You're Paul Holmgren...

Guest ZeZel25

<br />You may've misunderstood me, I think. *I* am not advocating a quick fix. But the Flyers always operate in a quick-fix mindset.<br />

no, I understood you. i'm saying I don't think a quick fix is available, even assuming that is what they would ultimately want to do. like I said, the flyers don't have talent in non-roster-critical areas to offer, and there are no high end guys out there on the block. when the pronger move was made, the flyers had sbisa to offer, and the ducks were looking to move pronger. now, the flyers would have to carve holes out of an already thin roster to pull anyone in, and the price would be that much higher because no one is shopping their stars around. the flyers would have to offer enough to convince the team to move their highend guy.

the only thing that could happen is something like b schenn, simmonds, couturier, and a 1st for yandle. which I think even Holmgren and snider can see would do more harm than good.

I think the flyers are going to be forced to do this the right way, for at least a season or two. just because they won't have the ability to do otherwise.

• Like 1

Well the logical choice is to either trade Briere at the draft or buy him out. The same for Bryzgalov, just buy him out because 7 more years of him would be just to hard to take. Find a goalie to sign for a couple of years or maybe trade for Bernier. Holmgren has to shore up the defense through free agency or trade and Couturier might have to be used to achieve that. If the Flyers can resign Gagne to a reasonable 2 or 3 year deal, he will replace Briere as the "French connection/veteran leadership" to Giroux and Couturier.

Edited by Lindbergh31

@Mad Dog

Briere can be bought out.

They'd better take a long hard look at Bryzgalov over the next year and a bit. Cause if they decide to stick with him, they're stuck with him until he decides. And I highly doubt his game is going to get better next year, or the year after that, or 3 years from then, or 2 years after that, or the following year. That's a whole lot of roller coaster goaltending for fans to swallow. I mean it already feels like I've been watching this obscenity for a decade and it hasn't even been a year and a half.

This team could have a totally different look on D and in goal in a few years if they'd come up with a plan and STICK with it. But after next year you're stuck with Bryz for a long long time. He may turn me into a basketball fan by then.

Agree, Aziz..I posted in the Snider comments thread, that I think they keep Bryz next year, and the following year buy him out if he isn't cutting it. Kimmo and Mez are off the books then, and that's $14-15 million right there...much better UFA class the following summer. Again, assuming Homer doesn't do something stupid this summer....

I think the amnesty buyout is only good for this season and the next. At least that's the impression I got out of it. If it's so, they'd better decide by the end of next year whether they want to take their chances with an incconsistent wacko who's skills are going to diminish, if that's possible.

I think right now, if I'm Homer, I try as hard as I can to get another top 12 pick in the 1st round, and if everything goes according to plan, I draft Nurse or Zadorov around the 4-6 spot, and Fucale around 10-12... if he stays on the board that long.

From all reports, Fucale is a tier above all other goalies in this draft. Make it happen Homer.

@brelic

I don't think Fucale is even rated to go in the first round, let alone THAT high Bre. I mean he might go late in the first, but taking him at 10-12 isn't good use of a high pick IMO.

He's 10th on Craig Button's list http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

But you're right, he's not on the top 30 ISS March rankings. I guess that being said, the Flyers need to move into a position right around where his final ranking is, and grab him.

@brelic

I don't think Fucale is even rated to go in the first round, let alone THAT high Bre. I mean he might go late in the first, but taking him at 10-12 isn't good use of a high pick IMO.

I thought for sure he was rated in the first round. A better prospect than Subban and didn't he go in the first round?

Fucale has top notch mechanics and technique. He is always square to the puck and plays pretty relaxed. He does have the tendency to let in a bad one now and again, but playing behind Halifax's offense, he is sometimes falling asleep down the other end while the Mooseheads are pouring the shots on the opposition. I would be very excited for the Flyers to land him.

Edited by TimKerrFan12

Timo/Schenn

Coburn/Meszaros

Grossman

Unless you *trade* one of those guys, that's your top 5 right there

If they were able to pull off a trade for a top flight dman (people keep fantasizing about Weber so we can pretend we're talking about him) to put on the first line and this bumps everyone down a peg, that would already be a very improved defense. Enough to be safely in the playoffs, anyway, provided the goalie can keep up the incredible play he's been providing all year. IF that were to happen, I trade Mez or I include him in the trade for the top flight dman. Gus can work his way in on the second pair with Grossman and Timo/Coburn would be the third pair (keep Timo a little more fresh for PP/PK time).

I make sure I get a quality backup goalie. Hell, even without the word "quality" that sentence would still be an improvement upon this year. There are goalies out there suitable for a 20 game/year backup role and more in the event Bryz either gets injured or is recalled by the mother ship.

