Game #1 Roster & Lines

Digityman

Who's injured? Who's available?

Lots has happened in 6 months, so where do the Flyers stand?

I'll take a stab at the starting lineup. I'm just going off of memory.

Line #1 - Hartnell - Giroux - Fedotenko

Line #2 - Schenn - Briere - Voracek

Line #3 - Simmonds - Couturier - Talbot

Line #3 - Harry Z - Read - Wellwood

Shelley - Scratch

Rinaldo - Phantoms

D Pairing #1 - Coburn - Gustafsson

D Pairing #2 - Timonen - Schenn

D Pairing #3 - Syvret - Grossman

D #7 - Lilja

Bourdon - Out concussion

Meszaros - Out Achilles - out indefinitely.

Pronger - Out indefinitely

Goalie - Bryz

Goalie #2 - Leighton

Heeter - Phantoms

Line #1 - Hartnell - Giroux - Fedotenko

Line #2 - Schenn - Briere - Voracek

Line #3 - Simmonds - Couturier - Talbot

Line #3 - Harry Z - Read - Wellwood

I would flip Talbot and Simmonds (Simmonds is a RW and Talbot is a left handed shot and can more to LW). I would also have to put Voracek on G's wing and not Fedotenko (like the player, but I don't think his skill is sufficient for first line). In fact, I see rosey more as a third line wing at this stage of his career. I would be willing to move Wellwood to second line wing.

I don't see Fedotenko on the first line. I think they'll give Jake a shot at #1 RW, Simmonds RW on the 2nd line. Rusty on the 3rd line. Not at all sure bout the defense, the whole thing looks shaky to me. All of a sudden I'm remembering how much I didn't like Homer's moves (or lack thereof) after the season. I'm not sure if Gus is ready to play on the top pair. Coburn/Timo would be the obvious choice, I suspect we'll see that (especially with the limited TC). A short season might keep Timo from wearing down too much. I think 2nd pair may start out as Grossman/Gus, waiting to see how Schenn looks.

• Like 1

D #7 - Lilja

Gervais should be in there somewhere, then I guess Syvret / Lilja = 7 / 8 man, though personally I'd rather see Syvret get Gervais' minutes. I saw him play on the island a bunch of times - I hope he didn't cost us much (?).

Yeah, I thought the plan was to put Voracek on the 1st line. Just read that Meszaros is waiting on the doctors to give him the go ahead to play.

I thought Gus was out with an injury. Oh well there's always Bruno Gervais. I agree with Jack, I think the blushin russian is 3rd line material.

Welcome back hockey!

Still in shock about the lockout, but it's hokey time. So, here goes:

Line #1: Hartnell Giroux Read

Line #2: Schenn Briere Vorachuk

Line #3 Fedotenko Couturier Simmons

Line #4 Rinaldo Talbot Harry Z

Defence

1st pairing Coburn Gustafsson

2nd paring Timonen Schenn

3rd pairing Grossman Mezaros

Goalie Bryz

• Like 1

I think Harry Z will remain of the Phantoms, he really hasn't played that well. Rinaldo will be a given on the fourth line.

Read has played well in Switzerland and will easily play on the second or third line. Sestito has played great in England.

Hartnell Giroux Voracek

Read Briere Simmonds

Schenn Couturier Fedotenko

Rinaldo Talbot Sestito

as for the defense I think there will be a fair amount of experimentation on pairings.

Coburn Timonen

Grossman Gervais

Schenn Meszaros or Lilja if Mez isn't ready

• Like 1

@Vanflyer From what I've been reading, Wellwood making this team is not a for sure deal. His play has been horrible in the AHL, little scoring and never got untracked. Maybe he gets the nod on a fourth line, but even that is iffy. He still has his speed going for him, hopefully that keeps him at the NHL level and then he can get his game straightened out.

@Vanflyer From what I've been reading, Wellwood making this team is not a for sure deal. His play has been horrible in the AHL, little scoring and never got untracked. Maybe he gets the nod on a fourth line, but even that is iffy. He still has his speed going for him, hopefully that keeps him at the NHL level and then he can get his game straightened out.

Interesting. I did not know that. I guess perhaps he is a big casualty of the lock-out (given how well he performed down the stretch for the Flyers). I still love his blazing speed.

Here is my take on the lineup:

Hartnell Giroux Voracek

Schenn Briere Read

Simmonds Couturier Fedotenko

Rinaldo Talbot Sestito

Coburn Timonen

Grossman Gervais

Schenn Manning or anyone of our injured D

I'd really like to see Manning get another shot with this shortened season. I think he showed some promise and with the injuries we have now we can give him that shot. I also think Read needs to be on one of the top two lines.

Yeah, I thought the plan was to put Voracek on the 1st line. Just read that Meszaros is waiting on the doctors to give him the go ahead to play.

I thought Gus was out with an injury. Oh well there's always Bruno Gervais. I agree with Jack, I think the blushin russian is 3rd line material.

Welcome back hockey!

Pure gold!

I like the offense. I really do.

The Defense is appalling and the Goaltending is an utter catastrophe.

Now I know why Snider wanted the lockout so badly.

D #7 - Lilja

Bourdon - Out concussion

Meszaros - Out Achilles - out indefinitely.

Pronger - Out indefinitely

Goalie - Bryz

Goalie #2 - Leighton

• 2 weeks later...

According to CSN these are the lines (I think) they stated as expected for game 1

Schenn Giroux Hartnell

Read Couturier Voracek

Talbot Laughton Simonds

Fedotenko Wellwood Rinaldo

Coburn Grossman

Schenn Timonen

Meszaros Foster

According to CSN these are the lines (I think) they stated as expected for game 1

Schenn Giroux Hartnell

Read Couturier Voracek

Talbot Laughton Simonds

Coburn Grossman

Schenn Timonen

Meszaros Foster

Good to see that Wellwood played well enough to earn a spot, at least temporarily. And too bad Z has been in the doghouse down with the Phantoms. That dude has wheels and impressed me last year. More than I expected.

I guess the big question will be which one of Laughton and Wellwood goes when Briere returns.

Some may think it's not worth 'burning' a year off Laughton's contract, but I say why not? If the guy is ready, looks like he belongs with the big boys, then a 48 game sched might be perfect. No mid-season lull, and he has a step up on many NHLers who weren't active during the lockout.

Bring on the dirty Pens!!

Schenn Giroux Hartnell

Read Couturier Voracek

Talbot Laughton Simonds

Coburn Grossman

Schenn Timonen

Meszaros Foster

I like that very much. I couldn't figure out why people had Briere and Gus in their lineups since both are hurt. Also, it was already discussed that Schenn would get a shot on the 1st line at wing. Oh well.

I could see Fedotenko and Talbot moving around a bit.

Laughton will get his 5 game look by the sounds of it. Still can't see him staying...

They talked about Laughton during the Colts/Generals game last night. The word Oshawas management is getting is that the Flyers are very happy with Laughtons camp and are seriously considering keeping him up. Obviously real games will tell the tale.

@flyercanuck

Wow. Don't you fear that he's only looking great in camp relative to the inactivity of some other players? Once everyone gets up to speed, game shape and has the timing worked out, he will start to look like a guy who should be in Junior still, but it will be too late...

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him. He continues to impress. He obviously plays a very complete game. You still want Maatta, lol?