Great TEAM Effort

Guest flyercanuck

Absolutely they played a great game. So much better in the defensive zone than early in the series, seemed like everyone was doing a great job of getting sticks in passing lanes, collapsing back around Bryz to keep the doorstep clear... I give a lot of credit to Lavi, he clearly had the team ready to do what they had to do.

Agreed and agreed. Giroux was the consumate leader all game long. And Laviolette came up with a good game plan...and they actually stuck to it. Getting Grossmann and Meszaros back at some point is going to really help out.

Agreed and agreed. Giroux was the consumate leader all game long. And Laviolette came up with a good game plan...and they actually stuck to it. Getting Grossmann and Meszaros back at some point is going to really help out.

Yep. I was very impressed with Gus today though. He looked solid, except for the delay of game penalty near the end. 22:09 toi for him and he looked comfortable.

22:09?! Holy...I know he was out a lot against Malkin, I was really comfortable with him today, though.

Yeah, no kidding. That's a lot of TOI for a rookie D in an elimination game for a series he didn't even start in. Wow!

I think he played an awesome game overall too. Guess sending him down really paid off.

Wow is right - haven't seen the TOI yet for today - but 22 minutes for Gus?

Lavy must've had a good feeling about him - plus he had no other options really. Kimmo didn't play nearly as much as he did in G5 it seemed. He has to be seriously hurting or he'd be playing the big minutes too.

I love the idea of getting Gross and Mez back but I hate to lose Kimmo, even for 1 game. It's pretty amazing how well every Flyer played today. The only quiet ones were Read and JVR really. I don't know what's up with Read, he seemed a bit off, not really clicking with his line mates. Maybe he spoiled me - I'm looking for goals from him every game now!

Okay so I checked - 15:44 today for Kimmo. Coby 29:27, Carle 27:18

Those are some monster minutes for those 2 - we really need to get at least Grossmann back for G1. The week's rest (or whatever it turns out to be) has to help Kimmo...even if it is a chronic back thing...

Edited by canoli

Now THAT was an all around effort by the entire team, including the goalie. They played a poised, group effort with a killer instinct. And they're getting healthier.

Loved Schenn verse Staal good match up by Lavy.

One of the most impressive TEAM stats were the draws - some of the numbers are incredible, especially against Crosby and Staal who are both damn good FO men.

Couturier - 75% - won 4 out of 5 against Malkin, 4 of 6 vs Crosby. Take THAT "best player in the world, best player of the season"

Schenn - 56% he won all of his against Crosby, Kennedy, and Vitale. Staal beat him 3 of 4 times.

Briere and Talbot - 100% - both 2 for 2

G went 43%, 14 of 32 - Staal beat him 5 of 8 times, split 50/50 with Malkin and Crosby

Read won 40% of his, 2 for 5

The key to it was the timing of some of those draws. On the PK, on the PP... really good work today in FO circle.

I thought we owned the faceoff circle for most of the series. Geez Couturier is good at them. Gus was great, that one shift on Malkin...l couldn't believe how well he played him.

Anyone see Bryz hug Giroux? I already had all the respect in the world for him. I just saw a different person in Bryzgalov right there.

agreed they were led by orange jesus though , that kid set the tone with the big hit and shot to the corner in the first minute, damn what a competitor he is.

This image had me pumped for 2008. I hope this is the year we take it all.

GirouxHolmgren.jpg

Now THAT was an all around effort by the entire team, including the goalie. They played a poised, group effort with a killer instinct. And they're getting healthier.

HECK of a team effort even when mistakes cost them they kept plugging away...i've only followed since the Lindros era..so i have to say the DEEPEST TEAM they've ever iced since i've watched.

HECK of a team effort even when mistakes cost them they kept plugging away...i've only followed since the Lindros era..so i have to say the DEEPEST TEAM they've ever iced since i've watched.

I'm with you there. Lindros era myself and on. These kids can play.

I'm with you there. Lindros era myself and on. These kids can play.

Still haven't seen a player LIKE Lindros....he's what made me start loving to watch hockey and sucked me into having to watch...there may never be another like him.

Still haven't seen a player LIKE Lindros....he's what made me start loving to watch hockey and sucked me into having to watch...there may never be another like him.

I don't think we ever will see someone like that again to be honest. Just a freakish combination of size, strength, skill, and utter mismatch compared to the rest of the league.

I don't think we ever will see someone like that again to be honest. Just a freakish combination of size, strength, skill, and utter mismatch compared to the rest of the league.

It sure seemed that way to me, almost borderline unfair...