Penguin calls Briere dirtiest player in NHL____ Ummm REALLY

Irishjim

This is precisely about you being a fan of another team. I never hid that fact. All the rest is crap you interjected. In fact, my cooments weren't addressing you directly. They were to another Flyer fan

I don't buy the bs about you and others just being fans who like good hockey discussion. I think your purpose is to be argumentative and smug because you currently have a team that has won a cup and could do it again. Once you lose Malkin and Crosby, and become less talented, you will disappear. Your stature is based on the strength of the team you root for ( its easy to root for a winner), and is fueled by years of watching your team getting whipped up on.

So stand on your dais and shout as loud as you want. In the end, wiin or lose, I will always be Flyer faithful. But your shelf life is based off the success of a team. You will irrelevant soon enough

@B21

"Sidney Crosby is dirty": Nine hundred sixty one vids

"Briere is dirty": Fourty four.

(edit: and that is despite being in the league twice as long.)

OK, diving isn't necessarily dirty, it is just a coward's way of cheating. Crosby can win that title in another thread, OK?

Edited by TedZep

@B21

A lot of those vids are repeats. And Sid lives under ten times the microscope Briere does. How many things has Sid done that are suspend able? Briere?

Done deal hands down Briere loses that one.

@'TedZep

You have the incident with Valabik (taint punch from behind while he's engaging someone else), the Foligno elbow, the Callahan slew and the "fight" with McClean.

I gave you six on Briere...two resulting in suspensions.

Dirty = Briere > Crosby.

OK, diving isn't necessarily dirty, it is just a coward's way of cheating. Crosby can win that title in another thread, OK?

Billy Barber says "hello" - now go ahead and admit that he was a coward, too. I mean the players of today would have no idea that diving works if your guy hadn't pioneered the stragegy.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/hero.cgi?hero_3_

Ouch. Flyer's Web site. I counted three references to Barber's diving.

Speaking of diving, why don'y you ask Timonen, Rinaldo and Hartnell about it?

Speaking of diving, why don'y you ask Timonen, Rinaldo and Hartnell about it?

Hartnell can't skate ;) He falls down all on his own even when no one is around! ;)

Hence that is why we joke about in the game chat...every time Hartnell does a face plant on the ice some types.."Hartnell Down!" :)

Hartnell can't skate ;) He falls down all on his own even when no one is around! ;)

Hence that is why we joke about in the game chat...every time Hartnell does a face plant on the ice some types.."Hartnell Down!" :)

Oh I know. Some of the more comical posts I've seen are on his skating "abilities". I've seen the blue line just up and take him out before...out of nowhere (and not even get called for it).

I have seen him with the occasional embellishment, though. Either way - I don't think diving is 'cowardly' or 'cheating' as some dopes...I mean certain posters...think. I just have a problem with people throwing stones on this specific topic when they live in a glass house.

@B21 Not sure why, but I got a "reported attack site" from that link, my security provider would not let me view it....weird.

Yikes. Seemed OK when I clicked on the link. In any event, it was a Barber career and life synopsis written by Meltzer.

@jammer2

Jammer, my work firewall blocks the site too. Odd because I think it is far safer than philly dot com. Speaking of, can we convince Digity to add an annoying add for Dead Space 2? I believe philly is still using that pop-up even though the game is three years old. lol

@B21

You are a slimy one, Ted. I decided to play along and try your search. Of course, no video results for the exact phrase "Sidney Crosby is dirty." With those words in any order there are actually 6,090. So far the only incidents involving dirty Sidney Crosby are the aformentioned Valabik, Callahan and Foligno incidents. I'll assume MacLean is in there somewhere, too.

Oddly enough, the Steckel hit, the Schenn hit, the Berube comments (talk about guys with no business opening their mouths a la Tanner Glass), the Downie slew and Franzen's knee (not really dirty) all come up, too. Hmmm.

Yikes, Ted. Using your own search criteria I found more dirty hits on Crosby than dirty hits made by Crosby. Hmmmm.

There was also a cool video from 24/7 of Mike Green "Ridin' Dirty" and an adorable little girl named Sydney playing in the mud (getting dirty).

Back to Dirty = Briere > Crosby

P.S. - Another one for Briere came up ironically. 2011 playoffs vs Buffalo. Boards Niedermayer. That's 7 (and counting apparently).

Edited by B21
  • Like 1

@B21 I think Briere is a dirty player, he uses his stick to protect himself and his small frame. He uses it carelessly and quite often with intent to injure. He's not even close to the dirtiest player in the league like has been alleged, but he's no choir boy. How about lowering the stick and actually working out, getting something more than a little girls body type to protect yourself....that would be a nice start.

I'm often puzzled how pro athletes can have no bi-cep, no arm muscle at all...Sure Gretzky was like that, but Danny B is no Wayne.....pick up a weight and make yourself stronger for God's sake....he makes millions of bucks a year and I've seen swim suit modles with bigger arms...it's outrageous. Shows a lack of wanting to improve yourself IMHO.

Edited by jammer2

@Polaris922 That's just it, he knows he is skilled and can slide by with a less than stellar work out regime. It's lazy and there is no excuse for it. There is more to hockey than cardio vascular training....actual strength and endurance can go a long way..,...AND because he is a veteran, it sends the wrong message to the kids.

@B21 I think Briere is a dirty player, he uses his stick to protect himself and his small frame. He uses it carelessly and quite often with intent to injure. He's not even close to the dirtiest player in the league like has been alleged, but he's no choir boy. How about lowering the stick and actually working out, getting something more than a little girls body type to protect yourself....that would be a nice start.

I'm often puzzled how pro athletes can have no bi-cep, no arm muscle at all...Sure Gretzky was like that, but Danny B is no Wayne.....pick up a weight and make yourself stronger for God's sake....he makes millions of bucks a year and I've seen swim suit modles with bigger arms...it's outrageous. Shows a lack of wanting to improve yourself IMHO.

Agree, Jammer. Dirty for sure but not cracking the top 10 and certainly not in Cooke territory. Just taking issue with the idea that Crosby is dirtier than Briere (with 900+ You Tube hits as evidence).

I'll take your word for it on his muscle tone...never seen him sans shirt that I can recall. Might be in good cardio shape...just maybe not Jack Lalane (who was also taller).

@jammer2

I have read that Briere had done a lot of core strength training, started as a result of an injury in his days with the sabres. He credited C Drury with " showing him the light" as far as training goes. As far as his chicken arms ... Well I've strength trained for many years and my biceps never got to be Popeye looking , not for lack of trying, it's just how my body type is, that muscle is long on my frame it is strong but the girls don't swoon over it... Not that they're even looking :-)