Sean Pronger on his brother Chris

Guest brelic

There was an interview on TSN with Sean Pronger asking him about his thoughts on CHris, and he said that Chris "should not come back next year, he'll be, what 38, and I just don't see the point." He also added that he doesn't know what Chris will decide, but that it was his sense that Chris would not be back next year.

Let's hope that a) Chris gets better, and that B) the next CBA allows us to get out of that contract somehow.

There was an interview on TSN with Sean Pronger asking him about his thoughts on CHris, and he said that Chris "should not come back next year, he'll be, what 38, and I just don't see the point." He also added that he doesn't know what Chris will decide, but that it was his sense that Chris would not be back next year.

Let's hope that a) Chris gets better, and that B) the next CBA allows us to get out of that contract somehow.

Why do we need to buy out his contract? Cant we just keep him on LTIR and keep his salary off the cap? If the new CBA allows for a buyout, I would rather use it towards Bryzgalov. Unless he has a miraculous turn around in these playoffs and helps carry the load to a Cup, I would love to get rid of that guy by training camp.

Why do we need to buy out his contract? Cant we just keep him on LTIR and keep his salary off the cap? If the new CBA allows for a buyout, I would rather use it towards Bryzgalov. Unless he has a miraculous turn around in these playoffs and helps carry the load to a Cup, I would love to get rid of that guy by training camp.

The LTIR thing creates some problems. It limits off season cap flexibility and spring time cap flexibility for deadline trades. The LTIR player's contract counts against the limit too, a feature that poses a problem for teams like the Flyers who typically use the contract limit. That said, I don't think the new CBA will allow buy outs of injured players. The only thing that will help us is greater flexibility for dealing with LTIR players or players retired because of injury. I could see that happening.

After being named player of the month of March and barring a massive melt down this spring, Bryzgalov isn't likely to be going anywhere.

The LTIR thing creates some problems. It limits off season cap flexibility and spring time cap flexibility for deadline trades. The LTIR player's contract counts against the limit too, a feature that poses a problem for teams like the Flyers who typically use the contract limit. That said, I don't think the new CBA will allow buy outs of injured players. The only thing that will help us is greater flexibility for dealing with LTIR players or players retired because of injury. I could see that happening.

After being named player of the month of March and barring a massive melt down this spring, Bryzgalov isn't likely to be going anywhere.

Good info, thanks.

Bryzgalov had one good month out of the past 7. So far he has sucked in the playoffs and the Flyers are very fortunate to be moving on. If his poor play continues in the next round and we knocked out thanks to a 4+ GAA and sub 900 save%, I would think people would be open to dumping him if possible. I just dont know if Snider would eat that much crow. There is over 40 million still on that contract. That is a lot of crow, even for Snider.

I believe team's can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason, and have to be compliant by start of season. The kicker is that you can't LTIR a player until the season starts. So, the Flyers would have Pronger's huge hit sitting there all summer, effectively killing their ability to sign a lot/big $$ players(maybe not a bad thing!).

At first glance, though, I think the 10% overage allowance and Pronger's cap hit are fairly close, so maybe it wouldn't be a huge issue for them??

We wouldn't need to buy out his contract if he is legitimately on LTIR. But the player has to demonstrate that he is trying to return to the ice, and then be declared medically unfit to play by doctors. That's why Sean's interview is not really helpful. He's looking for the well-being of his brother, of course, and that he shouldn't play because there's no sense for him to do so. He had a great career, SC winner, All-star, Olympian gold medallist... but "should" and "should not" don't matter unless a doctor says so.

The only current way out of his contract is legitimate LTIR or a trade.

The only current way out of his contract is legitimate LTIR or a trade.

It seems that from his troubles all year that he would fit as legitimate LTIR. I could see him wanting to come back though, especially because this team has a legit shot of winning a cup over the next few years. Not saying that he should, but as a competitor, he probably wants to. The problem would be, his game will never be the same. He will not have that same snarl or bone crushing checks knowing that he is one concussion away from jello brains.

Edited by trevluk

I just dont know if Snider would eat that much crow. There is over 40 million still on that contract. That is a lot of crow, even for Snider.

