Per Sportsnet: Doan options Phoe, Pens, Detroit, Vancouver

Guest jammer2

@Polaris922

there wasn't a lot of sense in offering Guerin a contract at 40, so it is not like doan is in the same situation as guerin at all.

i did notice however you didn't address my point about having another older voice in the room to help Sid, this isn't typical flyer's fan hating on crosby, i meant it as a legitimate question and point. the team did play better when there was a quality veteran north american hockey player with Sidney, 87 has the skills to make anyone into a 20 goal scorer but i'm not so sure he has the right mental make up to lead a team. is he too competitive to back away from himself too self focused to see what his teammates need from him ?

the melt down in the playoffs started with him and permeated the whole roster , that didn't happen in the cup years and i think it is because there was another voice in the room to tell the young guys to cool it and play the game. this past year no one did that, they followed Crosby's lead and we know the result.

a guy like doan , who's had to be the best player for crappy teams for most of his career can help with steadying the room he's had to lift guys and cajole guys to get into the playoffs ,having that experience on your team can only benefit a young leader. sometimes the best player doesn't have the right tools mentally to lead a group of men, look at a ovechkin for exhibit A.

I would try to find the answer in training camp from within.

@jammer2

THIS!

Actually every thread this off-season about "can we get this guy" should be answered with that.....it's that kind of off-season folks, I know we're used to Clarkie and Homer going all combination ADD/Tourettes trying to sign and trade away the future for a present that never materializes, but this should be the season of finding the answer from within....sounds kinda Zen too.....

Bryz has the same number of championship rings that MAF does: One

Not as a starter. Am I wrong that he was the backup and playing 4 games? Has a lesser shine in my eyes. I think he's really a good goaltender. I think you'll have a better year out of him. I just think MAF is better. *shrugs*. Maybe I've got blinders on in this case...

@Lindbergh31

Agree about difficulty matching against a third center of his caliber. He was WAY overrated defensively though so I think Sutter will make them tougher to play against defensively though without the same threat of a counter-attack.

@flyerrod

Agreed they both stunk, Bryz just was the shinier turd as it were.

@mojo1917

Agreed a veteran presence is helpful. I think Sid is a good leader for the team, but the more veteran presence the better as long as the skill set isn't diminished. I think that series, heck the entire season against the Flyers was a result if the 2012 Pens playing the 2011 Flyers instead of your younger, more skilled group you have now. I think they geared up for a brawl and when it wasn't the old style Flyers fighting it, they tried to make it one. I've never been so disappointed in how the Pens presented themselves in a series. At times it was downright embarrassing. Maybe a Guerin would have prevented that. Maybe Doan could too... But I still want a quicker skilled winger like Ryan or Nash on his wing. I've wanted that from the start... Hossa disappointed then left... Neal is Malkin's now... I want one for Christmas!

I understand why some folks thought Staal should've been kept before Crosby, all based on the likelihood of injury... But you can't seriously think Staal is a better center than Crosby or Malkin?!

As for MAF he had one really bad series ... You can say Bryz outshines him there if you want but that's about it. Fleury's Stanley Cup ring has a little more sparkle than Mr. Universe's empty hand. Lol ;)

Check again homey Bryz has a ring too.

Well the Flyers shut Malkinstien down pretty much and didn't have the same luck with Staal.

Check again homey Bryz has a ring too.

Well the Flyers shut Malkinstien down pretty much and didn't have the same luck with Staal.

My apologies for misrepresenting my thoughts. Bryz does have a ring as a backup who played four postseason games. I should've clarified my meaning of "as a starter". I'd forgotten he'd backed up Giguere till after I posted.

As for Malkin vs. Staal... Yes they used Couturier on Malkin, and he did a great job of making sure Malkin's postseason struggles continued. Staal skated against who?? He's the third center so he doesn't garner the respect the other two get. He stink defensively in that series, but scored well because the other two were more important for your boys to contain. I know Jordan Staal is a good second line center... But to even hint at him being better than Crosby or Malkin in the talent pool is ridiculous.

Edited by Polaris922

Doan doesn't want to play with the guy who turned his franchise around and got him to the playoffs for the first time in five years because he wants to prove he can do it himself and not be in Bryz's shadow.

09/10 for sure can be mostly attributed to Breezy for the regular season success.

10/11 it was a combination of factors- for regular season success.

In his 09/10 vezina finalist year, he was "average" at best and lost in the first round.

In 10/11, he totally imploded. 0-4 with the Mr. Softie ice cream TRUCKS set up around his net.

We know 11/12 regular season. The 11/12 post season can be attributed to a completely overrated playoff goaly: MAF. Win as a team, lose as a team- sure. But without Fleury letting in 20 goals in three games, the glaring spotlight of the atrocity that is Breezy in the playoffs would have been exacerbated 10 fold.

He did redeem himself in the Devils series- but truthfully, with a decent goalie, Pitts should have one that first round.

