Now let's not be hypocritical...

Guest Polaris922

@radoran

<<< Note the difference between HOW the Cup-winning Greatest Player in the Game Captain of All That Is Pittsburgh says "we don't like them" while explaining why his lack of composure has his favored team down 3-0 and then compare to Claude, just emerging as a great player leading his team for the first time into the playoffs says his comments. >>>

This again? Yes - Saint Claudia (thank you Pens fans for that one) is such a great leader that he "led" the Flyers to victory over a team who's netminder had a save % that wouldn't even make a good batting average then "led" his heavily favored team to a 4-1 loss to the outmatched Devils....barking at referees and whacking heads along the way. ;)

Before we get into the "he's not the captain" thing...he wears the "A". That means in the absence of Pronger (the "C") he is the "C". Good thing Briere (the other "A") kept his wits about him that series. ;)

@radoran ha ha....Claude has a snarky type of comedic overtone, all in good fun (actually smiling while saying it)....and Crosby looks like he is gonna break down in tears, a statement made in utter and complete frustration. No offense Pens fans, but I would not have posted this. There only similiarity is the topic, the delivery is not even close. Claude comes off as a young rising star who handles the press well, a jovial interveiw....and Crosby comes off as a petulant child...again...wow.

If you have to drill down as far as facial expressions and overtones to come up with a defense here then it's a pretty weak case right off the bat. ;) Not quite Zapruder-film-like on all those hits over the years (we are all guilty of that)...but close.

But what's not to like about the Flyers?

Claude wasn't handed the keys to the NHL before he'd ever played a single game. As the (horse) "face" of the league Crosby is supposed to be more diplomatic. I honestly don't care that Crosby said that, or that Giroux did. Crosby had a total meltdown in that series. That, I enjoyed. I imagined Sid stomping into the lockerroom after the final game, flopping on the floor, fists and feet flailing away. tears streaming down his cheeks as he throws a temper tantrum like no other in NHL history, screaming "Where were the refs! Where were those rascally refs! I'm supposed to win!!!!"

(It's highly unlikely this happened, but don't ruin it for me OK?)

Claude wasn't asked to help save a dying league as an 18 year old either. Most athletes wilt under such pressure. Crosby has been more than admirable in that role.

Claude finally faced the same kind of pressure against the Devils. His reaction wasn't all that good. I give him a pass...but if Crosby gets killed, so does Claude.

Only fair.

@B21 There is nothing weak about the post, it's as clear as the morning sun on a tropical beach....one is a laughing jovial interveiw, one looks like a young child spilt his morning cereal and refuses to get on the school bus because of it.

• Like 1

@B21 There is nothing weak about the post, it's as clear as the morning sun on a tropical beach....one is a laughing jovial interveiw, one looks like a young child spilt his morning cereal and refuses to get on the school bus because of it.

Just because he was laughing doesn't mean he wasn't serious about what he said. If Crosby let out a laugh or smiled after his "I don't like them..." the reaction would be noooooooooooooo different.

Just because he was laughing doesn't mean he wasn't serious about what he said. If Crosby let out a laugh or smiled after his "I don't like them..." the reaction would be noooooooooooooo different.

you know, i'm not so sure about that, depending upon what followed... if it's something along the lines of acknowledging the rivalry, or the familiarity twixt the teams and how many times they've played the last month and a half, i might think of it differently.

Claude wasn't asked to help save a dying league as an 18 year old either. Most athletes wilt under such pressure. Crosby has been more than admirable in that role.

Claude finally faced the same kind of pressure against the Devils. His reaction wasn't all that good. I give him a pass...but if Crosby gets killed, so does Claude.

Only fair.

I watched a lot of Crosby when he played for the Oceanic. I knew he was going to be a really good player. I knew he helped save the Pens franchise. But he saved a dying league? Really?

Actually looks the same to me... Homer glasses at work there bud

I watched a lot of Crosby when he played for the Oceanic. I knew he was going to be a really good player. I knew he helped save the Pens franchise. But he saved a dying league? Really?

It must have been that face.

crosby%2Bcrying.gif

I disagree completely here...I hate the horse-faced boy with a passion but he could have seriously lessened the affect of his statement had if he delivered it with less of a crying tone(and it was a crying tone). I still would dislike him but it would have been a whole lot less dislike if he had manned up and given any credit for their play versus the statement he made.

I didn't see a crying tone. I heard a LOT of frustration in his words. With the way they'd played and the media attention. He was fresh off the ice after a bad loss and clearly unhappy with the situation.

The simple point is its apples to apples. If Crosby is going to take heat for what he said, Giroux should too. And Laviolette's classless stick throwing and temper tantrum. Really? Upset because our fourth line was out in a game that was clearly lost? Isn't that how most teams protect their star players to save them up for the next game? Especially in a game that's already beyond the refs.

You guys are knowledgable hockey fans, not run of the mill sewer swimmers that just swear by all that is orange & black. How often do you hear ANY intelligent hockey captain address opposing fans with "we don't like them"?

I like Giroux. I LIKE that he said it. But I also like what Crosby said too. But it is what it is. It's actually lower class to insult fans than opposing players in my eyes. But it just shows the rivalry that's there.... And I love it.

Upset because our fourth line was out in a game that was clearly lost?

