Bryzgalov thinks Flyers are ‘done’ if NJ Devils sweep

I'm kind of surprised so many people have problems with this statement? This isn't a doom and gloom statement this is a hey we need to get our crap together statement. Honestly it's weird coming from Bryz and not Giroux. This is something that should be said to get your team a wakeup call and get off their lazy asses. Props to Bryz in this instance, now let's see if it works.

• Like 2

Good for Bryz. It's not a newsflash that this team sucks right now, so he's stating the obvious.

His play has been good enough this year for the team to contend, can't say the same for the rest of the team or coaching staff.

• Like 1

honestly I dont' have a problem with what he said. In fact it is about time somebody stood up and faced facts. Just my opinion.

--- agree... at least he is saying something that is actually factual. If they lose it is going to take a miracle to get to the playoffs. I have no issue w/ him saying this... now, he has to back it up which could be a different story.

Kind of changing the topic here but I would like to call on some of the verterans of the board... Can anyone remember a Goalie, a top tier Goalie, that ever had a really ****ty defense in front of him?

You are right Andy... tight but they win these two and it could be afun couple of weeks... although, if the lose... well - you know! I like your optimism but unfortunately I just see this team withering like a dried up grape - a plum if you will:0")

• Like 1

You are right Andy... tight but they win these two and it could be afun couple of weeks... although, if the lose... well - you know! I like your optimism but unfortunately I just see this team withering like a dried up grape - a plum if you will:0")

The maddening thing (at least for me) is that when this team decides to play the full 60 minutes, they seem nearly unbeatable.

So they have to know that they have it in them.

I like the new 3rd line. It stops short of parking Briere or Cooter in the press box (healthy scratches), but it definitely sends a message that top 6 ice time isn't given out based on past performance. And just maybe putting them on the ice against the other teams' lesser D-men will free up their dormant offensive game.

If last season's playoff humiliation isn't enough to motivate these guys against the Devils, nothing is.

• Like 1

--- agree... at least he is saying something that is actually factual. If they lose it is going to take a miracle to get to the playoffs. I have no issue w/ him saying this... now, he has to back it up which could be a different story.

Kind of changing the topic here but I would like to call on some of the verterans of the board... Can anyone remember a Goalie, a top tier Goalie, that ever had a really ****ty defense in front of him?

I think when Curtis Joseph was in Toronto their D was kind of crappy. I just remember him getting bombarded with shots whenever I'd see him play, and that he was 1st star almost everytime Toronto won a game.

I think when Curtis Joseph was in Toronto their D was kind of crappy. I just remember him getting bombarded with shots whenever I'd see him play, and that he was 1st star almost everytime Toronto won a game.

FC - you are right... I am just trying to recall the defensive prowess that was in fornt of the top goalies in the past. I think Bryz has played well (not great) this year and think any Goalie in Philly will get criticized... I am not a Bryz fan per say but I suspect the defense in front of him does not make his job any easier...

• Like 1

Meanwhile at the Stately Snider Manor, Ed is holding Meela hostage and will not release her unless Bryz wins 16 games. Also, the Diabolical Eddie has Paul Holmgren on the phone with Petr Nedved's agent.

051120AAAluminium_Cage_Siberian_Husky.jpg

You are twisted, demented, sick, and completely correct.

• Like 2

FC - you are right... I am just trying to recall the defensive prowess that was in fornt of the top goalies in the past. I think Bryz has played well (not great) this year and think any Goalie in Philly will get criticized... I am not a Bryz fan per say but I suspect the defense in front of him does not make his job any easier...

The problem is not Bryz. This board confuses Bryz "personalty" with his performace. Not. Put a legit NHL D in front of Bryz. That is the only way to know. The D is the fundamental problem with this team. When you reach for the fences Mr. GM, this is what you get. It has got to be hard though for Holmgren with those Snider spurs always getting jabbed into his side as Ed rides him around Wells Fargo..

