Cherry defends Rinaldo

Guest DAXflyer

For what it's worth, they just reviewed the Rinaldo/Crombeen fight on HNIC. Don Cherry absolutely defended Rinaldo, saying he didn't punch Crombeen while he was on the ice, just on the way down. Of course anyone watching the game with objectivity would already know this. MacLean was arguing he punched him while down, and there should be a suspension, blah blah blah. Like I said during the game, the announcers did not mention anything when Lecavalier did the exact same thing (punching his opponent on the way to the ice) as Rinaldo.

Good for Grapes!

@DAXflyer Just saw that also, very cool of Don to stick up for Rins...loved the video where Rinaldo was asking the ref if he hit him when he was down, and the TB player "I'm not like that".....great point by Grapes, Zac is a wild swinger, hits to hurt with no mercy, those wild guys have a real hard time not punching....it's gut insticnt.

For what it's worth, they just reviewed the Rinaldo/Crombeen fight on HNIC. Don Cherry absolutely defended Rinaldo, saying he didn't punch Crombeen while he was on the ice, just on the way down. Of course anyone watching the game with objectivity would already know this. MacLean was arguing he punched him while down, and there should be a suspension, blah blah blah. Like I said during the game, the announcers did not mention anything when Lecavalier did the exact same thing (punching his opponent on the way to the ice) as Rinaldo.

Good for Grapes!

Cherry = Bruin. Having grown up in the 70's with them as my team, he gets it. Let's bring back to the game what the game was built on not all the xussy business there is today. No Instigator Rule.

• Like 1

Too bad everyone seems to give Lecavalier a pass, without question.

This is why I can barely listen to any of these analysts. These same guys that will beg for a Rinaldo suspension will praise Lecavalier for his toughness even though Rinaldo didn't punch him while he was down and Vinny clearly did.

Why is it that there are clear favorites in the NHL and guys who are clear goats? I really do not understand why you don't let the players write their own story instead of having announcers and referees and discipline committees write their story for them.

• Like 2

The interesting part of that interview is not what Don Cherry said (which was very typical Don), but Ron MacLean. They played the clip of Rinaldo checking with the ref to make sure he didn't hit him when he was down, and the ref said "we're all good" and then he was explaining himself to a Lightning player (can't remember who... St.Louis, maybe?). And then Ron says "I don't buy it"?

I don't know... you certainly wouldn't see a real douchebag like Carcillo go to those lengths to make sure he respected the 'code'. As much as Carcillo provided a spark sometimes when he was here, I never ever liked him as a player. He seems completely dishonest and a hack.

But Rinaldo's a young kid who has a ton of energy just trying to earn his spot with the big club, and he seemed genuinely concerned.

• Like 2

I don't know... you certainly wouldn't see a real douchebag like Carcillo go to those lengths to make sure he respected the 'code'. As much as Carcillo provided a spark sometimes when he was here, I never ever liked him as a player. He seems completely dishonest and a hack.

But Rinaldo's a young kid who has a ton of energy just trying to earn his spot with the big club, and he seemed genuinely concerned.

man you said that so well I had to quote it. I feel (felt) the same way about Carcillo. Once in awhile yeah he gave the team a big spark but most of the time he was just a clown. I don't know about "dishonest" but def "phony" - actually come to think of it they're the same thing (duh).

anyway - great post Brelic. And fk Ron Maclean.

• Like 1

I don't know about "dishonest" but def "phony"

Yeah, "phony" is a much better word to describe him. The head whips, checking for blood when he hasn't even been hit, and dropping to the ice like he's been shot by a 12 gauge. Total phony.

Here is the video of Coach's Corner from last Saturday, after you sit through the 30 second commercial, Don starts talking about Rinaldo at the 3:28 point. The one thing I did notice when re-watching....Ron was right, the *only* reason Crombeen was not down and out on the last punch is because Rinaldo had a wicked hold of his jersey, essentially stopping him from being all the way down. I'm still ok with it, it will deter others from taking liberties with G....if teams smell a weakness in sticking up for him....they will be out to injure him. That kinda stuff gets around the league pretty quick I think, including the fact they did stick up for him and it cost Croms. Zac did his job, and did it well.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanada/coachscorner/video/#id=2333541400

Edited by jammer2

Yeah, "phony" is a much better word to describe him. The head whips, checking for blood when he hasn't even been hit, and dropping to the ice like he's been shot by a 12 gauge. Total phony.

Wait.. we're on Carcillo right? Because this sounds a lot like Hartnell... ;)

Here is the video of Coach's Corner from last Saturday, after you sit through the 30 second commercial, Don starts talking about Rinaldo at the 3:28 point. The one thing I did notice when re-watching....Ron was right, the *only* reason Crombeen was not down and out on the last punch is because Rinaldo had a wicked hold of his jersey, essentially stopping him from being all the way down. I'm still ok with it, it will deter others from taking liberties with G....if teams smell a weakness in sticking up for him....they will be out to injure him. That kinda stuff gets around the league pretty quick I think, including the fact they did stick up for him and it cost Croms. Zac did his job, and did it well.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp.../#id=2333541400

I would NOT be okay with it if Rinaldo knew the only thing keeping Crombeen up was his own grip on his jersey. Having said that, I seriously don't think in the heat of the fight he could know he was supporting all Crombeen's weight, especially with a linesman in there as well. I don't think Rinaldo could possibly register that Crombeen was out and wouldn't be standing back up from his knees.

And I'm kind of surprised you'd be okay with that... that's beyond douchebag to me, and if the guy is out and you know it, but you keep laying blows to the head, that's a serious attempt to cause serious injury, and lowers him to the same level as McSorley's stick to Brashear's head. He should be banned from the sport at that point.