So be it....That means no complaining when(and I do mean when the Pens are ahead of the Flyers) we hit Crosby with our 4th line. I am sure everyone will call for Rinaldo to be suspended for life when it happens even if it is a legal check just because we put our 4th line out late in a meaningless game. I mean we have Bryzgalov in goal so there is no doubt in my mind that the next season played your Pens will have at least one blow out due to horrendously weak tending on Bryz's part.

So be it....That means no complaining when(and I do mean when the Pens are ahead of the Flyers) we hit Crosby with our 4th line. I am sure everyone will call for Rinaldo to be suspended for life when it happens even if it is a legal check just because we put our 4th line out late in a meaningless game. I mean we have Bryzgalov in goal so there is no doubt in my mind that the next season played your Pens will have at least one blow out due to horrendously weak tending on Bryz's part.

As long as its a clean hit you'll get no complaints from us. Especially if it's playoff hockey. Happens all year long in away games when coaches juggle for matchups anyway. Most teams avoid it just to prevent another goal, but I didn't see Vitale's hit on Briere as dirty or even particularly vicious. Just a clean open ice heads up hit.

@Polaris922

Personally, I thought the hit was clean albeit late in a lopsided game and kind of cheap (not illegal). I can tell you right now that I can count the number of Pittsburgh fans on one hand that will not take issue when someone does the same to Crosby for the same reason Vitale did it to Briere.....just because he could.....

@Polaris922

Personally, I thought the hit was clean albeit late in a lopsided game and kind of cheap (not illegal). I can tell you right now that I can count the number of Pittsburgh fans on one hand that will not take issue when someone does the same to Crosby for the same reason Vitale did it to Briere.....just because he could.....

chances are crosby is not on the ice in that situation. if he is, blysma should be fired on the spot.

i was ticked off by that hit as i thought it was message sending plain and simple, laviolette puts out his second line on the road and blysma responded with his fourth, that's what dan was looking for there and vitale did his job. i believe that was also the game where vitale went knee to knee on grossmann, now, that play was fast and maybe accidental but still affected how our team finished the year. so my anger over the briere play was cumulative based on prior events.

@flyercanuck

<<< I watched a lot of Crosby when he played for the Oceanic. I knew he was going to be a really good player. >>>

Not relevant to the conversation.

<<< I knew he helped save the Pens franchise. But he saved a dying league? Really? >>>

Yes. Really. Where was the league his rookie year. Coming off a lockout and lost season. Everything down across the boards. The NHL hung their hat on him and it worked. Period.

The Flyers handed Giroux the keys to their Ferrari by way of trading Richards and Carter. Giroux had the benefit of being eased into his role and shortly thereafter cracked under the pressure. No other way to describe his meltdown against the Devils.

So when considering the circumstances when Crosby entered the league, yeah...it's not absurd to say he helped save a dying league. Not saying the NHL would have went away entirely.

I disagree completely here...I hate the horse-faced boy with a passion but he could have seriously lessened the affect of his statement had if he delivered it with less of a crying tone(and it was a crying tone). I still would dislike him but it would have been a whole lot less dislike if he had manned up and given any credit for their play versus the statement he made.

Credit for your play? You played almost as bad! LOL. The only twam you would have beaten in that first round was us. Would you feel better if he said the Flyers won because Bryz sucked less than Fleury?

Nothing more than spinning/reading into his comments to hate him even more. Aziz was spot on...just hate him. No need to make up things along the way.

He doesn't like you. That's it. Who cares if he said it.

Edited by B21

@Polaris922

I can count on the same number of hands the number of Flyers fans who would have an issue with their guy delivering a similar hit at a similar time.

I titled the topic correctly. If you're going to go after Crosby for his comments and losing composure, you have to do the same with Giroux and Laviolette. *shrug*. In the immortal words of Foghorn Leghorn... If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... Boy, you got a duck.

• Like 1

@B21 I believe the one thing I overlooked when comparing the two interviews was the timing. One (Sid's) was right after a playoff war in which they lost...although I don't know when Giroux's interview was, it did not look like a heat of the battle kind of thing, maybe an off season training day or something like that....that factor can certainly account for Crosby's frustration level and coming off a bit childish....and why G was so laid back and laughing.

@flyercanuck

<<< I watched a lot of Crosby when he played for the Oceanic. I knew he was going to be a really good player. >>>

Not relevant to the conversation.

<<< I knew he helped save the Pens franchise. But he saved a dying league? Really? >>>

Yes. Really. Where was the league his rookie year. Coming off a lockout and lost season. Everything down across the boards. The NHL hung their hat on him and it worked. Period.

The Flyers handed Giroux the keys to their Ferrari by way of trading Richards and Carter. Giroux had the benefit of being eased into his role and shortly thereafter cracked under the pressure. No other way to describe his meltdown against the Devils.

So when considering the circumstances when Crosby entered the league, yeah...it's not absurd to say he helped save a dying league. Not saying the NHL would have went away entirely.

We're talking about Crosby right? My point was I'm not in the "hate Crosby cause he's a Pen" category. I followed him likely before 99.999999999% of Pens fans even knew who he was. But he didn't make me follow the NHL. And I'm sure the Flyers would have been just fine without Sidney Crosby in the league. Living near Toronto, the Leafs would be fine if you put a bunch of accountants in blue and white on skates. Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings, Hawks, Habs etc all would still be here if Crosby had never played. Pittsburgh wouldn't. And maybe a few other teams that shouldn't be there anyway. So no, he didn't save the league. Hartnell did.