So, in the end, Doan does not want to play with a subaverage playoff goalie. Thus why you won't see him play for Pitts either. Vancouver is where he will go. I am surprised Rangerks were not on the short list as they would be a good home for him as well. Maybe he does not want to play for a d i c k coach.

I know Jordan Staal is a good second line center... But to even hint at him being better than Crosby or Malkin in the talent pool is ridiculous.

damnit....i agree with you on something.......I might hate both of those pukes (not punks) with a passion but I still have to give them credit for their skills... <_<

damnit....i agree with you on something.......I might hate both of those pukes (not punks) with a passion but I still have to give them credit for their skills... <_<

It specifically states in the forum rules that you and I are NOT allowed to agree. You'll have to change your opinion! ;)

09/10 for sure can be mostly attributed to Breezy for the regular season success.

10/11 it was a combination of factors- for regular season success.

In his 09/10 vezina finalist year, he was "average" at best and lost in the first round.

In 10/11, he totally imploded. 0-4 with the Mr. Softie ice cream TRUCKS set up around his net.

We know 11/12 regular season. The 11/12 post season can be attributed to a completely overrated playoff goaly: MAF. Win as a team, lose as a team- sure. But without Fleury letting in 20 goals in three games, the glaring spotlight of the atrocity that is Breezy in the playoffs would have been exacerbated 10 fold.

He did redeem himself in the Devils series- but truthfully, with a decent goalie, Pitts should have one that first round.

So, in the end, Doan does not want to play with a subaverage playoff goalie. Thus why you won't see him play for Pitts either. Vancouver is where he will go. I am surprised Rangerks were not on the short list as they would be a good home for him as well. Maybe he does not want to play for a d i c k coach.

That whole bit was in jest - in context with the first, deleted, line about "speculation"??

My apologies for misrepresenting my thoughts. Bryz does have a ring as a backup who played four postseason games. I should've clarified my meaning of "as a starter". I'd forgotten he'd backed up Giguere till after I posted.

He didn't "play" four postseason games, he started in the first four games of the Western Conference Quarterfinals, going 3-1, 2.25, .922 when Mr. Conn Smythe had to leave the team in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for "personal issues." Mr. Conn Smythe probably doesn't have a ring or a Conn Smythe if Bryzgalov doesn't win those *starts*.

If you're going to say something about an "empty hand" you should be sure there isn't a ring on the hand and then at least check to see whether Bryz had more of an impact than Jonathan Bernier before sounding off wrong again.

^^^THIS^^^ somehow (sadly) went largely unnoticed. Man, that's so wrong, yet SO hilarious! :lol:

I really thought there were more southpark fans here........

North American Man Boy Lovers Association for anyone that missed the joke

I really thought there were more southpark fans here........

North American Man Boy Lovers Association for anyone that missed the joke

You're besmirching the good name of the North American Marlon Brando Look-Alikes!

He didn't "play" four postseason games, he started in the first four games of the Western Conference Quarterfinals, going 3-1, 2.25, .922 when Mr. Conn Smythe had to leave the team in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for "personal issues." Mr. Conn Smythe probably doesn't have a ring or a Conn Smythe if Bryzgalov doesn't win those *starts*.

If you're going to say something about an "empty hand" you should be sure there isn't a ring on the hand and then at least check to see whether Bryz had more of an impact than Jonathan Bernier before sounding off wrong again.

How is saying he played four games and he was the backup wrong? Did he play four games? Yes... Did he do so because Giguere wasn't there? Which makes him the backup? Yes... Good grief. You guys tear Bryz apart. I've said repeatedly I think he's better than his playoff play I just think MAF has an edge on him and you act like I took his first born child? I corrected my original post with my intended meaning. There were no inaccuracies in my clarification. I appreciate your added details, but the song remains the same.

How is saying he played four games and he was the backup wrong? Did he play four games? Yes... Did he do so because Giguere wasn't there? Which makes him the backup? Yes... Good grief. You guys tear Bryz apart. I've said repeatedly I think he's better than his playoff play I just think MAF has an edge on him and you act like I took his first born child? I corrected my original post with my intended meaning. There were no inaccuracies in my clarification. I appreciate your added details, but the song remains the same.

HAHAHA...you know how it is with a brother or sister we can give them hell...but when someone else besides one of us do we are going to come to their defense...

..i'm sure no harm is done and Rads may be like me and reads through the post and when he sees something post a response before finishing the rest of the thread before posting.

Not saying that is what is happening and not trying to put words in his mouth.

I do it a lot sometimes most times i'll repeat something that has been stated because i didn't read the rest of the thread before posting.

My reason is my A.D.D. if i finish reading the thread before posting sometimes i'll have forgotten what in the hell i was gonna say...

...what cha gonna do it happens.

But you did come back and clear it up.

