Paul Martin Out

Guest sekkes85

So, Neal, Asham, Adams, and now Martin out... let's just end this tonight and rest up for the next series!

Well, they had better beat them because if not, winning at the WFC with this depleted line up is going to give the Pens a huge boost.

@terp Did Lovejoy play in game 3, or did they bench him? That attempted clear right into Couts was pretty embarrassing.

You're right, Niskanen was back but he isn't 100%. Lovejoy will probably take Martin's place.

He *was* terrible so far. I am sure the Pens feel cheated and disappointed with this guy. When he just began his career, I thought he was going to become a consummate star in this league for sure. He had all the ingredients needed to be a smooth skating, smart d-man, who was going to be effective in both ends of the ice. He is not an exception, of course, of a rather large bunch of players who refused to work hard to make in in the NHL. The Devils ran out of patience with this guy, and I think the Pens will eventually too.

Do you think the Pens ever regret not resigning Gonchar instead of Martin?

Every day of the week and twice on Sundays! Gonchar was deadly on the point when it came to PPs and was decent on defense. Paul Martin and Ben Lovejoy just plain stink this year.

I just can't get past his name, which is shared by a former Canadian Prime Minister...

it'd be like watching George Bush playing right wing for the Devils (no, this was not a randomly selected team ;)

Don't keep us hanging! Is it Pierre Trudeau? Is it??

Or is this an even more devious trick question? Kim Campbell?

Do you think the Pens ever regret not resigning Gonchar instead of Martin?

Wasn't it Gonchars last game as a Pen in postseason when he basically stood there and watched a Hab go around him and score. It was one of THE WORST defensive plays I have ever witnessed in my entire life, including watching mini-mite hockey.

edit: found it

Ya, after that effort I could see wanting to bring him back.

Flowery hasn't really been dominatingly impressive in playoff goal since that game - that was the fourth of 4 goals to put the team in a 4-0 hole in Game 7.

In fact, the Pens have given up 8 goals in three of their last six playoff games. True story (TAM 8-2 in Game 5 last year).

On that play Gonchar was being Gonchar - waiting for his goalie to make the comparatively easy save so he could be part of the breakout the other way.

There is no "d" in "Sergei Viktorovich Gonchar". His best +/- years were +25 and +26 - in 95-96 and 99-00. Over his Pens career he had 259 points and was -3 in 322 games.

The fact of the matter is that the Pens felt they could sign a younger Martin for longer and ($500K...) cheaper (taking advantage of the Devils' cap problems due to signing Kovalchuk) while Gonchar was on the tail end of his career in what would be a 35+ contract.

Gonchar got 3Y/$16.5M from Ottawa. In retrospect, the Pens might have been better off keeping him. IMO, this is an(other) example of the 35+ rule's unintended consequences.