🔴2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (M2) Carolina Hurricanes at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR WIN 4-2) 🔵

Hurricanes at Rangers  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Team Takes Their Appointed East Finals Spot?

• Canes in 4..... Proving the Rangers had it way too easy in the previous round
    • Canes in 5..... Blowing away NY and leaving them wondering why they didn't apply for natural disaster insurance...
    • Canes in 6... Very competitive series sees the Jerks convince non believers
    • Canes in 7.... Everything came down to the final game. And everything went right for Carolina
    • Rangers in 4.... Sent the message that Carolina are pretenders and they need to go back to the drawing board.
    • Rangers in 5... Carolina showed some life, but the Blueshirts were simply too much
    • Rangers in 6... Igor does Igor things and a sniff of the East Finals is all the Canes get
    • Rangers in 7... Chants of 'We want the Cup' permeate MSG, as NY eliminates a tough, game Carolina squad that just fell short

Posted (edited)

Haha and there it is! 3-zip … 

I think I picked Rangers in 6 and I sure didn’t think they’d win the first 3. Still undefeated in the POs and they’ve been the better team all 7 games. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🔴2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (M2) Carolina Hurricanes at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Lead 3-0) 🔵

Rangers making a mockery of this series.
Not like Carolina isn't game, but at the end of the day, we are talking about a 0-3 deficit for the Canes!

So much for a Stanley Cup buildup for Brindy's crew...

3 hours ago, NHL HHOF said:

Can the Rangers become the first team in NHL history to go 16-0 in the playoffs?

put the pipe down, sheesh.

No.

If the Rangers continue to play like this, I don't see where there is a team that can beat them 4 times.

I've been letting my blind hatred of that organization shade my perception of just how good they can be/are. 

If we all remember the only good thing about the Rangers is their sweaters. Everything else blows donkeys. Especially the goddamned goal song which is just the worst.

I hate them but if they keep on keeping on they may be skating the cup.  

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

If the Rangers continue to play like this, I don't see where there is a team that can beat them 4 times.

I've been letting my blind hatred of that organization shade my perception of just how good they can be/are. 

If we all remember the only good thing about the Rangers is their sweaters. Everything else blows donkeys. Especially the goddamned goal song which is just the worst.

I hate them but if they keep on keeping on they may be skating the cup.  

You mean....the HYPE may be true....this time???? :shifty: 

I won't lie, I am impressed by them so far.
That said, beating a hapless Washington team four straight isn't exactly Herculean.
If they manage to do it to a much better Canes' team...sure. Heck even if they just win the series.

But if they make it to the East Finals, I think one of Florida and Boston will be quite different for them...especially if it's the Panthers.

Crazy thing that keeps going through my brain though is.... if somehow, some way, we get the 30th anniversary of the rematch of '94.... I think the Rangers COULD be raising that Cup....and Van City may have to have their fire department on alert once again! 😳

• Like 1

For those following along at home...

The Rangers were in back to back Conference semis in 11-12 and 12-13. It was a "good sign" when the Flyers lost in 7 to them in the first round of their Finals run in 13-14 and they lost the Conference Final in 14-15.

They declared a rebuild. Missed the playoff in 17-18, 18-19, and 19-20. Then:

Conference Final

First Round Loss

Currently have won six straight in the 23-24 playoffs.

Over that same stretch, the eternally retooling and reloading Flyers lost in the first round three times, won a playoff round, and missed the playoff seven times, including the last four years.

That is the fundamental difference in approaches. The Rangers were up, down, and are rising again while the Flyers remain in the middle of the pack the whole time.

There are no guarantees - and they still have to win this series and two more - but as a fan I'd much rather be watching a team like the Rangers than an organization like the Flyers.

And that sucks.

:hocky:

• Like 3

@radoran

Can't argue with any of that

If the Flyers had organically bottomed out once or twice since the '04 maybe it wouldn't have been a bad thing. 

Hextall wanted to when he took over. 

I also maintain the Rangers situation was unique because they kept Krieder and Zabinejad to build around and Panarin only wanted to play in NYC.

That's a pretty good head start on rebuilding right there.

One of the reasons I like the Hurricanes is, they are very good and I don't think they ever tried to lose. 