• Like 1

@BearOnIce So, you are saying Bryz does not have flawed fundamentals? Nothing he does throws up red flags? The very weak one on one play ie breakaways, shoot outs etc....how long it takes him to get back up when down? The horrible rebound control? How is the rebound control or any of the other skills I alluded to a "defensive" problem? Granted, the d is not great in front of him, but Bryz *is* the problem. He does not stop the simple shots that goalies are requred to stop....one or two softies each game, many of them his fault entirely.

I can't remember for sure, but when I think of good goalies on not so good teams the name that usually comes to mind is Rogie Vachon with LA. Looking back at where the Kings finished during his career there, they seem to have had some decent years but I honestly can't remember a single player from those teams other than Vachon. Not off the top of my head anyway.

Edit: Ok, Marcel Dionne and Butch Goring. Two notables.

Edited by JackStraw

@flyercanuck Bryz is brutal at handling the puck, they should instruct him to never touch it in back of the net if at all possible. Quite the swing when you see a Brodeur basically acting as a 3rd d-man back there, even beautiful picture perfect break out passes from Marty....a far cry from this slug. I don't know how other posters defend this guy, they are watching a much different game than me.

@flyercanuck Bryz is brutal at handling the puck, they should instruct him to never touch it in back of the net if at all possible. Quite the swing when you see a Brodeur basically acting as a 3rd d-man back there, even beautiful picture perfect break out passes from Marty....a far cry from this slug. I don't know how other posters defend this guy, they are watching a much different game than me.

I definitely am. I don't like the contract, but I don't think he's as horrible as people are making him out to be. I do think with a remotely competent defense he could limit himself to only one ridiculously pathetic goal per game.

• Like 1

As often as I hammer Bryz for not being able to stop the puck, this "Headline" story is pure $hit Stirring by the philly writers. Was it smart for him to say it? Probably not, but his remarks are accurate. I hope he can step up and be the difference for a change. The rest of the team as others have pointed out have made similar statements without the "SO AND SO SAYS WERE DOOMED HEADLINE" story line from philly's finest (writers).......

I definitely am. I don't like the contract, but I don't think he's as horrible as people are making him out to be. I do think with a remotely competent defense he could limit himself to only one ridiculously pathetic goal per game.

Time for you to lay off the glue sniffing rux..........only one pathetic goal a game? Yeah....right..... :rolleyes:

@ruxpin " I do think with a remotely competent defense he could limit himself to only one ridiculously pathetic goal per game."

You do realize how odd that sounds, right? LOL, this is a #1 starting goalie we are talking about, he should not be allowing any such goals on a consistant basis. So, by your reasoning, the defense is responible for one weak leaky goal per game and Bryz has to own the other one. This kind of split does not sound right to me. why are we the only team in the league where the supposed star goalie is allowed this type of incompetence.

I honestly can't recall the last game Bryz didn't allow at least one weak goal, minus of course the shut out. If he does post a game like that, you know as well as I do that it's a rare occurance. How is this somebody you want to build around, based on that assessment?

@BearOnIce So, you are saying Bryz does not have flawed fundamentals? Nothing he does throws up red flags? The very weak one on one play ie breakaways, shoot outs etc....how long it takes him to get back up when down? The horrible rebound control? How is the rebound control or any of the other skills I alluded to a "defensive" problem? Granted, the d is not great in front of him, but Bryz *is* the problem. He does not stop the simple shots that goalies are requred to stop....one or two softies each game, many of them his fault entirely.

Jammer...I have a ton of respect for u and u have an incredible amount of hockey knowledge. That being said, I have to disagree with u here. Bryz has his faults no doubt but it goes way deeper than that. This entire team has been just plain bad. And if Bryz was as bad as some people have said, how did he carry the Coyotes all those seasons? I know the team played a more defensive style but if Bryz was as inept as some make him out he wouldn't make an NHL squad!