The value of Matt Read

I can foresee the same happening with Schenn or Coots... being forced to the wing to get more playing time on the top two lines. They did the same with Carter, Briere, Giroux. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. That seems to be our MO.

It hasn't worked out yet. I would rather see some real wingers as opposed to trying to convert centers.

• Like 2

I want to see Read stay. With only his second contract, isn't his raise limited somewhat? The guy's play just reminds me of Rod Brindamour, a guy who could and did play in every situation and did it well.

I want to see Read stay. With only his second contract, isn't his raise limited somewhat? The guy's play just reminds me of Rod Brindamour, a guy who could and did play in every situation and did it well.

It would only be limited if he was an RFA finishing his ELC (entry-level contract). At that point, there is a 10% qualifying offer that the team can put in, and the player can choose to sign it or not, but at that age he is not eligible for arbitration.

In Read's case, he was an undrafted free agent signing, so he's on a regular SPC (standard player contract). He's a UFA at the end of the 3 years, and his raise is limited only to what some crazy GM will give him ;)

It would only be limited if he was an RFA finishing his ELC (entry-level contract). At that point, there is a 10% qualifying offer that the team can put in, and the player can choose to sign it or not, but at that age he is not eligible for arbitration.

In Read's case, he was an undrafted free agent signing, so he's on a regular SPC (standard player contract). He's a UFA at the end of the 3 years, and his raise is limited only to what some crazy GM will give him ;)

Thanks for the clarification brelic. I hope he REALLY likes his team and his chances here in philly and will be happy with a reasonable contract and raise.

I would keep Matt Read. I see him a little bit like a Martin St. Louis who entered the league later and then blossomed. St. Louis only earned a spot at 25, and he got 40 points his rookie year, 35 the next (in 53 games). After that, he really took off and reached the upper levels.

I'm not saying that Read will do the same, just that he reminds me a bit of St. Louis in the way he plays the game and his skillset.

I don't think we've seen the best of Read.

That's a good comparison. I was thinking along the lines of Gagne although without Gagne's 'size'.

He has a great shot, good hands and always knows where to be and where to put the puck.

Thanks for the clarification brelic. I hope he REALLY likes his team and his chances here in philly and will be happy with a reasonable contract and raise.

I hope so! I put his value at somewhere between $3.0M and $4.5M. I think it's closer to the low end, but a bidding war would push it to the high end.

It's hard to pin him down, but maybe comparables like Matt Moulson ($3.13M), Nick Foligno ($2.5M), Clarke MacArthur ($3.25M), Rich Peverley ($3M).

@brelic

I think it will probably be something like that...or 3 yr deal at 3mil 1st yr,3.5 mil 2nd yr, and 4.0 for the 3rd. The guys has shown the skills to not look lout of place on any line or situation they put him in. I think that would be a fair contract to both parties.

Edited by flyerrod

I don't think Read has Brindy's leadership or grit. I'd like to see him stay, too.

But, with the theory being that you have to give something to get something - of the Flyers' (tradeable) forwards, who would you deal?

Schenn, Couturier, Read... Laughton... Cousins...?

I'm taking Jake and Simmonds off the table (not that Homer is).

If it turns into a cap numbers game, I could see them dealing Schenn, if not for just acquiring his brother. Couturier's sophomore slump may have diminished his value pending performance next season.

I think Read's gone by the trade deadline if they haven't worked out an extension before then.

But, with the theory being that you have to give something to get something - of the Flyers' (tradeable) forwards, who would you deal?

Couturier would be the obvious choice. His stock may have fallen a bit this year but he will still bring more in return than Read. GMs around the league will know his situation this year (3rd line center on a bad team). Laughton should be able to fill that 3rd line center role as soon as next year, there just isn't a good place for Couturier on the Flyers. I don't see them trading Schenn a year after trading for his brother. Read will be harder for the Flyers to replace than Couturier, imo.

Couturier would be the obvious choice. His stock may have fallen a bit this year but he will still bring more in return than Read. GMs around the league will know his situation this year (3rd line center on a bad team). Laughton should be able to fill that 3rd line center role as soon as next year, there just isn't a good place for Couturier on the Flyers. I don't see them trading Schenn a year after trading for his brother. Read will be harder for the Flyers to replace than Couturier, imo.

I can get on board with trading Couturier over Read.

I have a feeling Schenn will get in the $3M range. Couturier probably a shorter deal for $2M or so, barring a breakout season next year. And I do see Read in the $3-4M area that others have suggested.

The problem with Read is that he is a UFA at the end and can name his place and probably pretty close to his price. From where I sit, it's harder to fit Read under those circumstances than Couturier.

I just can't get past the feeling that what you see is pretty much what you get with read. I mean, he is 26 (27 in June). He's as physically mature as he is gonna get. His comfort level in the nhl will increase, maybe, but 121 games in, I don't see a lot of room for amazing growth. I know Martin st Louis happened, but.... I dunno. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a tenacious 50/60 point forward, but that's 6/7 forward area. You need that on your roster, but not something to be shielded from trade possibilities.

I just can't get past the feeling that what you see is pretty much what you get with read. I mean, he is 26 (27 in June). He's as physically mature as he is gonna get. His comfort level in the nhl will increase, maybe, but 121 games in, I don't see a lot of room for amazing growth. I know Martin st Louis happened, but.... I dunno. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a tenacious 50/60 point forward, but that's 6/7 forward area. You need that on your roster, but not something to be shielded from trade possibilities.

I agree I guess. But if he gets 50/60 points a year AND kills penalties, I'm happier than a pig in ****. Because, for me, he's getting bonafide 2nd line points on largely 3rd line minutes. That works for me. I do, by the way, think your 50/60 is a fairly sound assessment,

We have a lot of grade B - B+ players on our team. A few grade A players, a good amount of grade C players.

Do we trade a few grade B/B+ player to go for grade A players, or trade grade B - B+ players for more of the same grade players.

Our GM needs to spreadsheet our team and pieces with his coaches and start drawing up strategies as to how they are going to pursue this summer along with their drafting position/s. And then there's the small salary cap issue.

Our GM needs to spreadsheet our team and pieces with his coaches and start drawing up strategies as to how they are going to pursue this summer along with their drafting position/s

They have a plan.

Two words!

OUIJA BOARD!!!!