Pens get Brendan Morrow

ctid

Am I the only one who feels the Penguins overpaid? Brendan Morrow hasn't been relevant for several years. I know the Pens are loaded with defensive prospects on the cusp but it seems like a lot for a guy on the decline..... Of course the Pens and Stars have a history of forward for defensemen deals

• Like 2

makes sense to me. Morrow is your prototypical "heart and soul" guy and you can't have too many of those types. Sure he's old and he hasn't shown much this year - he's on a crappy team - but he gives you 100% effort on every shift. You need more grit down low, somebody who can forecheck and hit but also has great vision and puck control, you get it with Morrow. I don't know anything about the prospect you gave up but to me this is a smart addition.

Morrow is not exactly ancient at 34, but man his stats the last two years say he's a man on the decline (like Briere). I don't watch a lot of Stars hockey. Is it how they're using him or is he pretty much washed up?

Time will tell on this one, prospect for aging veteran is always an iffy situation. I wonder if they talked to Morrow ahead of time, and also asked him whether he'd be amenable to taking a pay cut to resign for a few years too also, otherwise, I don't see a win here(unless he scores the winner in game 7 in the cupfinal). This could shore up the third/fourth line for the Pens, at not a great cost. But still, giving up a 20 yr old defenseman? Ugh.

But Shero has a good record with trades. As we like to say, "In Ray we trust".

• Like 1

This move doesn't hurt the Pens but I don't see this as "the move" that secures the cup.

Actually I don't know if they need to make any moves, ride Orpik's last gasp, Niskanen is looking like a solid set him and forget him 2nd pairing guy today but still has upside & could be top pairing with the right partner. A lot of nice d prospects in the pipeline even with the Morrow trade.

If anything they need a defenseman in case Breck girl doesn't come back playing to his usual level. But to get a difference maker teams may ask a steep price, Bennett or another top guy Pouilot, and those guys are untouchable IMO.

• Like 1