Capitals reach agreement to purchase CapFriendly website

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Another reason for me to dislike the Caps more than any other team.

Jeebus, man, the Penguins are sitting right there!

🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...the Capitals are purchasing CAPfriendly....

I KNOW there is a joke in there somewhere.... :rolleyes:

Yes, but @ruxpin has already commented!

:hocky:

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...the Capitals are purchasing CAPfriendly....

I KNOW there is a joke in there somewhere.... :rolleyes:

If there is any team that should have purchased CAPfriendly it was the Wild.

8 hours ago, radoran said:

Jeebus, man, the Penguins are sitting right there!

🤣

Yeah, I know. And it risks my Flyers fan card being revoked (which would be a shame, since it's what's keeping my fish tank level), but I've always had a bunch stronger dislike for the Caps and their fans more than their Pittsburgh or New York counterparts.  I think some of it is hockey, but if I were to psychoanalyze, it likely stems from 2 separate violent incidents in the stands at two separate games at the old Cap Centre when i was like 7 and 8.  That and because they were somewhat more relevant than the Penguins growing up (before they weren't again). Or seemed to be, anyway.

• Like 1

So buy the site that shares how much or how little cap space teams have.  Why?  What does that really do for the Washington Capitals?  I guess give them control of data that we assume to be mostly true?  

I love the site, it has been well run over the years.  Not sure what incentive there is for any NHL team, not just Washington to own it.  Hiding that information behind a pay wall won't make a lot of folks happy either.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Not sure what incentive there is for any NHL team, not just Washington to own it.  Hiding that information behind a pay wall won't make a lot of folks happy either. 

I'm going to presume that it has to do with the "cap" name and that they want "capfriendly" for something else.

Much like it replaced CapGeek, I would hope/expect something supplants CapFriendly.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

CapFriendly will operate independently through the NHL Draft and on July 1, the first day of free agency. Once the transaction is closed, CapFriendly will go dark, the source said.
CapFriendly will live internally with the Capitals, who anticipate growth in similar capacities to augment analytics, scouting and player development, the source said.

Several NHL clubs were interested in buying CapFriendly, the source said, and another source familiar with talks the site’s owners held with other clubs. There is also PuckPedia, which recently underwent a redesign that offers functions similar to that of CapFriendly.

Edited by bbgarnett

I'm trying, smoke is getting out of my ears, but I still don't get the point of it. I'm sure that some geeky nerds are already working on it, gathering petabytes of information and build another platform that will be the public successor of CapFriendly in the same way when CapFriendly replaced CapGeek.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Math said:

I'm trying, smoke is getting out of my ears, but I still don't get the point of it.

I honestly don't understand it, either. And the clarification makes it worse.

They're buying a site to have access to freely-available information, and are disabling their competitors' ability to update it?

20 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm going to presume that it has to do with the "cap" name and that they want "capfriendly" for something else.

Much like it replaced CapGeek, I would hope/expect something supplants CapFriendly.

Next up... CapLeaveItThe^%$#AloneAlready.org :shifty:

On 6/10/2024 at 7:04 AM, pilldoc said:

horrible news ...I use that site all the time.  Hopefully another will come along.

It still works doesn't it?? or did they shut it down?

WildCap.com

CapDevil.com

SalaryKraken.com

LeafProrata.com

Just some suggestions for the replacement site. Who would buy any of those?

I'm not running it.  Its a full time job with no pay.  Honestly, I can't imagine how tedious it must've been to keep a place like that updated as well as they did.  

Its almost one of those situations where you'd want to have CapFriendly join Patreon and support it there...and just keep it out of the Washington Capitals' hands and hopefully give those that run the place a financial incentive to keep doing what they were doing.  

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I'm not running it.  Its a full time job with no pay

The weird thing is, as I understand it from the coverage, teams had an Application Programming Interface (API) through which their information was updated.

It's why I don't see where the value is to the Caps as they've apparently revoked all the other API connections.

If what they say is true they have either created a full time job to copy the information from whatever site gets the other 31 teams to join via API or they intend to use the URL for something entirely different.

That said, they can certainly use the back-end infrastructure for buyouts, FA tracking (assuming that API remains), and... Something??

I still believe they bought the URL which will be for some sort of team outreach.

10 hours ago, radoran said:

The weird thing is, as I understand it from the coverage, teams had an Application Programming Interface (API) through which their information was updated.

It's why I don't see where the value is to the Caps as they've apparently revoked all the other API connections.

If what they say is true they have either created a full time job to copy the information from whatever site gets the other 31 teams to join via API or they intend to use the URL for something entirely different.

That said, they can certainly use the back-end infrastructure for buyouts, FA tracking (assuming that API remains), and... Something??

I still believe they bought the URL which will be for some sort of team outreach.

I know there are outside consulting firms that do much of what you describe, heck...I even remember former Blackhawks GM Mike Smith discussing how his consulting firm basically tracked analytics of players before anyone was talking about possession metrics, etc.  But it broke players actual values down and how much they provided.  It weighted points on whether they were more impactful; for example a guy who racks up a lot of 2nd assists isn't going to get the same value score as a player who mostly creates primary assists.  

If these stats were updated by teams; then why take it over?  IMO, it kind of begs the question what are you trying to hide by buying it out?  Because what over incentive would there be to any team buying that site unless its to hide information from other clubs if that has become the general tool everyone uses?

Either way, it seems like a big step backwards with a strong possibility of shenanigans.