Ok Whats Plan B

Guest intheslot

It seems almost certain DET will go after Carle. I guess it depends on the quality, integrity and nature of the handshake deal that Carle had with Homer. I still say Carle is a Flyer when we wake up tomorrow.

Well if there was a handshake deal between Carle and Homer then I guess we'll find out in the next couple of days. I know we needed defensemen this off season but since Detroit missed out on Suter and if Carle resigns with Philly, what about trading Timonen to Detroit. It would free up $6.3 million in cap space and maybe Detroit sends a young prospect back. Just a thought. He's not getting any younger, and I know he'd have to waive his no-trade clause but he might consider playing in Detroit.

@Lindbergh31

I would do that kind of deal. DET grooms their prospects well, so they have a few, including some D (Smith, Kindl)

I'd like to see Holmgren sit back if he can't resign Carle to a reasonable deal and wait for the dust to settle. There's going to be teams that will want to make trades since the UFA market was weak or just wait until closer to the season starting and the Flyers will be able to sign players to one-year deals at a cheaper price. He doesn't have to fill out his whole team now and this way he'll get a better idea as to the status of Pronger before making a move. Right now without Carle being signed he has 7 defenseman that can play (unfortunately we have to include Lilja in that amount and 8 defensemen if you include Matt Walker).

Yes. If they match the offer, Weber stays.

I know if they match, he stays. What about something stupid like 14m 1yr? Something out of their price range, and allowing Philly to write a more reasonable new contract in a short period of time. A one year deal allows them to work on an extension immediately, under the current CBA anyway.

Screw the four first round draft picks, I hope they won't be top five anyway. Not like the Flyers can land a Weber in the draft by themselves.

Actually, what about getting further ahead and trading Mesz and two or three first rounders to Nashville for Weber's RFA rights? Getting a very good defenseman as well might be more appealing than just picks.

With so few quality free agents out there, and with teams desperate for upgrades (Detroit NEED defensemen), it will be interesting to see how loyal Carle will be. He is now plan B for several teams and given supply & demand, the offers will be juicy. The Flyers should only sign him if he takes a home town discount. But will he if say Detroit offers $6 million+ a year. If Wideman can get more than $5 mill. a year...well, you get the picture. I wish the Flyers will resist breaking the bank on Carle. We NEED to get a bonafide no. 1 defenseman like Weber, and remember Giroux is up for a new contract soon enough. They will certainly let Timo walk next summer, but what about Hartnell? They need his combination of size & grit, especially if they fail to land Ryan or Nash. Ryan is $2,7 mill less a cap hit a year, and if he can be had without trading Schenn or Couturier, I would do it. But what about the defense. Try and find some cheaper depth to survive untill next year. Maybe Poile will be desperate come trade deadline to trade Weber instead of riks losing him for nothing next summer. They can´t possibly lose BOTH Suter and Weber to unrestricted free agency without any compensation.

But my gut feeling is that Homer will overpay to keep Carle and worry about the consequences later....that is kind of his track record.

(having to initital which Schenn is becoming annoying)

haven't done it yet (or thought about it) but I can see that. haha

I agree though, we'd have to give up a lot for Ryan, but he's still my pick over who I'd want. Maybe Homer can get creative and work it out without giving up Couts or B.Schenn (now I've done it).

nashville has $30m in cap space and only 6 players left to sign. i think they could probably match any offer and i'd bet they would.

Not in cap space, in actual spending space. Just because the cap says X, doesn't mean the team can afford to spend that high. Philly has deeper pockets, let's find that line, and steal Weber. Grill up!

@OSR29 Meh....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Gervais sounds a bit like Matt Walker 2.0, this guy better be cheap. I can somehow imagine posters pondering ways to get rid of him somewhere around Christimas. I seem to recall him being kinda physical with the Isles, but don't really remember to much about him, which can be ok for a d-man sometimes.

Another vet bum that Homer will regret signing....just break in the kids dammit! We are gonna spend one of our 50 contracts on this? Why did we sign Syvret then? Homer loves him some crappy broken down old d-men....ha ha.