Again, you need to stop conflating posters on here just because they are Flyer fans. The reason I KNOW what the Real Story is with Bryz is that I'm one of the few who has to explain what it was exactly that the Flyers saw in him when they were signing him. I give criticism when warranted and I take issue with people who assert that a Vezina finalist is incapable of stopping a determined two on one from a determined mite squad.0

Just for the record - STARTING and WINNING games in the Cup Playoffs is more important than riding the pine and picking up some garbage time. My comparison, made explicitly, was with Bernier from this season. Bernier has a ring. He did nothing to earn it. Bryzgalov has a ring. He won three games to earn it.

The song remains the same.

HAHAHA...you know how it is with a brother or sister we can give them hell...but when someone else besides one of us do we are going to come to their defense...

..i'm sure no harm is done and Rads may be like me and reads through the post and when he sees something post a response before finishing the rest of the thread before posting.

But you did come back and clear it up.

He did correct himself. And his correction was still wrong.

No harm done.

@OccamsRazor

I work 12 hour night shifts so I sometimes catch myself not getting the whole picture or befuddling it in a 4am haze myself. Seeing it all on an iPhone doesn't help either. I find the few times I get to a computer it all looks so much better!

@radoran

My correction was not wrong. He was backup. He played four games. You said yourself 3-1. That adds up to 4. I never asserted he couldn't play, nor did I say he only got garbage time. I think you are so used to defending him you're putting other people's words in my mouth.

My point remains that being backup... Whether he contributed or not, isn't quite the same as being the go to guy all season and throughout the playoffs. Yes he won 3 games in the playoffs. I'm not slamming the guy for not being starter. I just think it will always mean more to win a ring as the starting goalie than as a backup.

As I've said in other posts I like Bryz. I thought he was a great signing for your team. I watched his highlights in Phoenix when he played there. I'm shocked he didn't have a great season in Philly. He still beat my boys in the series. And I'll be surprised if he isn't his old self this year.

I'm allowed to think MAF is a better goalie. And I'm allowed to think MAF winning a ring as the starting goaltender is a higher accomplishment than Bryz playing 4 games as the backup to Giguere. I'm not arguing with your opinion, I'm simply stating my own.

Edited by Polaris922

Again, you need to stop conflating posters on here just because they are Flyer fans. The reason I KNOW what the Real Story is with Bryz is that I'm one of the few who has to explain what it was exactly that the Flyers saw in him when they were signing him. I give criticism when warranted and I take issue with people who assert that a Vezina finalist is incapable of stopping a determined two on one from a determined mite squad.0

Just for the record - STARTING and WINNING games in the Cup Playoffs is more important than riding the pine and picking up some garbage time. My comparison, made explicitly, was with Bernier from this season. Bernier has a ring. He did nothing to earn it. Bryzgalov has a ring. He won three games to earn it.

The song remains the same.

Jim Carey WON a Vezina...

@OccamsRazor

I work 12 hour night shifts so I sometimes catch myself not getting the whole picture or befuddling it in a 4am haze myself. Seeing it all on an iPhone doesn't help either. I find the few times I get to a computer it all looks so much better!

@radoran

My correction was not wrong. He was backup. He played four games. You said yourself 3-1. That adds up to 4. I never asserted he couldn't play, nor did I say he only got garbage time. I think you are so used to defending him you're putting other people's words in my mouth.

My point remains that being backup... Whether he contributed or not, isn't quite the same as being the go to guy all season and throughout the playoffs. Yes he won 3 games in the playoffs. I'm not slamming the guy for not being starter. I just think it will always mean more to win a ring as the starting goalie than as a backup.

As I've said in other posts I like Bryz. I thought he was a great signing for your team. I watched his highlights in Phoenix when he played there. I'm shocked he didn't have a great season in Philly. He still beat my boys in the series. And I'll be surprised if he isn't his old self this year.

I'm allowed to think MAF is a better goalie. And I'm allowed to think MAF winning a ring as the starting goaltender is a higher accomplishment than Bryz playing 4 games as the backup to Giguere. I'm not arguing with your opinion, I'm simply stating my own.

I feel for you use to work 12 hours nights 2 years ago and did it for 8 years, had to get on day shift to spend time with my new born baby girl who is now going on 15 months old...love being with my family.

I hate 12 hour shifts makes for a long day, but the plus side is when you add my time up i only work half a year and still make 55k...

...not to shabby for just a high school education and good money for here in South Carolina.

I feel for you use to work 12 hours nights 2 years ago and did it for 8 years, had to get on day shift to spend time with my new born baby girl who is now going on 15 months old...love being with my family.

I hate 12 hour shifts makes for a long day, but the plus side is when you add my time up i only work half a year and still make 55k...

...not to shabby for just a high school education and good money for here in South Carolina.

Kids are the world. I've got four myself. I like the nights so I can be home during the day. Good to hear you're doing well. Too many people aren't these days.