The backup goalie should prove easy to do, so it's the top-flight Dman that will be a little more difficult. Just these two things will make next year's team competitive. JUST DON'T GIVE UP DRAFT PICKS TO ACCOMPLISH EITHER OF THESE.

In the meantime, draft wisely and try to get as many dmen/goalies as possible.

Posted · Hidden by brelic, April 1, 2013 - Duplicate
Hidden by brelic, April 1, 2013 - Duplicate

Timo/Schenn

Coburn/Meszaros

Grossman

Unless you *trade* one of those guys, that's your top 5 right there

If they were able to pull off a trade for a top flight dman (people keep fantasizing about Weber so we can pretend we're talking about him) to put on the first line and this bumps everyone down a peg, that would already be a very improved defense. Enough to be safely in the playoffs, anyway, provided the goalie can keep up the incredible play he's been providing all year. IF that were to happen, I trade Mez or I include him in the trade for the top flight dman. Gus can work his way in on the second pair with Grossman and Timo/Coburn would be the third pair (keep Timo a little more fresh for PP/PK time).

I make sure I get a quality backup goalie. Hell, even without the word "quality" that sentence would still be an improvement upon this year. There are goalies out there suitable for a 20 game/year backup role and more in the event Bryz either gets injured or is recalled by the mother ship.

The backup goalie should prove easy to do, so it's the top-flight Dman that will be a little more difficult. Just these two things will make next year's team competitive. JUST DON'T GIVE UP DRAFT PICKS TO ACCOMPLISH EITHER OF THESE.

In the meantime, draft wisely and try to get as many dmen/goalies as possible.

I think right now, if I'm Homer, I try as hard as I can to get another top 12 pick in the 1st round, and if everything goes according to plan, I draft Nurse or Zadorov around the 4-6 spot, and Fucale around 10-12... if he stays on the board that long.

From all reports, Fucale is a tier above all other goalies in this draft. Make it happen Homer.

Or how about, draft Nurse, then trade with Anaheim for Sbisa + John Gibson?

This mock has Furcale going at #27, to the Habs no less! That's right around where I've seen him ranked, between #20 and #28.....but I did see one thta had him at #14.....if somebody really needs goalie help, they might reach for him.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

This mock has us passing up on Nurse, and taking the Finnish star Nuky.!!! WOW, 2 years left in the KHL, and he might never come, maybe he gets offered to much to refuse and signs in Finland/Europe forever!! You'd have to talk people off cliffs if this happens....but on the bright side, if he comes, he's super duper physical and a elite offensive weapon.

Edited by jammer2

The season ends, you miss the playoffs... What 3 moves are first on your agenda? Buyout? Trades?

For me all I want right now is too revamp this pathetic defense. I don't want Simmonds or Rinaldo fighting all the time next year either. Rinaldo proved this year he's valuable ON THE ICE in a checking role so get somebody other than Shelley to do it. Don't care if it's Orr, McGrattan or whoever.

First thing is buyouts.

I like Danny Briere, but his contract is too much for someone not producing consistently. Gone.

As much as I can't blame Bryz this season, if I can buyout or amnesty two contracts, he is gone.

Draft

I honestly do not want to make the playoffs this season and finish as high as possible in the draft. There are two big, physical defenseman that I would select in Darnell Nurse or Nikita Zadorov. Both are big. Both are mean and play a physical game. Neither will be confused with Bobby Orr but would add a defensive responsible, physical and difficult to play against aspect the team needs.

Free Agency/Trades

I think we need some size on the wings and some more grit. I also agree we need a serious badass on the team as this team is too flat too often and lacks an identity. I was hoping Mathers would make the Phantoms this year and develop his game but not happening.

@flyercanuck Ahhh my bad, I *just* watched him in the world jrs. I gotta lay off the mother nature...it's not the first time I messed up Barkov and the Russian. I keep reading great reports about Nicushkin, but yet he sucked at the world jrs....was he playing hurt or something?

I neglected to add my free agents I would target. As I mentioned in my earlier post I think we need to get bigger at the forward position and bring in someone to compliment Giroux, Jake, Couts, Schenn, and Simmonds.

There are 3 free agents who are RW who have size and play with some grit that I would be interested in signing

Nathan Horton - 27, would likely see top line minutes with Giroux and capable of being a 30 goal guy.

David Clarkson - 28 addition by subtraction. The Devils losing him makes them weaker and he can score, drop the mitts but most of all is a PITA to play against.

Tyler Bozak - 27 decent size and I think he is capable of 20 - 25 goals a year at a reasonable price.