why if there’s a team that has him high on their list, there should be no hesitation to select him as a late first-round selection as he’s a reliable player with great skill to his game. 

Quotables
“There’s enough skill to make him worth the first-round bet, but the combination of raw athletic ability, high motor, solid skating and defensive acumen makes Luchanko an easy-to-project player.” – Hadi Kalakeche, Dobber Prospects 

“Luchanko’s got the speed, the tenacity, the skill, and the IQ to be a top six center at the NHL level. He’s also a committed two-way player and has kept up the strong off puck play that he exhibited last year, despite being counted upon to be an offensive play driver.” – Brock Otten, McKeen’s/ OHL Prospects

Strengths 
High motor and energy
Work ethic and competitive
Great skating speed and strong edgework
Strong two-way vision
Playmaking awareness

Under Construction- Improvements to Make
Improve shot selection and power
Build on strong offensive production
Add more strength

NHL Potential
Luchanko’s ceiling could project him as a highly skilled, two-way centreman with top-six potential. Even if he’s a middle-six player, he’s one that you can rely on in any situation and his speed could be an asset on the penalty-kill to try and generate some offense as well. There’s a lot that still needs to happen for him to get to that point, but the skill and awareness is already evident in his game that can get him there quicker. His development path and skillset feel very similar to that of Poitras as they both play with speed and are both skilled passers.

Risk- Reward Analysis

Risk- 2/5, Reward 3.5/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offense- 6/10, Defense 7/10

Awards/ Achievements
Luchanko won a silver medal at the 2023 U17 World Hockey Challenge, playing for Canada Red

==========================================

I would be a bit concerened at his size.  No doubt he can add bulk as  he grows.  That would be a concern but nothing to go nuclear like the nitwits on Twitter/X or any  other social media site,

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I would be a bit concerened at his size.  No doubt he can add bulk as  he grows.

I'm not "nuclear" about anything because nothing has actually happened yet.

I think reaching to the 20th ranked NA skater with your 12th pick in a rebuilding environment would be "a mistake" but I've been wrong before.

Not as often as the Flyers, but it has happened. :hocky:

9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Luchanko’s ceiling could project him as a highly skilled, two-way centreman with top-six potential.

So, Morgan Frost II.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1