Would anyone here trade Couturier for Ryan OReilly

pensuck

I have to say...I'm not drinking the cool aid on Coots. I think he could turn into a nice player but he should not be untouchable. I see very little jump from the kid out there. If you're losing Coots but adding another young/talented player with a different skill set, why not?

Give him the chance to get through this sophomore slump and then see where he stands. At the end of that third season,

Him and Schenn were scoring over a PPG in the AHL during the lockout. The guy is going to be a dynamo, everyone needs to have some patience.

• Like 3

briere is an interesting trade chip, though. he might have some value.

while briere is a great teammate, he is too small and his play has dropped off precipitously.

PPG player in the playoffs. I loved LeClair, but LeClair was a no show in the playoffs. I will keep my PPG playoff player, than you very much. (not to mention his leadership and teammate attributes).

If you're losing Coots but adding another young/talented player with a different skill set, why not?

Are you kidding me? I just don't get this. His role is to be be a shut down center on the team. He is producing higher offensively this year than last year. The biggest thing is that this year he is playing "mike richards" minutes (19 minutes a game) and all game situations. Give the 20 yearl old some time. I mean who would you want to get for him. The two hardest positions to get in hockey are are G, C and D. We have a core of of C to set us up for a long time. The G is panning out better this year. The D needs help. Anyone that has aspirations to win the SC on a abbreviated season is smoking way too much. Let it ride out.

• Like 2

Are you kidding me? I just don't get this. His role is to be be a shut down center on the team. He is producing higher offensively this year than last year. The biggest thing is that this year he is playing "mike richards" minutes (19 minutes a game) and all game situations. Give the 20 yearl old some time. I mean who would you want to get for him. The two hardest positions to get in hockey are are G, C and D. We have a core of of C to set us up for a long time. The G is panning out better this year. The D needs help. Anyone that has aspirations to win the SC on a abbreviated season is smoking way too much. Let it ride out.

I'd hope he would be producing more with more minutes. Also, you said the hardest positions to get in hockey are C, G and D... you named just about every position. I agree that the kid could be very good in the future. But is his potential really that much greater than a guy like Ryan O'Reilly? If you're trading a young talented player for another young talented player with similar ceilings just different skill sets...Then whats the issue?! Everyone is way too high on this kid for the limited production he has shown. I hope he's a star in the next year or two as much as anyone else. But it's tough for me to pass up on potentially making the team better because of what he could become.

I have to say...I'm not drinking the cool aid on Coots. I think he could turn into a nice player but he should not be untouchable. I see very little jump from the kid out there. If you're losing Coots but adding another young/talented player with a different skill set, why not?

what skill set are you thinking of ?

unless it is for the prized gem stone defensman who's can't miss i say no. shultz in edmondton i think hard about it, popeye jones's boy seth after the draft, i think hard about that too. i'm sure there are others i cannot think of at the moment rinehart or keokooku maybe or pouilot, well strike pouliot, i'd never trade couts in the conference let alone the division.

he's got too much brain smarts and size to trade him for a big winger who can muck it up in the corners .

all that to say it would have to be for the other team's prize defenseman.

In this case, maybe because the player in question (O'Reilly) doesn't seem to actually have a significantly different skill set than Couturier:

"

Talent Analysis

O'Reilly is a thinking-man's player who has excellent anticipation and knowledge of the game, which enables him to be in the right place at the right time. O'Reilly's proven to be an excellent penalty killer and excels at the defensive aspects of the game. He's an excellent playmaker who has also shown an increasing aptitude for putting the puck in the net.

Criticisms of O'Reilly are a lack of scoring touch and perimeter play at times.

Future

Projects as a top-six forward with size. Now on the roster of the Colorado Avalanche."

Sounds very much like an analysis of Couturier to me. Nobody is untouchable. But Couturier is arguably the Flyers most valuable potential trading piece. If you are going to trade him, you trade him for something the team really needs (trade from area of strength to address area of weakness), for instance, a good puck moving defenseman. Trading him just for for the sake of making a trade, for a player who (based on scouting reports) doesn't project to be as good, is just a waste of an asset.

In this case, maybe because the player in question (O'Reilly) doesn't seem to actually have a significantly different skill set than Couturier:

"

Talent Analysis

O'Reilly is a thinking-man's player who has excellent anticipation and knowledge of the game, which enables him to be in the right place at the right time. O'Reilly's proven to be an excellent penalty killer and excels at the defensive aspects of the game. He's an excellent playmaker who has also shown an increasing aptitude for putting the puck in the net.

