Game #1 Roster & Lines

Digityman

@flyercanuck

Wow. Don't you fear that he's only looking great in camp relative to the inactivity of some other players? Once everyone gets up to speed, game shape and has the timing worked out, he will start to look like a guy who should be in Junior still, but it will be too late...

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him. He continues to impress. He obviously plays a very complete game. You still want Maatta, lol?

The 5 game tryout will go a long way toward determining just that. If he looks good (or at least, not out of place) against the Pens, Sabres, Devils, Rangers, and Panthers, then the kid has earned a spot.

• Like 1

@Podein25

I'm sure after a few games they'll be able to make a clearer decision. Like I've said, I trust Holmgren and his scouts when it comes to drafting in the first round. It sure would be nice to have a bluechip prospect on defence though. We're almost overloaded in talent at the forward position, and pretty weak at D.

What are the chances they expose the kid in an effort to secure a solid Dman? Or even make Briere a little more expendable? I would almost guess the latter of the two. I like Briere, but Giroux needs a contract after next season. I would imagine they are going to want to lock him up ASAP especially with the cap going down next season.

What are the chances they expose the kid in an effort to secure a solid Dman? Or even make Briere a little more expendable? I would almost guess the latter of the two. I like Briere, but Giroux needs a contract after next season. I would imagine they are going to want to lock him up ASAP especially with the cap going down next season.

I still find it hard to believe that the Flyers would ask Briere to wave his NMC. It's not only what he does on the ice but off the ice for the Flyers. He groomed Giroux and is now working on Couturier.

Sometimes that stuff has more meaning than anything else. Just saying.

• Like 4

At this point last year, I would not have said this, but what are the chances that B Schenn gets moved? He's a RFA after next season, and his cap hit is $3/1 million. Laughton could "replace" him, and Schenn's money could be used elsewhere. .

From all reports, Brayden has a much higher ceiling than Laughton. Schenn is definitely a guy I keep around (unless, you know, he's involved in a swap for a franchise/#1 defenseman).

• Like 1

At this point last year, I would not have said this, but what are the chances that B Schenn gets moved? He's a RFA after next season, and his cap hit is $3/1 million. Laughton could "replace" him, and Schenn's money could be used elsewhere. .

We moved Richards and got the younger version of him in Schenn supposedly.

It would be nice to see if he develops before shipping him off I think.

• Like 1

(unless, you know, he's involved in a swap for a franchise/#1 defenseman).

Shoulda been clearerer....I would only trade him for that type of talent as well. With Kimmo gone, I could see another Weber type move, but this time, via the trade route.

@DaGreatGazoo

Well anybody can be moved these days, but I don't see the point of moving Schenn. We're just scratching the surface with him. He was brought along slowly and properly by the Kings, was good last year for us, had a good playoff, and now comes in with another 1/2 year in the AHL. He's just ready to take off. You watch.

• Like 1

@Podein25

Believe me, I'm not advocating trading him! I'm just not sure how we pay him and Giroux and Cooter(after next season), and then pay up for Laughton the following year. In addition, we have to replace Kimmo next year, so I'm thinking they go get a top 4 guy($$$). And after 2014, Meszaros is up.

I think he's going to be a good 'un as well!!

Unlike Homer, I am trying to think ahead. :ph34r:

Giroux only makes 3.75 now.

How much more than that do you think Schenn and Cooter are going to draw?

Claude will need a new contract at the same time they will. That will make things difficult for a year because Danny will still be on the big fatty for another season.

Plus Wayne will cost twice as much in two years as well wen his new contract kicks in.

Timmo's 6.33 comes off the books (even if they resign him, it'll be for less) this year, so that'll be a help.

PLUS they'll be able to buy out two players this summer.

The good news is we have this season to figure out who gets bought out and we have this season and next to figure out who gets traded to make room for their bigger new contracts.

At the end of the day, worst case scenario, they're both great and we can't afford both, so we trade one for a Goalie or D man as was stated. If only one's great, we keep the other.

Either way, I don't see either one making more than 4 million on their new contracts unless they have 93 point seasons themselves. I think Homer can make up that 4 million additional somewhere. Even if they decide to keep Timmo and he stays for a more affordable 3.5 million next year, then they're halfway there (after paying Simmonds).

Believe me, I'm not advocating trading him! I'm just not sure how we pay him and Giroux and Cooter(after next season),

I anticipate Braydon and Coots to make somewhere around 2.5 each, so 5.0-5.5 for the both of them seems reasonable. Unless one or both break out pts wise, then we better have some more cash freed up, a good thing of course, but cap ramifications up the ying yang.