Flyers interested in Dan Boyle: Panaccio

brelic

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/source-flyers-have-interest-dan-boyle

I seriously hope all of these rumours to has-beens and over the hill vets are just smoke and mirrors, because I'll blow a gasket if we get either of those two on our team at the expense of youth or picks.

PITTSBURGH – No one knows for certain whether the San Jose Sharks, who remain in the playoff hunt, will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline next month.

Or whether they will be willing to part with either Dan Boyle or soon-to-be free agent Douglas Murray. Both are integral parts of their defense.

If, however, the Sharks are willing to trade the 36-year-old Boyle, who has a year left on his six-year, $40 million contract with a whopping $6.6 million cap hit, the Flyers have interest.

Provided the price tag to acquire him is reasonable, according to an NHL source.

Boyle has a limited no-trade clause, which means there are eight teams in which Boyle would approve to be dealt to.

As CSNPhilly.com reported on Saturday, both Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and hockey operations director Chris Pryor, were scouting the Sharks in Minnesota this weekend and are interested in 5-foot-10 Boyle beyond this season.

The Flyers’ brass was also there for the WCHA Tournament.

Though he’s not the same player he was when he won the Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay in 2004, Boyle is a mobile defenseman who can move the puck, and would be an instant upgrade to the Flyers' struggling defense.

It all depends whether the Flyers decide to buy or sell at the deadline. Right now, much like the Sharks, they’re not a strong favorite to make the playoffs.

Club sources say if any moves are made it will be in the organization’s interests beyond just this season.

• Like 1

Bobby Clarke still lives on in Flyer thinking. Get a veteran and he will win for you. NOT

You mean kicking Clarke upstairs and hiring his protege to carry on hasn't resulted in a complete change of direction in this team's acquisition strategy?

Colour me shocked.

I don't know how either of those guys helps the team going forward, maybe Campbell, but with his contract he'll be tarred and feathered here the first time he's on the ice for a goal against especially if he's not laying waste to opposition forwards...which isn't his game, at all.

I hope it's smokescreen for a different and sensible move...a Foresburg for Timmonen and Hartnell move not an Upshall and a second for Carcillo move.

Difficult to know what to expect though.

You mean kicking Clarke upstairs and hiring his protege to carry on hasn't resulted in a complete change of direction in this team's acquisition strategy?

Colour me shocked. You said it so much better than me!!!!

Somone mentiouned the Flyer brass is unusually quiet right now.... this could be nothing more than posturing to impact the market for what they really want. Not that I know what that is