Criticisms of O'Reilly are a lack of scoring touch and perimeter play at times.

Future

Projects as a top-six forward with size. Now on the roster of the Colorado Avalanche."

Sounds very much like an analysis of Couturier to me. Nobody is untouchable. But Couturier is arguably the Flyers most valuable potential trading piece. If you are going to trade him, you trade him for something the team really needs (trade from area of strength to address area of weakness), for instance, a good puck moving defenseman. Trading him just for for the sake of making a trade, for a player who (based on scouting reports) doesn't project to be as good, is just a waste of an asset.

Completely agree...I wouldn't make a trade for the sake of a trade. And O'Reilly is just an example being the player mentioned in the initial post. My main point is that if we have to potential to improve the team...as you said, no player should be untouchable. Outside of Giroux that is ;)

Completely agree...I wouldn't make a trade for the sake of a trade. And O'Reilly is just an example being the player mentioned in the initial post. My main point is that if we have to potential to improve the team...as you said, no player should be untouchable. Outside of Giroux that is ;)

Well, O'Reilly isn't really just an example- the question was "would you trade Couturier for O'Reilly". My answer is definitely not, for the reasons I gave. Sure, if you have a chance to really improve the team you have to think seriously about it. O'Reilly doesn't figure to be a significant improvement over Couturier, if he's even an improvement at all, and I can't think of any reason why the Flyers would even consider that trade. Now a really good young offensive defenseman... that's a different question.

O'Reilly had 55 pts last year on a bad team. He was 21. Does anyone think Couts will reach 55 pts next year? I hope he does but thats a big jump.

I'm not saying we should trade couts for him but would love to see O'Reilly in ob.

unless it is for the prized gem stone defensman who's can't miss

I agree. This is what we need. More than the scoring. Couts was awesome last season as a 19 year old. He'll be awesome in 2 or 3 years. We have many potentially awesome offensive players on the team and in the system. What we don't have is what you identified. For that, I'd be willing to pull the trigger. But only that.

Van

Do you not remember the year Leclair almost single-handedly carried us to the finals?

Couturier is young, but so is O'Reilly - who is already producing.

You said I was a troll. Why, because I disagree with your illogical reasoning? Please, gimme a break

I have to say...I'm not drinking the cool aid on Coots. I think he could turn into a nice player but he should not be untouchable. I see very little jump from the kid out there

I also am not drinking the cool-aid and i was couturier's biggest supporter last year. The objective fact is he is NOT playing well this year: 6 points and minus 3 while also being demoted from the first penalty killing unit.

O'Reilly had 55 pts last year on a bad team. He was 21. Does anyone think Couts will reach 55 pts next year? I hope he does but thats a big jump.

I'm not saying we should trade couts for him but would love to see O'Reilly in ob.

Couts isn't here to get 55 pts. That would be added bonus if he did. The value he brings is defense. He looks a little off right now, but you have to have someone one the team capable of playing defense against other top players. I wouldn't cough at 55 pts from anyone at this point, but it would be nice if it came from the wing.

Couts isn't here to get 55 pts. That would be added bonus if he did. The value he brings is defense. He looks a little off right now, but you have to have someone one the team capable of playing defense against other top players. I wouldn't cough at 55 pts from anyone at this point, but it would be nice if it came from the wing.

Given his record in juniors, and what I've seen from him in the NHL, there's no doubt in my mind that Couturier is capable of eventually being around a 70-80 pts/season kind of guy. But as you (smarmily of course) say, he's not being put in that role. I liked seeing him get some PP time, but he's relied on to be the third line checking center. For now, he's what Jordan Staal was in Pittsburgh. Which is fine. I think Couturier has more offensive skill than Staal though, so I don't expect him to be a 3rd line center forever.

He's only 22, he had 18 goals and 37 assists last year. He wants btwn 4&5 mil a year. I know Sean is a non touchable player but we need offense and this kid is young too. Just a thought.

I would trade him for a legitamate sniper, but not this guy. How does he think he deserves $4-5 Mil for 18 goals??? Am I missing something??

No way I trade Cooter to see him hoist a cup with another team, or become a consistent 70+ point guy for another team. The talent is there and when he becomes a 2nd line center down the road watch out.

I get what the OP is getting at, but this year for all intents and purposes is a wash. The only way I move him if I were the GM is if a substantial defensemen was returned- like Norris candidate defensemen is returned. Keep in mind, as a rookie he held the Hart Trophy finalist to a respectable 8 pts in the post season.

Other than that, this team should stand pat and reassess this summer.

Edited by Bertmega
  • Like 1