UFA Day Frenzy

Guest brelic

Apparently ANA insisting that Coots be in any deal for Ryan.

I know people's first reaction is 'hell no' but at the end of the day, you gotta give up the goods to get the goods.

Our top 3 centers for the next few years are G, Briere, and Schenn. Talbot would be 4th I guess. Then when Laughton is ready and Briere's contract is up, bring him up as 3rd line center behind G and Schenn.

I love Coots, but I would consider a deal for Ryan very seriously.

@brelic I want no part of Ryan for Couts....Couts will turn out to be a MUCH more impactful player.

There's no doubt the kid shows great potential, but if bringing Ryan in now boosts your shot at the Cup would you take that trade? If Couturier develops into an all star in say... Two years, how do you envision your roster to be by then?

Apparently ANA insisting that Coots be in any deal for Ryan.

I know people's first reaction is 'hell no' but at the end of the day, you gotta give up the goods to get the goods.

Our top 3 centers for the next few years are G, Briere, and Schenn. Talbot would be 4th I guess. Then when Laughton is ready and Briere's contract is up, bring him up as 3rd line center behind G and Schenn.

I love Coots, but I would consider a deal for Ryan very seriously.

Then Homer needs to play hard ball as well, and offer Couts straight up or with a filler player to shed a contract / salary. Let's see how serious they are.

@brelic I want no part of Ryan for Couts....Couts will turn out to be a MUCH more impactful player.

I hear ya. Like I said, I love Coots. Was so impressed with him last year, but I would seriously consider that trade, especially that we might have a similar type of replacement in Laughton.

Man I hope not. That would be very very bad. Like time to consider Nash bad.

As much as I'd dislike that, scoring isn't what the Penguins need. If we can still run up the score on them then it isn't concerning. Now if they were to also add Suter...

I wonder if the thought is get a guy under contract during this cba terms be damned, and then straighten out the mess under the new deal. Maybe that's why we're seeing stupid crazy term lengths...

And why we're " in on" these top dogs...

You would think snider would have hired a howie roseman type to help mange the cap

Honestly, I thought Parentau would be an excellent fit in Pittsburgh, and they wouldn't need to shell out a ton for him. He's shown he can put up points in a top line role, he should be able to perform alongside either Malkin or Crosby. I don't think they need Parise, though he obviously wouldn't hurt.

There's no doubt the kid shows great potential, but if bringing Ryan in now boosts your shot at the Cup would you take that trade? If Couturier develops into an all star in say... Two years, how do you envision your roster to be by then?

No no and um no.

Couturier put up back to back 90+ point years in the Q and has off the charts hockey iq an poise.

Bobby Ryan for Couts should have extra coming back to us...

2 years from now Giroux, Couterier , Schenn , Briere down the middle good luck trying to deal with that NHL.

• Like 1

@mojo1917 excellent point mojo....we are set up to have a natural monopoly at center in a few years. No checking scheme could handle that talent coming at them in waves. You don't give that up for 30+ goals a year. Couts will outscore Ryan someday....quicker than most think. This deal would let us win for one, *maybe* two years and then we get beat like an Italian midfielder for years to come (like the soccer throw in?) LOL!

Coots as well as Schenn are untouchable No way I do a trade invlolving Cooter or Schenn for Ryan, not smart, you create paranoia in the locker room. Coots did so well his rookie season I seriously doubt Ryan could shut down the Pens team like the way Cooter did. Really does not matter how good you do for this team anymore your always a part of trade talks, a real shame....

• Like 1

just thought I'd throw these quotes out there..... priceless really after tossing both Carter and Bob to the Blue Jackets

Semin was blasted by TSN analysts Pierre McGuire and Marc Crawford during the network’s coverage of the NHL’s first day of free agency on Sunday.

“This is not a great teammate, I'm telling you right now,” McGuire said. “Not a good guy to have around your group unless you have unbelievably strong leadership. He’s the ultimate coach killer, that's what he is.”

Crawford joined in by saying Semin has “no character.”

“He'll be banished to a place like Columbus or something like that, and that's what those guys do,” Crawford said. “They head to the island of misfit toys.

“You either take a guy who’s a complete winner, or take a guy who’s a complete loser. He falls in that category.”

Flyers would be smart to just resign our own guys and avoid these moronic long term monster $$$ deals that have been handed out like ****** free candy. This will bite those teams in the ass eventually. Homer should just lay low in the tall grass and build the team up through the draft and make a few under the radar moves here and there. If you can make a steal trade do it but do not give up alot but take alot in the process.

• Like 1

Flyers would be smart to just resign our own guys and avoid these moronic long term monster $$$ deals that have been handed out like ****** free candy. This will bite those teams in the ass eventually. Homer should just lay low in the tall grass and build the team up through the draft and make a few under the radar moves here and there. If you can make a steal trade do it but do not give up alot but take alot in the process.

Not Holmgren's decision. Snider makes the calls and the old f'kr is in a full bloom panic for a Cup before he goes stiff.

Bobby Ryan for Couts should have extra coming back to us...

As funny as it may sound to some, I'd have to agree with this. I think Couts has way more natural hockey sense than Ryan. Sure, Ryan's nice and all, but I think Couts' potential is far better. If I was a Flyers fan I'd be p*ssed if a deal like that went down even-up. Or even worse, Couts+

Coots did so well his rookie season I seriously doubt Ryan could shut down the Pens team like the way Cooter did.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Does anyone really see Ryan shutting down a guy like Malkin the way Couts did? And yes, in his *rookie* season! Ryan's good for sure, but Couts was an absolute blanket on Malkin for most of the series. That's impressive at any stage, let alone in a guy's first year and first playoff series. From my perspective the kid looked like a playoff veteran in much of that series. As much as I was upset about it at the time, you gotta give credit where it's due. That kid's gonna be the real deal.