Another thing, if Syvret is with the Phantoms, that shows me we don't have much depth down there, not many kids knocking at the AHL door. Maybe he can go the ECHL, who knows huh?

• Like 1

I've been saying for several days, that I think Carle gets $5.5-6 from the Flyers for 4-6 years. He is their plan B....everyone I've heard/read says he loves Philly and would like to stay. Homer always overpays...so it makes sense all the way around.

I'm not getting into the debate about whether he is worth it or not, but he will get that.

DGGazoo:

You still think $5M-5-1/2M now for Matty?

Bear says the madness has elevated to a level unseen before in this league before.

Carle will want upwards of $6M -$6.5M now. Let him walk. I'd rather see the Flyers look for some developmental players, maybe even take a run at Weber next year. This is a young team with a nice future.

Take a lesson from Buffalo Ville last year..

Way it is going, there might not be a CBA if this is an indcation of the greed on the part of the players and the teams willing to spend it. All the revenues in the world wil not be enough to go around. Hard to reach a compromise with this level of greed.

Unfortunately, the fans pay for it and the fans suffer becuase of it.

BOI

i was wondering the same thing and i was thinking (purely theorizing, of course) that if Homer drives up Suter's price, he also in effect drives Carle's price out of range, which then lets him let Carle go saying, "well we wanted him but he wanted too much money. it's not our fault we couldn't keep him." which then leaves more $$$ and the door open to go all or nothing for Weber next year with Timmo off the books on that contract. just a wild guess.

mkscrewy:

Arguably going that way now.

BOI

I hope you're right sheep-boy. At least I think I do. If what people are saying is true, that Suter got 13 years at 7.5 per, wow. No way will the Flyers give Carle anything close to that, no matter what the statistics say. And it sounds like Detroit made a similar offer to Suter, will they now go after Carle? It's going to be very interesting to see what Carle gets.

Jack:

Wow.

13 years. $98M. $7.5M.

I see Matty Carle cashing in. Bye bye Philly. He will look good in Detroit red.

Better at that price as a Wing than a Flyer.

Insanity.

BOI

How can a barely relevant league pay players so much money without growing the sport? It seems like they're trying to bleed the few fans they have dry instead of grabbing more exposure. The NHL is a far cry from the NFL...

• Like 1

As soon as the Phoenix "situation" is established, Doan will either be a Flyer or a Coyote. After that, there is nothing.

Truthfully, I am ok with that. Even the Carle situation.

There is the Nash thing, but, I don't want to gut the team to get him.

There is the Nash thing, but, I don't want to gut the team to get him.

I feel the same way, and I hope the Flyers do too. And I am actually of an opinion that they will likely go to the camp with THIS team. Carle will probably sign with Detroit, and after that, there may not be anything out there worth spending money on.

It is frustarting that the Flyers could not really improve the team. In fact, the team is weakened compared to the team that lost to the Devils in the second round. But there were not many options this summer, and that basically was the determinng factor, I am sure. Nash and Ryan will cost way too much and the bottom line, the Flyers will just not be better off. To give up so much...... and not just somebody, but the young talent for just one player is just suisidal. And let's be realistic for a second: the Flyers are not in a good position to compete for the Cup next season.... not with aging Timonen anchoring the weak defense, and not with suspect goaltending with even more suspect goaltending back-up.

I think they should just go to camp with what they have....... if for no other reason that to give the kids a unique opportunity to develop. After this season, we will get a much better idea what Couturier's and Schenn's *real* values are. And then, the Flyers will re-evaluate where they are and with Timonen likely off the books, make a big splash in free agency or, if necessary, make a tbig rade.

Again, it sounds dooming, but I really think Homer cornered himself to a certain degree with trading Bob and JVR so there is nothing left to use as viable trading chips. I really think trading JVR was a hasty, unjustified, ill-advised decision. What was the rush? It's one thing if we got some tremendous return. Why not give JVR another chance? Trading Bob was even more puzzling... It really looked like the Flyers were more interested in helping Bob than helping themselves. But what's done is done, no sense complaining about that now.

The only thing the Flyers can hope for is the youngsters grow by leaps and bounds and make up for the lack of no significant additons. That and Bryz playing with any kind of consistancy.