Defensemen

Guest Bertmega

Defensemen  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which defensemen would you like to see in the O&B come October>

• Matt Carle at $5.25 million
    • Ryan Sutter at $7.00 million
    • Neither and let the chips fall where they are

Ok, so with all the hard/haro/corsi stats aside (I feel like I need a pHD to even decipher that information); which of the two (Carle/Sutter), or any would you like to see on the Flyers' roster come October.

Give a short argument why, completely subjective if you like.

I just want to get a pulse on subject here.

Me personally, I would take Carle back over Sutter and make a solid effort to get him the most effective defense partner.

Yandle would be my #1 target, but much like with Nash and Ryan, I hear they are asking for way too much the Flyers can afford to give them.

At this point, I am leaning towards just giving that extra cash to Carle and hoping he plays a bit more responsibly in his own zone next year. We need someone to generate offense and move the puck from the blue line. Carle is our best option in that area.

I think Carle is just as good as Suter overall, might be a little less expensive, and resigning maintains team chemistry. He knows the opponents, their tendencies, and can deal with hateful fans and lynch mob media.

• Like 2

Ok, so with all the hard/haro/corsi stats aside (I feel like I need a pHD to even decipher that information); which of the two (Carle/Sutter), or any would you like to see on the Flyers' roster come October.

Give a short argument why, completely subjective if you like.

I just want to get a pulse on subject here.

Me personally, I would take Carle back over Sutter and make a solid effort to get him the most effective defense partner.

Carle. He's almost as good (maybe as good actually) and will be significantly cheaper.

• Like 1

suter needs to fing sign so we can keep our guy and then sign suter's former partner next year.

shea webber, he's the guy to to salary cap hell for not, for the rich man's matt carle, ryan suter.

@mojo1917

Agreed with WeBber. Next season Timmo and his 6 million plus cap hit is gone. Also is Hartnell (my guess is they re-sign him though). In any case we will have much more $$ to ink Webber.

Carle/Webber

Coburn/Mezaros

Bourdon/Schenn

That would arguably be the best back 6 in the NHL.

@mojo1917

Carle/Webber

Coburn/Mezaros

Bourdon/Schenn

That would arguably be the best back 6 in the NHL.

And I predict the great year for Bourdon even *this* coming year. I think he will be voted as the most improved player. He is my breakout Flyer candidate. I hope he makes the team.... which may be tricky.

• Like 1

suter needs to fing sign so we can keep our guy and then sign suter's former partner next year.

shea webber, he's the guy to to salary cap hell for not, for the rich man's matt carle, ryan suter.

Yeah, I'd back up the armored truck for Weber. I'd comsider a buyout of Briere (if he refuses a trade) next year and wait on Timonen's resigning to create the space. Adding the total package defenseman with hitting, skating, shooting, and endurance - and a right handed shot - would be very beneficial. Make way!

Yeah, I'd back up the armored truck for Weber. I'd comsider a buyout of Briere (if he refuses a trade) next year and wait on Timonen's resigning to create the space. Adding the total package defenseman with hitting, skating, shooting, and endurance - and a right handed shot - would be very beneficial. Make way!

Danny Briere buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2013-14: $4,333,333
  • 2014-15: $5,333,333
  • 2015-16: $833,333
  • 2016-17: $833,333

http://www.capgeek.c...=07&buyout_d=20

Edited by radoran
clarify layout of buyout info

I think Carle is just as good as Suter overall, might be a little less expensive, and resigning maintains team chemistry. He knows the opponents, their tendencies, and can deal with hateful fans and lynch mob media.

It's kind of unnerving how similar the offensive numbers are, but Suter is far better defensively.

And he blocks shots like a maniac.

It's kind of unnerving how similar the offensive numbers are, but Suter is far better defensively.

Am I reading you wrong here? http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/defensive/sort/blockedShots

Carle was 15th in the league last year in blocked shots (164).

Ryan Suter was tied for 68th (116).

• Like 1

No he doesn't. 116. Carle: 164. I expect better from you.

Suter is NOT a demigod. He's mortal, and quite frankly not necessarily better than Carle. Flyers fans hate on him for NO quantifiable reason, and will be sorely butthurt without him.

• Like 1

No he doesn't. 116. Carle: 164. I expect better from you.

Multiple lols on that one! Our posters hold each other to a higher standard, I love it

To the poll question, Suter at 7 mil is to much, and at 10-12 years like we're hearing is too long. Matty at 5.25 strikes me as a tad high, but in a weak UFA market that's to be expected. I'll take Carle, I'm not his biggest fan but I don't see 1.75 mil of difference to warrant signing Suter

Of the two, I pick Carle 11 times out of 10. The rumored length and cost of the Suter deal is just too much.

STOP SIGNING GUYS TO DECADE-LONG DEALS FFS.

That's *if* they *must* sign one or the other.

I don't see Phoenix dealing Yandle - why would they? You want to give up a Schenn and/or Couturier PLUS picks and prospects (for starters)? What does Phoenix get out of dealing Yandle to the Flyers?

I do think MAB and Gus showed promise and I can see them going with the guys they've got if Carle's going to demand bigger bucks. I think $5.25M is the top I'd go.

But, we can't be the only people noticing that Carle and Suter are quite similar players (with the caveat that Carle lost his Pronger while Suter kept his Weber) and questioning why Suter's worth $7M for 10 years...

Multiple lols on that one! Our posters hold each other to a higher standard, I love it

I think that's a much preferable way to react than the "yo - douchenozzle, youse is a idjit" from Other Forums.

• Like 1

I would not mind Carle back but I don't want to over pay for him either.....For the money, I think they can do better I.E. Coliacovo or Yandle type dman.

D pairings

Coburn/Mez

Kimmo/Schenn

_________/Bourdon or Gus with Lilja as a 7th if someone gets hurt....

Is that anything like referring to someone as a "true" fan........ :rolleyes:

For all "True Fans":

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7654198/the-writer-****-my-dad-says-why-your-team-give-damn-you

Every time our favorite team does something selfish, for purely business reasons, we take it personally. Because we want to believe that they love us as much as we love them. But they don't. They just rub up against whoever has the most money. So if we choose to be Hal Ashland, let's stop getting surprised every time we get a beer bottle to the head.

problem with yandle is you've got to give to get and i'm not wanting to give what the Phx coyotes would want to get for their best d-man. not schenn not couturier. they can f themselves.

lay low this year , the game changing players are in play next year. getzlaf , perry, webber. have some room for 100+mph righthanded shot.

Apart from what others have already said, Suter has the advantage of playing alongside Shea Weber. There is really no solid basis for assuming that Suter is better than Carle, and Carle clearly represents better value.