Snider is allergic to crow, as most guys of his economic stature are. Had Bryzgalov sucked throughout the season, I would still have put long odds on a buy out..but it would have been a possibility nonetheless. I think the hitch would have been less Snider and more the Comcast board, which would hate throwing money away like that after Snider recommended signing him during the previous off season. However, Bryzgalov's performance in March showed everyone what he is capable of and again, barring any over the top weirdness this spring, I think they will ride it out.

My personal sense is that Bryzgalov has been playing hurt but that he's going to be OK for the most part from here on in. I regret that prediction already but let's pray I'm right this time.

• Like 1

I believe team's can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason, and have to be compliant by start of season. The kicker is that you can't LTIR a player until the season starts. So, the Flyers would have Pronger's huge hit sitting there all summer, effectively killing their ability to sign a lot/big $$ players(maybe not a bad thing!).

At first glance, though, I think the 10% overage allowance and Pronger's cap hit are fairly close, so maybe it wouldn't be a huge issue for them??

This is where moving JVR comes into play along with maybe Carle's rights before the draft....

...they've proved the can survive without JVR...

...he would be tying up 4.25 mill next year and beyond of which i don't think he deserves.

He's play the remainder of the post season will dictate all that is to come.

The other thing to remember about the 10% cushion is that all players on one way contracts count against that, even those that played for the Phantoms all year. In addition, players on two way contracts count against the cap in proportion to the number of games played on the NHL club in prior years. So Walker will be back on the cap. Leighton's contract is up, so he won't. But I'm sure there are some others.

@all

Pronger is not going anywhere. He will either attempt a come back or be LTIR. Nothing more and nothing less. The management and doctors will know well in advance if he can make it back. The 10% cushion is no problem.

Truthfully, this post is much to do about nothing UNLESS pronger is able to return. Otherwise it is a nonsequitare (ala Hatcher, Ratche, Lappierre, etc.).

@doom88

"Well, the hidden benefit is, Homer can't go on a spending spree in the summer. Once the season starts and Pronger hits LTIR, the team saves up cap space for the trade deadline."

While perhaps accurrate, it is not because of pronger (particularly if they already know if is not going to come back). The Flyers are allowed to be 10% over the cap (which is greater than Prongers cap hit) and than have to be in compliance by the start of the season (which would be concurrent / coincide with Pronger being LTIR'd).

The handcuff in my opinion is the pending new CBA.

Regardless, its 5m Homer can't use in the summer. Which can be a good thing in both short and long term thinkIng.

Yeah but he's still a got #1 draft picks line up from here to as far as the eye can see. And they're all whispering in his ear, "trade me Paul, trade me... You know want to!"

Yeah but he's still a got #1 draft picks line up from here to as far as the eye can see. And they're all whispering in his ear, "trade me Paul, trade me... You know want to!"

LOL, yes, that is very true. At least he can't directly acquire someone too cap unfriendly in exchange, though I could see Homer moving a pick or two for FA rights.

I think Homer may be through trading for pricey players to be honest. The roster spots and TOI are needed to further development of what is already available and promising. Homer certainly is aware.

Although now that I really think about it, Homer probably is not aware of the 10% over summer salary cap rule, and probably thinks Pronger's salary doesn't count during the summer either. Should have hired a lawyer with a cpa for Bryz's money...

Snider is allergic to crow, as most guys of his economic stature are. Had Bryzgalov sucked throughout the season, I would still have put long odds on a buy out..but it would have been a possibility nonetheless. I think the hitch would have been less Snider and more the Comcast board, which would hate throwing money away like that after Snider recommended signing him during the previous off season. However, Bryzgalov's performance in March showed everyone what he is capable of and again, barring any over the top weirdness this spring, I think they will ride it out.

My personal sense is that Bryzgalov has been playing hurt but that he's going to be OK for the most part from here on in. I regret that prediction already but let's pray I'm right this time.

This forum kills me. Just pure silliness all of the time. Bryz is worth all of his $52M. Everybody needs to stop it. He had adjustment issues to this over-reactive fan base and regrettable media circus, and he was injured, may still be. If this guy gets us to the finals, or a Cuo, I want to hear all of the idiots then.

This forum kills me. Just pure silliness all of the time. Bryz is worth all of his $52M. Everybody needs to stop it. He had adjustment issues to this over-reactive fan base and regrettable media circus, and he was injured, may still be. If this guy gets us to the finals, or a Cuo, I want to hear all of the idiots then.

At least there's one fan who thinks they did the right thing with the 9-year, $51MM deal.