A Season's Assessment

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

I have been away for a long time. Work and personal issues including father's passing have kept me away.

Some of the pundits felt we would be a marginal playoff performer...Sporting News saw is 8-11. We were better.

Tonight's loss and play this series are painful. My take:

1) Our forward corps is OK. I wonder if the D is persistent enough.

2) Bryz misses Tippett's system. Homer's trades for Coots, etc. may be offset by this signing.

3) Our forwards broke Pitt's back. Against a disciplined team we got whacked.

4) Grossman is a good add but I suspect Homer will make a D shake-up.

Lavy could not figure out how to beat DeBoer's system. I wonder if we see a coaching change; if not the head coach, elsewhere?

Peace and I hope all is well with the folks here.

Howie

@Howie58

Condolences to you and your family for the loss of your father.

I like the energy and youth of our forwards. I too question whether Lavy's system is sustainable and viable in the postseason when you are constantly up against worthy opponents. Homer will definitely address the D due to injury (Pronger)and age (Timonen).

Howie,

So sorry to hear about your father. My condolences!

As I mentioned in a different thread, the season went just about as most of us expected, if not better. I saw this as a borderline playoff team, and they ended up being better.

I can see some shakeup on the D, but I also imagine Bourdon and Gus will make the team as regulars. Carle seems like a logical man out.

The forwards are fine, I agree. But I would like to see Jagr being replaced with a younger veteran on the wing. I respect him for his professionalism, but the guy has nothing left.

Glad to see you back Howie. My condolences for your loss.

Your questions are always thought provoking. I doubt we will see a coaching change, Lavy did a really nice job considering how many rookies were in the line-up throughout the year. He can re-think his system over the summer, and adjust.

After losing Pronger this year I doubt many of us even thought we would make the playoffs. Taking Pittsburgh out was the highlight.

I respect him for his professionalism, but the guy has nothing left.

sadly i agree with this, he was fun and good influence on these guys this year, he just had no pop in the NJ series, maybe with a pay cut and reduced minutes, he can still be effective, but to resign him at 3.3 is not good business.

@Howie58

nice to see you back, my condolences also.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

Greetings:

I have been away for a long time. Work and personal issues including father's passing have kept me away.

Some of the pundits felt we would be a marginal playoff performer...Sporting News saw is 8-11. We were better.

2) Bryz misses Tippett's system. Homer's trades for Coots, etc. may be offset by this signing.

Lavy could not figure out how to beat DeBoer's system. I wonder if we see a coaching change; if not the head coach, elsewhere?

Howie

Hey Howie, sorry to hear about your loss. As for your assessment, I think you're right that Holmgren has to rebuild the defense so I can see JVR being used for trade bait to get a defenseman.

So sorry to hear about your dad Howie. Some thoughts...

I think your most pertinant point is the D. I think everyone would agree that our D corps needs a shake up. Having our #1 and #2 D-men out for the playoffs really showed but most likely we will never see Pronger again so moves need to be made. I would love Suter, Weber is too expensive.

I dont know what to think about Bryz. It wouldnt surprise me to see him have a turn around year next season and be the goalie we need him to be, but it also wouldnt surprise me that what we saw is what we get. His contract could prevent this team from winning the Cup while all the other pieces are in place.

I love the young forwards core of this team but it does need to be balanced with some veteran leadership. Danny does not show that leadership all year but shows up in the play offs. Not sure if it is worth it. The Jagr experiment was fun, but is should be over unless he comes back for half price and plays 3rd line.

As usual, so much to think about in the off season after yet another disappointing end to the year.

My condolences for the loss of your father Howie. I think you hit the assessment pretty much square in the nose...The main focus for next season needs to be the defensive corps. Carle should be gone, and Lilja would not skate another game in the O&B if it were up to me. I don't think I can put my frustration into words for the play of Bryz.....The Flyers went so far as to NEVER challenge the puck coming up ice against the Devils for fear of Bryz being exposed.....The biggest reason that the Flyers beat the Pens was two things, HATE and a lot of it, and a goalie that actually played worse than Bryz.....I hope the CBA allows a one time buyout with no penalty for the next CBA.. Hey Bryz, please be better next year........because with that boat anchor of a contract you received, we are totally screwed if you don't .......

Greetings:

Howie

sorry for your loss,.. your assessment is dead on..Lavy was outcoached and it will interesting to see how lmany more chances he gets..also Lavy system doesn't fit Bryz..put 2 and 2 together I think were coming to a conclusion..

Greetings:

Howie

Hey Howie sorry for your loss...just last week on May 3rd i had to bury my grandma on my daughter's first birthday.

Sad and heavy heart here too.

Would have been nice to keep the run going but this TEAM has a lot to sort out.

Edit: Certainly would have been nice if Lavy would have tried to insert some different people into the line up for a spark. Too many guys just didn't show up...

Edited by OccamsRazor

Greetings:

Thanks for your condolences and it is nice to see some familiar "faces."

Homer will have his hands full. But its probable he has cap space if Timonen retires, Jagr is unsigned (or resigned for less, something I wouldn't rule out), Pronger goes LTIC or retires, and "other."

God knows about Bryz. Yikes. One possibility here is either go with a 1A, 1B system (assuming we are stuck with him) for two to three seasons. That may or may not mean Bobo, who is being wasted on the bench or as trade bait.

Gus and Bourdon have some potential. But it wouldn't surprise me to trade for a someone mobile or lots of draft picks for them.

I may not live to see another Cup.

Best,

Howie

P.S. I just ordered a case of wine over the net...a first time for everything. And yes, it is red...doubt if it is all Merlot...(smile), but it's fermented...not demented.