Seeing #1 overall Alexi Lafrenierre score the go-ahead goal last night was super-extra disheartening. 

The team without the #1 overall has kicked the other team's ass most of the last two games yet they find themselves down 0-3.

It's illustrating a point I hate. 

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Hextall wanted to when he took over. 

I also maintain the Rangers situation was unique because they kept Krieder and Zabinejad to build around and Panarin only wanted to play in NYC.

We're not talking about a complete tear down, no, but they also didn't make 4-year commitments to 30-year-old journeyman waiver wire pickups in the name of "culture."

Zibanejad was 24 when they made that commitment. Kreider was 25 when they signed him the year before.

Currently, Capfriendly has the Flyers and Rangers about the same average age at forward. Once Johnson comes off, their defense is about the same average.

The Flyers have six skaters 28 or older signed for at least the next two years for $26.55M and "if all goes well" will add another at at least $8M per.

The Rangers also have seven skaters signed for the next two years over the age of 28.

The Flyers have 13 forwards and four defencemen signed for next season with an RFA, $500K in cap space plus the 10% off season exemption ($8.7M) before they get the $10.25M back from Ellis and Johansen. They have $9M in dead cap on top of the $10.25M in LTIR and another $3.85M buried in the AHL. Pending buyouts...

The Rangers have 12 forwards and four defencemen signed with 3 RFAs. They have $10M in cap space and no dead cap.

The Rangers are 6-0 in the playoffs and in the second round. And the Flyers are - checks notes - currently looking for a #1D, #1C, and possibly a #1G after missing the playoffs for four years.

This is why they need to rebuild right.

:hocky:

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Canes to be swept, thankfully. See ya! I don't care about the Rangers, but the Canes are just one of those teams I hate. If only because of the stupid obnoxious horn that they are always blowing during the game! 

Go Rangers! End this for the Canes!

The hockey Gods were not kind to Carolina there. Kotkeniemi(sp) misses the net on a wide open scoring chance, and a minute later, the Rangers score.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🔴2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (M2) Carolina Hurricanes at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Lead 3-1) 🔵

Jordan Staal’s game 5 tying goal notwithstanding, the Carolina Hurricanes are currently -1 on their Power Play this series.  Oof!

Perhaps it won’t matter, as Evgeny “The Eagle” Kuznetsov has just made it 2-1 Canes in their attempt to sweep the Rangers in their own improbable way!

• Like 1

One more game and a Game 6 Canes win, and the rumors are going to start swirling about a Mark Messier comeback. lol

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🔴2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (M2) Carolina Hurricanes at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Lead 3-2) 🔵

What a difference in the first 2 periods to the last. Back to Carolina for game 6 and if they happen to win that one the ol’ Blueshirts will be gripping their sticks a little tighter in game 7 back at MSG

• Like 2

Could it be the Canes tempo is taking a toll on the Rangers?

Not very much happening for the Rangers in the third period. 

This has been a good series.  Well played, good emotion.  

Fun  high-skill hockey. 

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Could it be the Canes tempo is taking a toll on the Rangers?

Not very much happening for the Rangers in the third period. 

This has been a good series.  Well played, good emotion.  

Fun  high-skill hockey. 

To me it’s the best series so far 

• Like 1

Apparently there was a reason at the beginning of these playoffs that Vegas had Carolina with the lowest-paying odds to win the Cup.

• Like 1

New York can still head to the Eastern Finals, but right now, the Carolina Hurricanes are looking damned good to force a Game 7...and I STILL am not believing the NY Ranger hype.

Pretty sure some  historical ninnies, or sentimental dinosaur wants an "Original Six" (I am really starting to hate that term) Boston vs New York East Finals, but nothing wrong with Carolina at Florida.

In fact, that all South East Finals will have some northern snobs eating their own yankee doodles! :shifty: 

Throw in Dallas if they get in the West, and the entire US north of the Mason Dixon may riot :rolleyes: 

Rangers enjoyed one piece of bread and buttah tonight, but do they have enough in supply to eat more?  (Maybe they need a more varied diet to avoid the 3-3 series scare.)

Posted (edited)

Wow.
Former Penguin Jake Guentzel......beat Eeeegor like a rented mule (who said that BTW, and WHY is it ok to abuse rental animals??), but couldn't beat the post...

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26